KEF R100

CacáBr

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey people, has anyone already auditioned the new KEF R-100 speakers? I'm eager to get some coments on it :) I wonder how they sound, especially in the departament of pace and timing. Thinking of combining them with a CA 640A V2. A match perhaps? I'm considering also the Q-100 or even the Q300.

What do you think?

Thanks in advance :cheers:

A

Anonymous

I've heard them along side the R300's and they're both amazing speakers. This is coming from someone who hasn't liked KEF stuff for a long time!

However your amp will be the issue. It's ok and a top end budget amp but the speakers deserve better amplification to get the best out of them

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
I demo'd the R100's with my Cyrus 8xpd qx amp. I thought they were excellent, particularly in terms of imaging and detail. I would say timing was great if not quite as good as the spendor sa1's I was also demoing. It's amazing how much bass they produce given how small they are.

My only concern with them was that I felt they might be slightly on the bright side for my tastes with my amp. My comment to the dealer was that with a different amp I would most likely have gone for the kefs rather than the (double the price) spendors. I refused to listen to the R300's which I suspect would have had a better balance to my ears, as they are too big for my bedroom.

My concern for you would be that I have always found CA stuff to be a little on the bright side. I have not heard your specific amp but i worry it may not be the best combination, particularly for long term listening. That's only my opinion tho, and you may love the combination, so your best bet would be to demo the two together. Take your amp along if you can't find anywhere with a decent demo room that stocks both the kef's and the amp.

ALthough I think the speakers benefit from better amplification, I have heard them being powered by a Sonos ZP120 and they sounded great off that, so they don't need high end stuff to sound good.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

CacáBr

Nov 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey, guys, thanks so much for the answers! I'm aware the CA 640 will be well below the r100, but my idea is to begin upgrading the speakers first. Besides, my 640Ave is modded, so it's tonal balance is a bit less bright, not to mention its dinamics, as well as its punch. It became a unique beast, not bad at all ... at least for now.

That said, my first concern is the focus and the PRAT items, because I intend to listen mainly to classical music and Jazz, so refinement is mandatory here, which includes great rythm ability. As to the brightness, I can cope with it, becase I will treat the room accoustically so that excessive treble issues will be under control ... until I can upgrade the amp. :)

thatchersgold

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Am quite new to all this, and have only had one demo - so I may not be the best person to give any advice, however it was the Cyrus 8xpd (qx i think) with Kef R100 and Q300 speakers. With the Cyrus & R100s I have never heard timing like it, simply amazing. A little bright for me, not enough bass either (something I like too much of), but that timing was grin inducing. My well listened test CDs sounded completely different in this sytem. Swapped to the Q300 and the bass increased a little but the timing dropped off slightly with less precision and I didnt grin so much. Cheers

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
You could try KEF's new LS50 - effectively an updated LS3/5a. It's sligtly bigger than an R100, and uses the same size driver. It'll be interesting to see how it compares to the already excellent R100 :)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, I know I'm not supposed to say anything about other manufacturers (take this comment as all my others - not the view of AE but my personal opinion) - but I don't see any correlation between the LS3/5a and the "LS50" aside from a marketing cash-in on the old name. Am I missing something? I see no similarities in construction, materials or anything really...

A

Anonymous

Going back on topic...

I thought the bass depth of the R100's was astonishing.

I heard them along side the R300's and the Q500's and I thought the latter, for floorstanders, were awful. Very little bass depth and kick and overly smooth in the midrange.

I appreciate the R series is the next step up but the R100's on Atacama HMS2's and the R300's on the same stands absolutely blew the Q500's out of the water for me and that was with a Marantz Melody Media (CR603)!

Even with a NAD C326BEE and the Marantz 6004 CD player; the Q500's still didnt work that great.

If I wanted small but excellent standmount speakers the R100's would be at the top of my list. The only ones I think that can come close are the B&W CM1's

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
AEJim said:
Sorry, I know I'm not supposed to say anything about other manufacturers (take this comment as all my others - not the view of AE but my personal opinion) - but I don't see any correlation between the LS3/5a and the "LS50" aside from a marketing cash-in on the old name. Am I missing something? I see no similarities in construction, materials or anything really...

Totally agree. Anyone wanting a new product with a real BBC LS3/5A 'legacy' would buy Spendor S3/5R² (£850) or Harbeth P3ESRs (£1500) or Stirling Broadcast LS3/5A V2s (£980).

They claim the LS50s are... "An innovative concept derived from the legendary LS3/5a" and yet they bear no resemblance whatsoever except being small. (They even have a rear ported cabinet.)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
AEJim said:

Are KEF supposed to go backwards and use a non coincident driver array? They have done a carbon copy of the LS3/405a before as an anniversary edition, so doing it again would be predictable. Instead, they've updated it with technology that they've learned from the Blade, so it's a modern day mini monitor ideal for near field monitoring.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
AEJim said:

Are KEF supposed to go backwards and use a non coincident driver array? They have done a carbon copy of the LS3/405a before as an anniversary edition, so doing it again would be predictable. Instead, they've updated it with technology that they've learned from the Blade, so it's a modern day mini monitor ideal for near field monitoring.
That has nothing whatsoever in common with the original, bar the name..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Nad_fanatic said:
Going back on topic...

I thought the bass depth of the R100's was astonishing.

I heard them along side the R300's and the Q500's and I thought the latter, for floorstanders, were awful. Very little bass depth and kick and overly smooth in the midrange.

I appreciate the R series is the next step up but the R100's on Atacama HMS2's and the R300's on the same stands absolutely blew the Q500's out of the water for me and that was with a Marantz Melody Media (CR603)!

The R100's are surprising little things. A work colleague is using some at home at the moment for music and home cinema, and he's stunned at just how good they are.

To be fair to the Q500, the R series is in a completely different league, and like I said to KEF, the R series pretty much makes the Q series redundant. An R100 will outperform the Q100 and Q300 - and from the the R300 upwards,the R series will outperform all Q models. We've hardly sold any Q series since the R series came out. That aside, the Q300, and Q700 are still great speakers.

I'm using my R300's on HMS2's, and I'm currently taking advantage of the neighbours being out to give them a good pasting. Stevie Wonder's Superstition sounds phenomenal.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
ooh.. said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
AEJim said:

That has nothing whatsoever in common with the original, bar the name..

It's a commemorative product - I wish people would get off their high horses and just let things be.

Life's too short Max - chill out, listen to some music.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
It's a commemorative product - I wish people would get off their high horses and just let things be.

Life's too short Max - chill out, listen to some music.

No. KEF clearly state the LS50s are derived from the LS3/5As on their website.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
But what's wrong with that statement? I really don't get the comments about it having nothing to do with an LS3/5a - it ISN'T an LS3/5a, it's an updated LS3/5a.
Not in any way, shape or form. By your definition, any small speaker could be an updated LS3/5A.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to go a bit on the aside, but a quick question to David (and others)

I currently have a Kandy K2 and Kef Q500- the Kef's are a bit imposing in my room. I'm looking to sell on the Kandy and get a Cyrus 8A- would it be worth me going towards the R100 or R300 with Cyrus?

Cheers!

Ben

A

Anonymous

Deliriumbassist said:
Sorry to go a bit on the aside, but a quick question to David (and others)

I currently have a Kandy K2 and Kef Q500- the Kef's are a bit imposing in my room. I'm looking to sell on the Kandy and get a Cyrus 8A- would it be worth me going towards the R100 or R300 with Cyrus?

Cheers!

Ben

Both will work well. What's your source however and do you already have speaker stands?

I heard them both with the Cyrus 8vs2 I had for a month or so and with a Rega Apollo cd player and they were amazing. Just unfortunately R300's were out of budget and the R100's in black were all out of stock otherwise I'd have been a very happy owner.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts