LCD 3/X DAC AMP

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Hi everyone,
I have a thread already I've just made on a new hifi setup, but I'm also looking to improve on my headphones.

At the moment I'm rocking some V-Moda M100s which again I've been very impressed with for their clarity/bass response, etc

Again, looking for my end game and my mind is almost set on the LCD 3 or X which can be had for a similar price.

I'm more tempted with the X for its 'portability' but if the LCD 3 sounds that much better, I can be tempted.

What amp/dac would you pair with though?
I use my phone with Spotify Premium as a music source out and about in the house (whilst doing dish washing for example) so something powerful but portable that'd drive the Xs (or 3s) well would be great.

I was looking at the Dragonfly DAC red which I've found on ebay for around £100-£130 typically.
Would this do it? Or would I have to spend a lot more to get the most out of them?

Thanks and sorry for the long posts

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Kage said:
Hi everyone, I have a thread already I've just made on a new hifi setup, but I'm also looking to improve on my headphones.

At the moment I'm rocking some V-Moda M100s which again I've been very impressed with for their clarity/bass response, etc

Again, looking for my end game and my mind is almost set on the LCD 3 or X which can be had for a similar price.

I'm more tempted with the X for its 'portability' but if the LCD 3 sounds that much better, I can be tempted.

What amp/dac would you pair with though? I use my phone with Spotify Premium as a music source out and about in the house (whilst doing dish washing for example) so something powerful but portable that'd drive the Xs (or 3s) well would be great.

I was looking at the Dragonfly DAC red which I've found on ebay for around £100-£130 typically. Would this do it? Or would I have to spend a lot more to get the most out of them?

Thanks and sorry for the long posts

There are two things. One is the ultimate sound quality, and the DF Red is just a starter for a top quality headphone. The other thing is dynamics - people will argue that the DF Red can drive them, and it might do that pretty well on most tracks, but you'll have some tracks where it will be deficient. OTOH, if you can't buy up immediately on the amp, go ahead and get the DF Red, since it's awesome for the money, and plan on a more powerful amp later.

Power makes a huge difference you can hear in a side-by-side comparison, and the DF Red has no power of its own, FYI.

Kage

Jan 17, 2018
Visit site
Thanks you two
Don't worry. I won't do the same I did with headphones as I did my Kefs, but that decision has paid off.

I'll head to a dealer when I get some more money together, hehe.

I won't go for the Dragonflys in that case, but I would want a high quality DAC/AMP that could power LCD 3 style cans portably.
Only because I find I do most of my music listening at night and around the house.
In the day, I'll have the LS50s

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts