Klipsch Speakers Too Warm Sounding

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I want more detailed and sharper highs but it seems the treble is slightly rolled off. The sound is too smooth and rich sounding. I need a slightly more brighter sound to accomodate my taste in dance, electronic, and trance music. It sounds extremely rich with extended warm vocals, and is great for opera, jazz, easy-listening music. The bass is there but does not seem to integrate well with vocals when playing fast trance/dance music. It sounds quite smooth without any hint of brightness/harshness for jazz, opera music though.

I'm new to hifi and want your input on what I should do make my sound more detailed and dynamic sounding for dance, electronic music. Thanks.

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi, your amplifier looks to be up to the job. I've owned Klipsch speakers before Rb81's (bookshelf) and they had plenty of high detail and mid- low end (I miss them in some ways). I would recommend trying some different speakers. Do you have any spares lying around?

Before you look into new speakers try placing the speakers in a different position in your room, it could just be they need better placement. Generally the closer to the back wall and side wall the more bass. If they are near the sidewalls they may seem as though the vocals and rest of the sound is not integrated properly. Try moving them away from the sidewalls and out into the room.

Some other speakers to look at could be Tannoy DC6T, Q Acoustics 2050i, or KEF's. It maybe worth looking at standmounts as well because although they have less over all bass, scale (usually) they may have better precision and cohesion when used on dedicated stands.

A

Anonymous

I find speakers react to what the amp feeds them. So changing speakers is the last thing to do. First empty your room of everything not essential to the music. Clap your hands. You should hear an echo. Now try the system. This should make your speakers very bright. If it does not then the next step is to try different interconnects. Anything will do because all you are trying to find is tha source of the problem. Speaker cables tend to make less difference so I wouldn't change them just yet. You may find a local dealer will loan you a set of interconnects ASK. Interconnects can squash the life out of music, or it can exaggerate a part of the range. Trying several is the only way. I have some interconnets which cost an absolute fortune, however they did not suit my phono stage and so I replaced them with those on a very cheap, old tuner. The tuner improved as did the Phonostage. Its all trial and error and a lot of very expensive errors. Never use your stuff to experiment when a dealer has stuff he is trying to sell to us. Be bold and ask your dealer to help. But be in control. Know what you want and do not allow yourself to be swayed. You have a great little system it can be made to perfom as you wish.

If you do decide its your speakers sell them to me! Klipsh was a great innovator and these speakers are revered as quirky but fantastic.

If you want to hear your system as it could be, borrow a record deck, even a cheap one will knock spots off the best digital.

Ortofon viva blue, RB250, Thorens much modified TD160S, Linz connector, Cambridge 650, Chord pink interconnects, Cyrus Xp8d, Spendor S6e

Blackdawn

May 7, 2010
Visit site
rodthesod said:
So changing speakers is the last thing to do. First empty your room of everything not essential to the music. the next step is to try different interconnects. Ortofon viva blue, RB250, Thorens much modified TD160S, Linz connector, Cambridge 650, Chord pink interconnects, Cyrus Xp8d, Spendor S6e

Firstly, most people don't want to sit on the floor in their room and with no possessions, so removing everything non-essential is a not going to happen. I really wouldn't recommend cable swapping as a way to help with your particular problem. Using vinyl is also probably unlikely, because its probably more warm sounding than digital anyway and this is what the OP doesn't want. The speakers are still the key here along with the placement in the room. If your still getting a warm sound through headphones connected to the amp you know the speakers are not the problem.

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks everyone for your input!!!

Here is a list of my prime suspects:

1) Room

I have my setup in the basement in the corner, but my basement is quite large and open. The left side is a wall with a fireplace, while the right side is very open with no walls. The speakers are facing in front of a large window.

2) Wireworld Stream 16/2 speaker cable

I'm using Wireworld Stream 16/2 speaker cable, which is a highly rated cable, but might not be suitable for system. The midrange is severely missing, perhaps I need a thicker 12 awg cable. For anyone who has heard Inna (House/dance music), her voice is supposed be really bright and my speakers are supposed to be bright, but her voice feels too laid back and not defined accurately. I need brighter cables...

3) 6N Copper Coxial Cable

This cable is made in Canada by an audiophile, who sells extremely high quality cables at low prices. I have not compared the cable to anything else, but usually coax cables do not make as much difference as regular ICs as the sound transmitted is digital. Hard to say right now...

4) JRiver 16 software

Using Asio driver and this is highly regarded software used by audiophiles, so it hard to say if it's a software issue.

5) 12 awg Silver/Copper Mains cord

This actually makes my system clearer and smoother, so it actually optimises my system, but takes away a bit of slam.

6) Klipsch speakers

Klispch are supposed be bright and dynamic with vocals, but I'm not feeling enough air and midrange clarity is severely lacking.

My possible speaker upgrades:

a) KEF R500

b) Tannoy DCT6 SE

c) Triangle Color Floorstanders

d) PSB Imagine T

Can anybody help me choose which is best speaker out of the four I have listed? Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts