KEF R100

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I'd personally say go for it and demo both

For me the R100's are superb; small & compact but with a soundstage and bass depth that belies their size!

In regards to your source id say that's sufficient enough however other DAC's are available for good money these days so the worlds your oyster

In regards to stands; the nexus stands are good but they're better when mass-loaded. If you can get a tub or 2 of atacama atabites and get them filled (if you already havent done so); that'll really help the speakers to sing at their best :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Deliriumbassist said:
In terms of source I'm using a Mac Mini (Spotify, Lossless rips) through an Arcam rPac. I'll look to update the DAC at a later date though.

I shouldn't worry too much, KEF thought it was a good enough DAC to use with the Blade speakers at the Bristol Show.

Deliriumbassist said:
I currently have a Kandy K2 and Kef Q500- the Kef's are a bit imposing in my room. I'm looking to sell on the Kandy and get a Cyrus 8A- would it be worth me going towards the R100 or R300 with Cyrus?

Cheers!

Ben

Hi Ben

I feel that you should also consider ATC's SCM11 monitors as these Roksan and Cyrus amplifiers work well with SCM11 monitors. SCM11's closed box, flat and honest presentation will help with room positioning and their performance potential is also very likely to help SCM11's accomodate future upgrades to source and amplification.

Btw, i think that in the first instance you should hold on to your K2 amplifier as with a change speakers you might find the K2's presentation, power and performance to still be good enough.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Nad_fanatic said:
the R100's in black were all out of stock otherwise I'd have been a very happy owner.

I had to wait nearly 4 weeks for my R100's but they are worth the wait, i was lucky my dealer lent me his until mine arrived..:dance:

A

Anonymous

THESTIG08 said:
Nad_fanatic said:
the R100's in black were all out of stock otherwise I'd have been a very happy owner.

I had to wait nearly 4 weeks for my R100's but they are worth the wait, i was lucky my dealer lent me his until mine arrived..:dance:

I was prepared to wait but I was offered the Neat Motive 2's at a superb price so couldnt turn it down.

Plus it meant no more stands as the wife isnt keen on them... :doh:

A

Anonymous

chebby said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
But what's wrong with that statement? I really don't get the comments about it having nothing to do with an LS3/5a - it ISN'T an LS3/5a, it's an updated LS3/5a.
Not in any way, shape or form. By your definition, any small speaker could be an updated LS3/5A.

Chebby - having just spent a couple of days with the KEF guys at Munich I think I can answer this.

In both the case of the original LS3/5A and the new LS50 the design brief was essentially the same - please design the most accurate mini monitor speaker you can. The engineering comes first, aesthetics (and cost) come a long way behind.

In the case of the LS50 it was absolutely all about the performance (and the passion of the design team) - just the same as the LS3/5A :) Having said that, the end result looks pretty decent too.

I thought the LS50 was neutral but exceptionally revealing and involving (driven by an Arcam D33 and A32 by the way) - I ordered a pair for myself on the spot.

HTH.

John Dawson

T

the record spot

My limited experience of the R100 was underwhelming to say the least. I expect they needed more running in, but in the demo room, they were frommemory too bassy and a tad lumpy with it. Nice looking box, lovely finish, but not for me on the day. I expect they'd need some room to breathe too, but in a small room (or as in mine, where the speakers are pointing across as opposed to down the room), they'd dominate too much. The Tannoys deliver on that score as they work very well in that arrangement and deliver a more accurate portrayal of the music.
small-logo.png

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
John Arcam Dawson said:
In both the case of the original LS3/5A and the new LS50 the design brief was essentially the same - please design the most accurate mini monitor speaker you can. The engineering comes first, aesthetics (and cost) come a long way behind.

In the case of the LS50 it was absolutely all about the performance (and the passion of the design team) - just the same as the LS3/5A :) Having said that, the end result looks pretty decent too.

I'm glad you liked them and, no doubt, they sound fabulous.

I just object to companies invoking the 'LS3/5A' nomenclature when there is no evolution from or connection to (technical or otherwise) the original specification in any way. (Other than than being small and expensive and capable of being used as near-field monitors.)

Thin walled, sealed enclosure, two way compact speakers that are directly derived/evolved from the BBC LS3/5A specification are (for example) Spendor S3/5R2s, Harbeth P3ESRs, Stirling Broadcast LS3/5A V2s. (Not a complete list.)

My objection is not about the KEF's performance but only KEF's description (on their website) that... "LS50s are derived from the legendary LS3/5A"

I don't see how a concentric/Uni-Q driver in a plastic and metal, ported cabinet (actually derived from their Blade technology) can share any 'heritage' with the old LS3/5As.

I think they only said that to attract (a) far eastern customers who love the LS3/5A and it's derivatives like P3ESRs (b) more Google searches from those looking for LS3/5A alternatives.

T

the record spot

Agreed - and likewise with AEJim. This is an unfair play on words.
small-logo.png

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Deliriumbassist said:
Sorry to go a bit on the aside, but a quick question to David (and others)

I currently have a Kandy K2 and Kef Q500- the Kef's are a bit imposing in my room. I'm looking to sell on the Kandy and get a Cyrus 8A- would it be worth me going towards the R100 or R300 with Cyrus?

Cheers!

Ben

Sorry for the delay Ben - I took a breather from the forum due to pointless assumptions being made about a product no one has heard. Oh, except for one, who ordered a pair.

Anyway, the 8A will drive the R100 or R300 easily. It'll also be worth looking at the Leema Elements amplifier too, which is the same size and about the same power. They offer the same option as the 8DAC with inbuilt DAC as well. Both the Cyrus and Leema work very well with the R Series.

Which speaker is personal preference. The R100 is a surprising little box whose bass belies their size, but obviously the R300 is going to reach deeper (as deep as I've heard from a standmount). But rest assured they do it in a tight, punchy manner too.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I took a breather from the forum due to pointless assumptions being made about a product no one has heard. Oh, except for one, who ordered a pair.

No-one made any assertions about the sound so please don't act like anyone was criticising the product itself, you know that's not the case. I'm sure they're great speakers.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
How about reading KEF's design brief before accusing KEF of BS marketing then? This just invites people to blindly jump on the bandwagon, then next thing you know you've started a 'movement' that spreads nonsense and never shuts up.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
How about reading KEF's design brief before accusing KEF of BS marketing then? This just invites people to blindly jump on the bandwagon, then next thing you know you've started a 'movement' that spreads nonsense and never shuts up.
Like the "cables make a difference" movement? :grin:

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Stop the spat please, people - not helpful to the OP (neither is your stirring, 'ooh').

And i'm surprised that a highly regarded manufacturer and retailer would stoop to public squabbling. You're both better than that :)

Lininger59

Dec 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi, I'm not sure how old this post is but hope you will answer a question for me; what are the positioning requirements for the R100 vs the R300? I have a small room and need to set these up relatively close to the back wall. Thanks!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It depends how small your room is, but I've used R300s about 6-7" from a solid brick wall with no boom issues by using the foam ring supplied (the foam bung with the centre piece taken out). If you're talking something like 3x3m, then the R100s will definitely work better though. Bear in mind the R300s will have superior midrange performance, although if you're going to be sitting less than 2/2.5m from them, the R100s have the advantage of full UniQ output (all frequencies coming from a single point).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts