Laying bookshelf speakers on their side

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

hg said:
TrevC said:
With a two way with drive units only around 7 inches apart for any cancellation to be a problem you would need to stand way over on one side of the speaker, and at that point it's hard to tell which way up the speakers are anyway. How do I know? I tried it! Angle them towards you with the tweeters on the outside and they sound exactly the same as vertical.

You do not give the crossover frequency but assuming it has a half wavelength of around 2", we are at listening distance of few metres and my rusty trig is OK then the centre of the first cancellation dip will be at an angle of somewhere between 15-20 degrees. Perhaps you cannot hear it but it is the reason almost all speakers place the tweeter above the midrange and many studio monitors go to the expense of putting the tweeter and midrange on a rotatable plate so that they can be used both horizontally and vertically.

Lets assume the wavelength is longer, (crossover at 3kz, about 5") have a listen, and stop arguing for the sake of it. It sounds absolutely fine and there is nothing wrong with my ears.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Lol...you guys, I swear.

It'll make little to no difference. On their side it is possible to alter the 'width' of your soundstage - placing the tweeter on the outside will give a wider soundstage, it'll narrow if placed inside.

But try it - if their high turn them upside down putting the tweeter at the bottom like mission.

Fact is their yours you can do whatever you want with them.... :-D

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
But can you trust them?

TrevC said:
hg said:
TrevC said:
With a two way with drive units only around 7 inches apart for any cancellation to be a problem you would need to stand way over on one side of the speaker, and at that point it's hard to tell which way up the speakers are anyway. How do I know? I tried it! Angle them towards you with the tweeters on the outside and they sound exactly the same as vertical.

You do not give the crossover frequency but assuming it has a half wavelength of around 2", we are at listening distance of few metres and my rusty trig is OK then the centre of the first cancellation dip will be at an angle of somewhere between 15-20 degrees. Perhaps you cannot hear it but it is the reason almost all speakers place the tweeter above the midrange and many studio monitors go to the expense of putting the tweeter and midrange on a rotatable plate so that they can be used both horizontally and vertically.

Lets assume the wavelength is longer, (crossover at 3kz, about 5") have a listen, and stop arguing for the sake of it. It sounds absolutely fine and there is nothing wrong with my ears.

?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Why don't you get a couple of wall brackets? I had some ProAc Tablettes on these which are rear ported and even at high volume they sounded great.

http://www.theplasmacentre.com/tv-stands-and-av-racks/speaker-stands/bt77-b.html

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
Lets assume the wavelength is longer, (crossover at 3kz, about 5") have a listen, and stop arguing for the sake of it.

"Doing the numbers" in order to firm up the facts is arguing for the sake of it? I would suggest you have a rather odd outlook. A half wavelength of 2.5" moves the centre of the null out about 5 degrees to somewhere between 20-25 degrees. So still very much where it is not wanted.

TrevC said:
It sounds absolutely fine and there is nothing wrong with my ears.

Given it sounds absolutely fine to you and there is nothing wrong your ears would you expect it to sound absolutely fine to others?

If so, why do you think almost every speaker designer restricts themselves to putting the tweeter above the midrange (with the odd exception like the one cited above)? Pretty much all the major manufacturers of 3 way studio speakers have the tweeter and midrange on rotatable plates or make separate horizontal and vertical designs. Is it perhaps like the bi-wire connections for home audio speakers where significant sales would be lost if they were not present? Or perhaps the effect is significant in studios but not in the home?

TrevC

"Given it sounds absolutely fine to you and there is nothing wrong your ears would you expect it to sound absolutely fine to others?"

Absolutely. Most bookshelf speakers are 2 way with the drivers located close enough for it not to matter.

Myers

Nov 3, 2014
Visit site
In the late 60's when Goodmans made decent speakers the badge on the grille was rotatable specially to allow the speaker (Mezzo for example) to be horizontal or vertical, not that it matters though *biggrin*

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
TrevC said:
JoelSim said:
Why don't you get a couple of wall brackets? I had some ProAc Tablettes on these which are rear ported and even at high volume they sounded great.

http://www.theplasmacentre.com/tv-stands-and-av-racks/speaker-stands/bt7...

It doesn't matter what it sounds like in theory. I am a big fan of getting a tiny improvement out of a system and the ProAcs that I had were perfectly happy on those very wall brackets. In practice.

Good idea, or maybe not if it sounds bad in theory. *dirol*

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
"Given it sounds absolutely fine to you and there is nothing wrong your ears would you expect it to sound absolutely fine to others?"

Absolutely. Most bookshelf speakers are 2 way with the drivers located close enough for it not to matter.

Despite the simple calculation above showing that it does matter and pretty much every speaker designer on the planet designing their speakers as if it did matter you are confident that it does not? I am not wholly convinced you really believe what you are posting but your declining to answer most of my questions seems to be bringing the discussion to a close.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Do you two want to take your little squabble elsewhere, so people who actually want to advise the OP can without fear of being told how wrong they are?

And before you say it (again) hg, I have advised him, but stated that others may be able to advise him better. You two probably could if you actually stopped repeating the same thing over and over.

No wonder all the experienced members are leaving. *stop*

TrevC

hg said:
TrevC said:

Despite the simple calculation above showing that it does matter and pretty much every speaker designer on the planet designing their speakers as if it did matter you are confident that it does not? I am not wholly convinced you really believe what you are posting but your declining to answer most of my questions seems to be bringing the discussion to a close.

Ah well. I'm sure that, given time, you will eventually get over yourself.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Do you two want to take your little squabble elsewhere, so people who actually want to advise the OP can without fear of being told how wrong they are?

And before you say it (again) hg, I have advised him, but stated that others may be able to advise him better. You two probably could if you actually stopped repeating the same thing over and over.

Please stop. I'll even start a new thread just for you two so you can carry on contradicting each other ad nauseum.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/trevc-and-hg-pointless-argument-thread

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

chebby said:
Gale GS 401

401.2-400x400.jpg

They look awesome with those stands.

TrevC

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Please stop. I'll even start a new thread just for you two so you can carry on contradicting each other ad nauseum.

I've stopped. OK?

TrevC

It occurs to me that similar phase cancellation would also occur when walking around while listening to a stereo pair of speakers reproducing a mono signal, so perhaps our ears are immune to such effects.

Play this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoiHXIwbtnc and walk around. The cancellation effects can clearly be heard.

SteveR750

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I totally agree. It's mostly descended into mostly a series of willy waving battles. Where the hell are the mods in all of this? Even the swear filter appears to have removed. OK, it was arguably a little big brother a couple of years ago, but this is surely not better?

benmarks

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone! It's a fascinating debate! I wasn't smart enough to be allowed to take Physics O level and I only got Grade C in Maths O level. So much of what has been discussed is way over my head!!! Anyway, I'm into Jazz and Pop. I'm always listening. I have a nice amp (Leema Pulse 2) and a high quality CD collection. My speakers are currently Monitor Audio RX1s. Nice but not 'big' enough for the room or me! I like a really strong mid range and base. I have a half decent sub woofer wired up too. Ideally I would get some nice big old floorstanders. But the Mrs doesnt want them! So, what's my budget? I can spend up to around £1800. Music is important to me and I just love hearing that big sound (especially at lowish volumes). Maybe I need to upgrade both my amp and speakers. Ideally I'd just get bigger, sealed speakers that I can lay on their sides. Importantly, I can't use active speakers! They have to be passives.

benmarks

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks everyone! It's a fascinating debate! I wasn't smart enough to be allowed to take Physics O level and I only got Grade C in Maths O level. So much of what has been discussed is way over my head!!! Anyway, I'm into Jazz and Pop. I'm always listening. I have a nice amp (Leema Pulse 2) and a high quality CD collection. My speakers are currently Monitor Audio RX1s. Nice but not 'big' enough for the room or me! I like a really strong mid range and base. I have a half decent sub woofer wired up too. Ideally I would get some nice big old floorstanders. But the Mrs doesnt want them! So, what's my budget? I can spend up to around £1800. Music is important to me and I just love hearing that big sound (especially at lowish volumes). Maybe I need to upgrade both my amp and speakers. Ideally I'd just get bigger, sealed speakers that I can lay on their sides. Importantly, I can't use active speakers! They have to be passives.

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
benmarks said:
I can spend up to around £1800. Music is important to me and I just love hearing that big sound (especially at lowish volumes). Maybe I need to upgrade both my amp and speakers. Ideally I'd just get bigger, sealed speakers that I can lay on their sides. Importantly, I can't use active speakers! They have to be passives.

There are plenty of examples of active for use on their side but not many passive. The JBL LSR6332 is one but it is too big and over budget. Perhaps a pair of passive centre speakers might be worth considering. Maybe the KEF R600C? But a pair of 8" drivers would be preferable particularly if the cabinet is sealed. Anyone?

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
No need to lay speakers on their sides. What about these Guru QM10s. Just 23 cm high. Front-ported (or front-slotted if you like). Designed to be used close to the backwall. Surprisingly deep bass. Dynamic. Available in white, black or red. And with a RRP of £1795 they are within budget too. I hope you can spot a dealer where you can hear them. I think they're just for you...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts