Latest mag - digital music article

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I found the Network streaming and digital music article section in the latest magazine issue most helpful.

But I was surprised that no mention was made of the WD TV Live or Live Hub products,

or in fact sililarly priced products other than the Sony SMP100.

With a consumer base of 2 million and continuing firmware upgrades to add more features,

I would have expected some sort on mention of the WD product range.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
I too found the article very interesting, but what I noticed particularly, was the lack of information regarding the most direct and convenient way to get digital music files from your PC or laptop through to speakers using what must be the most widely accessible option...

The article makes particular reference to various external DAC's and media streamers, but surely if you have an AV amp or even an integrated stereo amp with built in digital converters (DAC's), as most do now, all you need is a digital cable connection from PC/Laptop to the amps digital input...simple as that. The PC contains the files and feeds the digital signal to amp which does the decoding to analogue for the speakers ??

Many newer AV amps even have USB connections to allow more convenient connection to a PC or laptop...and if the PC doesn't have a digital output, there are USB plug-ins that will convert the output to optical for a suitable cable..

I find it strange that such a straight forward arrangement isn't more heavily publicised, instead additional boxes and equipment seems to be the accepted way to get iTunes (or similar) through your domestic hi-fi when it seems to me an additional unecessary expense in many circumstances ?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Red Dragon said:
The article makes particular reference to various external DAC's and media streamers, but surely if you have an AV amp or even an integrated stereo amp with built in digital converters (DAC's), as most do now, all you need is a digital cable connection from PC/Laptop to the amps digital input...simple as that.

Most stereo integrated amps don't actually include a DAC, so this would be why they are discussed heavily in the article as if you're moving from a traditional CD based hi-fi, you would probably either need or want to invest in an external DAC. And an AV receiver is hardly ideal for music playback so, although some people may have one already, it wouldn't be the ideal method to stream music. It does of course depend on your existing setup and what you're moving to, but I wouldn't advise anyone to buy an AV receiver to playback their digital music collection unless they were thinking of putting one in anyway for home cinema.

Red Dragon said:
Many newer AV amps even have USB connections to allow more convenient connection to a PC or laptop...and if the PC doesn't have a digital output, there are USB plug-ins that will convert the output to optical for a suitable cable.

I know quite a few amps are coming with USB inputs nowadays, but my understanding was that, in the main, these are for USB sticks or iPod playback and you couldn't attach a PC or Mac direct to these to playback music.

Red Dragon

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
professorhat said:
Red Dragon said:
The article makes particular reference to various external DAC's and media streamers, but surely if you have an AV amp or even an integrated stereo amp with built in digital converters (DAC's), as most do now, all you need is a digital cable connection from PC/Laptop to the amps digital input...simple as that.

Most stereo integrated amps don't actually include a DAC, so this would be why they are discussed heavily in the article as if you're moving from a traditional CD based hi-fi, you would probably either need or want to invest in an external DAC. And an AV receiver is hardly ideal for music playback so, although some people may have one already, it wouldn't be the ideal method to stream music. It does of course depend on your existing setup and what you're moving to, but I wouldn't advise anyone to buy an AV receiver to playback their digital music collection unless they were thinking of putting one in anyway for home cinema.

Red Dragon said:
Many newer AV amps even have USB connections to allow more convenient connection to a PC or laptop...and if the PC doesn't have a digital output, there are USB plug-ins that will convert the output to optical for a suitable cable.

I know quite a few amps are coming with USB inputs nowadays, but my understanding was that, in the main, these are for USB sticks or iPod playback and you couldn't attach a PC or Mac direct to these to playback music.

I take your point Prof about the integrated amps re: onboard DAC's, so an external would definately be required, but as for your statement re: AV amps being hardly ideal as music playback providers...I would personally disagree. as a CA 640R AV amp owner, I find mine perfectly acceptable (if not very impressive) at both surround sound cinema duties and stereo music playback - although I will concede that not all AV amps are similarly gifted !!

I would also suggest that many home systems comprise of AV amps as the main amplification source with integrated amps being generally in the minority, so my suggestion would appeal to many who would like a simple, straightforward and cost effective setup to play iTunes etc through their domestic system.

I think we must remember that not everyone on here is an audiofile with vast sums available to spend on seperate systems for home cinema and audio stereo independantly...

And far as the USB connection facility goes, I can't see why a USB input can't be used to connect directly to a PC or laptop as I suggest, but I will stand to be corrected on that one from someone who can shed some further light on the subject...

TRENDING THREADS