Kings of Leon - Only by the Night

A

Anonymous

Yeah it was the album of the year in 2008. They are getting better with each album, Same as coldplay. Oasis though just can't seem to match up although the new album 'dig out your soul' is pretty good just not as good as these two.

A

Anonymous

matengawhat:what a fantastic album - sounds amazing - great songs

I totally agree!

When I heard the singles from the album on the radio in the car, I thought "what awful recording", but I received the CD as a xmas prezzy and put it on last night through my headphones. It's amazing! Really good sense of scale and atmosphere in the recordings thanks to superb mastering. Even at the most dynamic moments there is no "push into the red" mastering as with most CDs today. Really good music, really well recorded from a band I thought were rubbish, but now I like! Love the drums too, good player whoever plays them!

A

Anonymous

m1rfy:Yeah it was the album of the year in 2008. They are getting better with each album, Same as coldplay. Oasis though just can't seem to match up although the new album 'dig out your soul' is pretty good just not as good as these two.

Oasis have gone downhill from What's the Story (Morning Glory) and that's along way downhill from over 12 years ago!

A

Anonymous

Ive never heard a kings of leon track until december last year and wow they blew me away.

The music is very catchy and his hoarse croaky voice works really well.

A

Anonymous

Tangerine dream:
Ive never heard a kings of leon track until december last year and wow they blew me away.

The music is very catchy and his hoarse croaky voice works really well.

You hear his voice through a proper hi-fi and it sounds amazing; make that really amazing!

Terryff

Nov 6, 2008
Visit site
Hughes, you told me it was rubbish production!!!

Sounds ok on my system, terrible in the car. Bass seems way too far forward in the mix and it gets pretty jumbled in places. But sounds good on the home hi fi. For hi fi heaven though, i listened to Amused to death by Roger Waters recently, that is almost a perfect album. Production is sublime and the music can really carry you along. ÿ

A

Anonymous

m1rfy:Yeah it was the album of the year in 2008. They are getting better with each album, Same as coldplay.

What??? I dont think they'll better Parachutes. Also, X&Y was abysmal!

As for Only By The Night, I thought it wa sa real let down.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
thfcwestlower:
m1rfy:Yeah it was the album of the year in 2008. They are getting better with each album, Same as coldplay.

Only by the Night is a real grower - first listen not much but the more time you put in to the better all the songs get - its such a strong album.

Agree on the coldplay bit i still love Parachutes - not a massive coldplay fan but they are unbelievable live - they have some great singles just dull albums bit like U2!

A

Anonymous

Dont get me wrong, I do like Only By The Night, just Ive been a huge KOL fan for a while now and guess I just expected more!

I went to same uni as Coldplay and saw a few of their initial intimate gigs playing their early material. Was great.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
thfcwestlower:

I half agree. Coldplay for me are so over rated. KOL are the best rock band in the world at the moment. Only by the Night sounds sublime on my system. Their last album was amazing too.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:thfcwestlower:

I half agree. Coldplay for me are so over rated. KOL are the best rock band in the world at the moment. Only by the Night sounds sublime on my system. Their last album was amazing too.

Nearly fell of my seat there - KOL are the best rock band in the world at the moment???!!! In your opinion!
They started out promisingly but have got gradually worse with each release - apparently they now aspire to be a stadium band, if that wasn't bad enough there's the haircuts, the awful singing and the dreadful, openly mysoginystic lyrics.(IMO)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Drummerdave:Gerrardasnails:thfcwestlower:

Nearly fell of my seat there - KOL are the best rock band in the world at the moment???!!! In your opinion!
They started out promisingly but have got gradually worse with each release - apparently they now aspire to be a stadium band, if that wasn't bad enough there's the haircuts, the awful singing and the dreadful, openly mysoginystic lyrics.(IMO)

Come on DD, do I need to put imo after or before everything I write?? Obviously it's my opinion as music is subjective. There's not a best band in the world belt or anything.

I have to disagree with your opinion though. I though their first album was decent. I loved Aha Shake. Because of the Times was (imo) not as good but then the new album is their best so far. The haircuts have got better! Well, they have now had some haircuts and although they are not a band that are clear and coherent in their singing, Caleb's voice is fantastic.

A

Anonymous

With regards to coldplay, Yes parachutes was an amazing album and i still play it alot but on the whole X & Y was a good album and viva la vida is better than that. Maybe they don't quiet match up to parachutes but on the whole they are still producing great albums. that was my point mainly, comparing them to oasis who are over hyped and over the hill in comparison to what coldplay and kings of leon have been producing, IMO.

A

Anonymous

Great album, fantastic voice, great live too - caught them at Newcastle Arena in 2007.

A

Anonymous

Terryff:
Hughes, you told me it was rubbish production!!!

Sounds ok on my system, terrible in the car. Bass seems way too far forward in the mix and it gets pretty jumbled in places. But sounds good on the home hi fi. For hi fi heaven though, i listened to Amused to death by Roger Waters recently, that is almost a perfect album. Production is sublime and the music can really carry you along.

I know!!! That's what I thought! Our car's system is a Boston Acoustics System, which is supposed to be good in the "high-end systems" WHF mag, but it really isn't...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts