Kef Vs Q Acoustic

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
The current KEF KHT2005.2 range are being updated and as a result the existing version can be had for £399 in most places while the Q Acoustic 1010i range is still around £445. With this new price point in mind, which package do people think offers the best value. The new mk 3 version seem to be priced around £700 so I'm leaving them out of the equation. So design aside, KEF mk 2 or 1010i's?

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I've always been told that generally traditional speaker packages (Q acoustics) sound better that the style speaker packages (KEF). Not heard the Q acoustics, but a friend has the KEF package and is very happy with them. They do sound good - wonder what the Q acoustics sound like then!! Let me know if you have done anything about your decision cos both sets of speakers are currntly on my short list too.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

I went along to one shop and listened to a set of Q Acoustic's 1020's with the Onkyo 606 and it sounded excellent (spiderman 3) but the cost was a touch above what I wanted to spend and dare I say it, I don't really like the styling on them. They then let me sample the KEF 2005.2 range on the 606 which sounded very sharp but lacked the grunt from the sub compared to the previous set. My second outing to another shop proved less fruitful as they didn't use the 606 and only used the 1010's for the front 2 speakers (not centre) so I came away thinking I'd learnt nothing. I could tell they didn't want to set it all up properly even though I'd phoned up on the morning to ask for a demo. I listened to a musical DVD through the 1010's and I wasn't that impressed so I'm now wondering if I need to spend more to get the sound clarity I want. Basically, I'm confused and getting impatient, I nearly ordered the Tannoy Mercury FI Custom set yesterday but managed to keep my sensible head on. It's quite difficult to find anyone who has the speakers and amp I want and to then get them to set them up exactly how I would. I realise they will sound different in my own home but even so, it would be nice to do a direct comparison in store. Guess, I'll keep looking around, I've still to choose my TV to compliment the sound system but that's another story :) Let me know if you decide anything.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Well, I've gone for it today and bought the Q Acoustic 1010i speakers with an Onkyo 606 amp.

Two 'What hifi' favourites paired together - how can I go wrong!! And these two are described as a perfect match, I've been told.

Especially when the speakers (yes they are the 1010i not 1010) cost just over £400 (RRP £500) and amp £360 (RRP £400). I did have the Mordaunt Short Alumni on my list, which I found for about £400 too, but went for the traditional speaker package rather than style.

Fingers crossed, I have chosen wisely!!!!!

A

Anonymous

Good for you, I'm holding out just because I can't make a decision! Let me know how you get on as I might still go for the 1010i's although I'm leaning towards the Tannoy F1 Mercury Custom as well. I still need to choose a TV first and that's either more stressful. Wasn't like this when I bought my CRT all those years ago :)

A

Anonymous

I am also interested in the 1010i and 1010 speaker packages. I'm a bit disappointed to hear you say "I listened to a musical DVD through the 1010's and I wasn't that impressed"! Is it really that disappointing? I was hoping to use these speakers for movies and music. Do you think the KEF's are any better?

A

Anonymous

i set my q acouutics up last weekend paired with a 605, i can honestly say that i love them. they sound awesome.

i tested cloverfield on blu ray and was completely in awe- even the mrs was impressed which is good enough for me. they look great too.

i would go for these mate

A

Anonymous

Would you say the 605 is worth the extra cash over the 505? I'm a bit strapped for cash but don't want to miss out if HD Audio is huge leaps forward in terms of sound?

A

Anonymous

imo yes most definately. if not i would suggest you will regret it a few weeks down the line.

im really happy with my pairing. worth saving a tad more cash for.

i was truly blown away by the cloverfield blu ray truehd audio

A

Anonymous

I think it was more down to the shop not setting up the system properly more than anything but it just put a touch of doubt in my mind. I can't believe all the reviews would be wrong so I'm going to try another shop and see if I can get a proper demo to hear them in their full glory.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts