latest projector and screen combo

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
wide subject but it may spark discussion.

I currently have a 52 inch TV and (get this) the wife is fed up with having such a large 'feature' in the lounge. The sitting room is 7 metres long and there is a recess suitable for a screen of 1.85 metres.

So, what is the current favourite for projector and screen. I am unlikely to get away with proposing thousands upon thousands of pounds, it therefore needs to be relaitively sensible.

The other question is whether the picture will match that of my Sony HX905??

Thank you

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Is your room furnished with predominantly light walls and furniture? Getting a good three dimensional looking picture from a projector will rely on blocking any external light, and trying to cut down on reflections from white walls and ceilings. If there's no way round this, you'll be looking around £1500-2000 for a screen like the Draper ReAct which allows high contrast these situations.

One of the projectors of the moment is the Sony HW50, which is a stunner for around 2,700. If that is too much, the new Epson models will worth looking at and start from around £1000.

Set up correctly, a PJ can more than match that of a good TV.

expat

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
Hi i still use a benq 100+ with a glass bead screen you can pick up both second hand on fleabay and the picture is amazing

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
Thanks those figures are nt too scary I was considering around £3k for the projector. I will take a look. My tv is 3d but we've only watched two films in 3d so I'm still not convinced it will take off and the experience isn't quite right for me presently for some reason. The projector will have to be placed to the side of the room and not ceiling mounted.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
jcshutts said:
I currently have a 52 inch TV and (get this) the wife is fed up with having such a large 'feature' in the lounge. The sitting room is 7 metres long and there is a recess suitable for a screen of 1.85 metres.

So, what is the current favourite for projector and screen. I am unlikely to get away with proposing thousands upon thousands of pounds, it therefore needs to be relaitively sensible.

Is the 1.85m space for the screen a maximum measurement? as you have to take into account that the caseing for a screen is wider than the actual screen unless you plan on going down the fixed screen route that is. I have a 92" electric 16:9 screen and the screen is 203cm wide as where the caseing is 230cm wide.

You also say that your room is 7m long and that you wish to position the PJ to one sidebut o mention at which point along the room you wish to place the PJ as the further the PJ is from the screen the picture will look washed out, so you will need to check the PJs throw ratio and if your not positioning the PJ dead centre you will need a PJ with lense shift.

I use a Epson EH-TW6000W and project onto a 92" screen from just over 3m in a non batcave situation and the picture is great! and that PJ was about £1500, If you spend more on the PJ and went for say either the Epson EH-TW8100 or 9100 then these also offer then lense shift function that you will need if placing the PJ off center.

Oh and as to 3D, IMHO its notthat impressie on a TV but stick it onto a large screen and its a hole differant ball game! 3D looks fantastic on large PJ screen! Here are a couple of pics of mine:dance:

8192202817_600546ea5b_z.jpg

8193287140_6389efa28a_z.jpg

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
really helpful thanks. The PJ will be about 5 metres away. Is that going to be a problem? I have made enquiries about the ReAct screen and this is likley to be housed inside the suspended ceiling. The void is 1.8 so not sure on what dimensions I would need for the screen yet. will check. I have asked for an installation guide to get a sense of the challenge of integrating a ceiling retractable screen.

Re the 3D that sounds excellent. Not sure how good the Panasonic PT-AT6000E would be but WHF like it. Will do some reading on the Epson you suggest also.

In the process of trying to get the Yamaha RX A3020 and Apex 5.1 MA speakers so trying not to get too carried away!!!! lol

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
jcshutts said:
really helpful thanks. The PJ will be about 5 metres away. Is that going to be a problem? I have made enquiries about the ReAct screen and this is likley to be housed inside the suspended ceiling. The void is 1.8 so not sure on what dimensions I would need for the screen yet. will check. I have asked for an installation guide to get a sense of the challenge of integrating a ceiling retractable screen.

Re the 3D that sounds excellent. Not sure how good the Panasonic PT-AT6000E would be but WHF like it. Will do some reading on the Epson you suggest also.

In the process of trying to get the Yamaha RX A3020 and Apex 5.1 MA speakers so trying not to get too carried away!!!! lol

The Panasonic you mention is a fine PJ and the Panasonic and Epson share quite a few components, all you must do is check the throw ratio of any PJ you consider along with the amount of lense shift avalible if your looking at having the PJ 5m away and to the side of the screen. All you must take into account whith a PJ is the further it is away from the screen the PJ is then IMHO the brighter the PJ needs to be so IMHO I would look for one with a high brightness level like the Panasonic that youve mentioned. You need to figure out where you plan to put the PJ and your screen size and see if these fall within the PJs lense throw and lense shift limits.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
jcshutts said:
Not sure how good the Panasonic PT-AT6000E would be but WHF like it.

We no longer keep the Panasonic projectors. They're good, and theyve had some useful features, but there has always been better out there, year after year.

Pat one point, digital projectors (DiLA, SXRD, DLP etc) were under threat from the vast steps forward that analogue LCD projectors were making, but that seems to have slowed down now, and digital projectors are (in general) back in the driving seat.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
jcshutts said:

We no longer keep the Panasonic projectors. They're good, and theyve had some useful features, but there has always been better out there, year after year.

Pat one point, digital projectors (DiLA, SXRD, DLP etc) were under threat from the vast steps forward that analogue LCD projectors were making, but that seems to have slowed down now, and digital projectors are (in general) back in the driving seat.

That's a fiar point David and especially at the price point the OP is looking at for the PJ. I did demo the JVC X30 aand loved the PQ but it was way over my budget, so I then had demos of PJs around the grand mark and opted for LCD over a DLP as I could se a Rainbow!!! lol

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
jcshutts said:

That's a fiar point David and especially at the price point the OP is looking at for the PJ. I did demo the JVC X30 aand loved the PQ but it was way over my budget, so I then had demos of PJs around the grand mark and opted for LCD over a DLP as I could se a Rainbow!!! lol

jcshutts

Mar 22, 2008
Visit site
i am quite interested in the latest 4K JVC DLA-X55RBE has anyone had a look at this? Also I am stuck in working out the right screen size for my room! its so complicated!

TRENDING THREADS