Latest feedback on CD8Se

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I know there have been a lot of comments about the Cyrus CDPs. I am just wondering whether they seem to have sorted out the bugs. Is there a silent majority of people whose machines are problem free?

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Yellow Kid:

Hi all,

I know there have been a lot of comments about the Cyrus CDPs. I am just wondering whether they seem to have sorted out the bugs. Is there a silent majority of people whose machines are problem free?

Have to confess that as a Cyrus fan, I've never been tempted to go to the new generation stuff due to a) the bad reports and mainly b) my CD8 is bomb-proofingly detailed and brilliant.

A

Anonymous

Mine seems to play disc one day, then not the nxt, the same discs.

when it does play its an excellent sounding player, but it can be very fustrating sometimes.

A

Anonymous

Contact Cyrus who will take it back and update the firmware. Free of charge service both ways too.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
There is one disc my 6SE (2010) won't play sometimes, a reload or two and it plays. It's over 78 minutes long, may be a problem reading it, though it's actually disc 2 of a 2cd set and the other one is fine. I have had no trouble at all with any other CDs, although it is sensitive to scratches and greasy fingerprints (which occasionally find their way onto CDs...quick wipe and it's fine).

I can play one disc on repeat for days on end (for burn in), but not one track programmed in memory on repeat - it has stopped playing, and also scrambled the display or meant the track number doesn't change from 1 to 2 when playing a different disc. Since I don't need to play one track repeatedly, it doesn't really matter, but it is a fault.

I've informed Cyrus of all of this, they are helpful but said I'd need to send the player back with the discs to see if they can replicate thefault. For one disc (out of 100s) and a problem that only occurs by doing something I never do in normal listening, I didn't think it was worth it. Will be reminding them of it if I upgrade to 8SE in the future though...

A

Anonymous

This is part of the reason why I am going to use my old CD player as a transport and go for a Cyrus amp with a DAC built in.

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
May as well. May be worth investing in the Qx module, supposed to be much better than the dac in the 8 & PreXPd. That said, you can always return to factory for upgradeto Qx later. Or buy a 6 or 8XP and get one of the many tempting dacs out there for the money you save (about £300, definitely buy you the equivalent or better).

A

Anonymous

LOL!

Isn't it funny that with all the talk that CD technology is "old hat" and that you can't get any more out of the technology, some companies can't even make machines that play the discs after 27 years of development!

Shame there's so few manufacturers left that actually use "proper" laser mechs and proven software nowadays :(

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts