Leak Stereo 30 Plus amp

• Thread starter the record spot
  • Start date
T

the record spot

Got an opportunity to pick up the multimedia amp of its' day; a Leak Stereo 30 Plus amp. I say multimedia but admittedly, it could only take tape, tuner but TWO phono inputs; hold your horses folks, stop foaming at the mouth, etc.

Does anyone, and I know I am casting my net and hopes far and wide here, have any info on the sound of the amp, or how easy it is to connect current gear up to it. I'm looking on the web just now but it's a bit thin on relevant details. Totally appreciate most of you probably haven't heard of Leak, but thought it worth a bash asking nonetheless.

russ74

Mar 6, 2008
Visit site
I own a Leak 3400 but it's a later Japanese made receiver when Rank shifted production to Rotel. From what i've read the British made amps have a good reputation for quality sound. The chap at Londonsound rates them highly. They still go for decent money on eBay, I'd bag one myself or the later Delta range but I'm up to my ears with vintage amps.If you want the owners manual its at hifiengine (free download after free registration) & shematic is hereOne thing to check is to make sure it comes with the original 2 pin speaker plugs, they're specific to early british amps & not din plugs.Hope you get the amp and keep us (OK me!) posted on how it sounds.

A

Anonymous

Come on people, JVC had TWO "Gold Plated" phono stages, a tuner input, two aux inputs and two tape loops on their amps in the late 60s...

Record Spot - You won't like it...honestly, the sound quality will be poor. It's one of those breeds of vintage brit-amps which outputted a smaller voltage after the pre-amp stage than what was fed through it!

T

the record spot

Ended up going against it, but not because of the sound quality. It turns out it's a 15wpc amp, but my current speakers are 25w minimum. Reviews were good for it and I got some good feedback on another forum, sound quality is apparently "smooth". Which given my current sound would balance the kit out well. A Leak stereo 20 (different beast entirely) would be a better bet.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:Ended up going against it, but not because of the sound quality. It turns out it's a 15wpc amp, but my current speakers are 25w minimum. Reviews were good for it and I got some good feedback on another forum, sound quality is apparently "smooth". Which given my current sound would balance the kit out well. A Leak stereo 20 (different beast entirely) would be a better bet.

Yes, now a Stereo 20 is awsome, albeit still unreliable...vintage power amps are good, vintage pre-amps...no, no, no....no exceptions, they're all poor...

A

Anonymous

emotion-2.gif
Wow, what a blast from the past. The Leak Stereo 30 takes me back to 1967 to the best of my knowledge when I remember as a spotty teenager being very excited when my Dad proudly brought his new kit home. He also had some Leak speakers and a Goldring Lenco deck.

He still uses the Leak amp today but has it linked up to a Little Pink Thing and some different speakers.

Not bad that. 42 years and not out
emotion-21.gif

Any idea what it might fetch in the open market?

Rgds

Mike

T

the record spot

No idea, but anywhere between £50-£200 depending on when are where you are buying (or selling I guess!) - the Leak valve amps tend to fetch more with collectors and valve fans I think.

Thanks to all who responded - I'd have gone for the 30+ at the drop of a hat to be honest, but the caveat in having to source new speakers (or more likely new to me but used) killed it alas.

Still, having just picked up four cracking CDs for the bargain price of £6 at the Edinburgh record fair this morning has cheered me up no end. God, some masterings are just the mutt's whatsits!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts