LCD vs plasma market stats

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The recent Pioneer announcement (see here) seems to have got some people thinking plasma is in a tailspin, despite other news such as Panasonic (with a far larger market share than Pioneer) opening a new plasma factory with a capacity of one million sets per month.

I thought it'd help if I shared some UK market figures from independent industry analyst, GfK, to show where we are right now:

Total number of TVs sold in the UK in 2007 - 8.6 million.

Amount spent on LCD TVs in 2007 in UK - £3.146 billion (to put that in context, the entire UK consumer electronics market was worth £8.9 billion for the year)

Amount spent on plasma TVs in 2007 in UK - £645 million (again, to put that in context, entire hi-fi separates market in same period was worth £200m).

In terms of units, LCD is outselling plasma three-to-one, but that fits in with the size issue (ie that only 25 percent of TVs sold are 32in+).
Plasma is still dominant at larger screen sizes - during December, for example, plasma outsold LCD by two to one at the larger screen sizes.
And one final interesting stat - of the TVs sold in 2007, 11 percent of the plasmas were bought online, and 14 percent of the LCDs: the rest were bought through standard shops.

Hope this is helpful!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="nads"]TBH the announcement from Pioneer was no surprise. Well i but HD DVD and..... I buy a 50" Pioneer Plasma and....
Still happy though.[/quote]

And so you should be - you've got one of the best TVs around!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
Amount spent on plasma TVs in 2007 in UK - £645,000 million Hope this is helpful!
[/quote]

Good lord! That's nearly 10 grand for every person in the UK on plasmas alone (in one year!!)

jules.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
That's the average premiership footballer's house covered, then.
emotion-5.gif

Don't forget this covers commercial sales, too - hotels, transport (airports; railway stations etc), shopping centres...

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
Plasma's will end-up like HD DVD LCD are sweeping them across the globe and with new technology bigger sizes and lower prices I don't see any future for Plasma I bet in next two years time they will be dead rubber.

I know Panasonic is planing to start new factories in 2009 but like Tosh they will end-up on losing side, you can check these words in two years time if WHSFV still exists
emotion-4.gif

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
Okay, let me get this straight. it's probably easier if we don't mix billions and millions, and assume we mean American billion (i.e. 1000 million).

So:

Amount spent on LCD = £3.146 billion

Amount spent on plasma = £645 billion

So the plamsa market is over 200 times larger than the LCD market! That's unbelievable!

No, really, that's unbelievable...

Let's say the average plasma commercial screen cost £2,000 (probably a lot less, as it's bought in bulk), then we're talking over 322 million plasmas installed in the UK in the last year - that's more than 5 per person!

Are we paving roads with plasmas now?

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Zubkabera"]
Plasma's will end-up like HD DVD LCD are sweeping them across the globe and with new technology bigger sizes and lower prices I don't see any future for Plasma I bet in next two years time they will be dead rubber.

I know Panasonic is planing to start new factories in 2009 but like Tosh they will end-up on losing side, you can check these words in two years time if WHSFV still exists
emotion-4.gif

[/quote] Think you are a little bit East Ham there mate, you know One stop short of Barking!

Plasma like WHSV is here to stay
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Clare,
Are you sure you didn't mean 645 million quid, not 645 billion....?jules.

Dazed and Confused

Sep 10, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jules153"]Clare,

Are you sure you didn't mean 645 million quid, not 645 billion....?
jules.[/quote]

I'm thinking there must be a mistake somewhere - or Heathrow Terminal 5 is CRAMMED with plasmas!

Zubkabera

Nov 15, 2007
Visit site
I apologize to you DJ Krime if in anyway I hurt your feelings I know there are die-hard patriot of this magazine. the reason I say if WHFSV still exist is that no one knows the future and can't predict anything that was my only reason. I hope and pray WHFSV stays till your grand childrens are watching 3d holographic TVs.

A

Anonymous

Oh dear, sorry I asked the question Clare, it seems to have caused a bit of a stink. However ,I think the figures are interesting and I take your point that LCD has a dominant position for all small TV'S. I must admit I think Plasma is doing better than I thought.

I certainly hope LCD does not win out, not unless they improve considerably. I see the Pioneer is down to below £1200 now. It is getting very tempting!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts