KEF Q300 - Help !

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
Morning all,
I recently acquired a pair of KEF Q300s in brand new condition and have had the hooked up with a single wire for about two weeks.
Last night, I was watching a few videos on the benefits (or not) of bi-wiring and decided to give it a try. There were a few strange moments when i tried it out as I'd forgotten to switch the knob into the bi-wiring position on one of the speakers but apart from that, not much happened.
However, at some point I think I seemed to lose a bit of the mid-range (it was night and I was getting tired and a bit deaf). On closer inspection, I spotted some marks on the driver (see photos). Has this anything to do with the bi-wiring? What are these marks?
Thanks for your help

IMG_1856.jpg

D

Deleted member 108165

Doubt it has anything to do with bi-wiring, looks like flaking paint or a residue of some kind.

Up to you if you want to pursue bi-wiring but many on here will say that it offers zero improvement over single wiring, assuming that the single wiring is of sufficient guage.

It looks like a bit of dust perhaps trapped in the rubber surround. Did you blast a loud noise during your retiring, because that might have done it.
What’s it like to your eyes! Can you brush it off? Does it blow away?

D

Deleted member 116933

Your not tell the whole story here, has nothing to with bi-wiring directly.

Overdriving maybe deforming the rubber ie stretching it past its limits as you mention the midrange becoming weaker.

But to me this looks like some sort of abrasion, rubber (or what every material kef use) doesn't just do this. Have you used a cleaner on it with an alcohol base?

Or is the speaker near a hear source? this can make rubber brittle

The only people that can really answer this question is kef

TK421

Oct 30, 2020
Visit site
It might have been there before I tired the bi-wiring. I had the covers on so I just didn't notice maybe. I never play anything really loud as I'm in a small flat.
I used a humid soft cloth and wiped off the residue and it looks clean now.
Just curious as to what those marks were..

john13

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
Morning all,
I recently acquired a pair of KEF Q300s in brand new condition and have had the hooked up with a single wire for about two weeks.
Last night, I was watching a few videos on the benefits (or not) of bi-wiring and decided to give it a try. There were a few strange moments when i tried it out as I'd forgotten to switch the knob into the bi-wiring position on one of the speakers but apart from that, not much happened.
However, at some point I think I seemed to lose a bit of the mid-range (it was night and I was getting tired and a bit deaf). On closer inspection, I spotted some marks on the driver (see photos). Has this anything to do with the bi-wiring? What are these marks?
Thanks for your help

View attachment 1869
hi there i'm actually in hope you can be of help to me, i'm gonna be on the market soon hopefully for a pair of q300, its says in review here they need to be paired carefully with the amp as can be little bright, i'm using a yamaha AX-9, van den hul the tea track speaker cables will these be good a pairing or go with b&w 607 or epos m12 speakers

john13

Dec 23, 2013
Visit site
hi there i'm actually in hope you can be of help to me, i'm gonna be on the market soon hopefully for a pair of q300, its says in review here they need to be paired carefully with the amp as can be little bright, i'm using a yamaha AX-9, van den hul the tea track speaker cables will these be good a pairing or go with b&w 607 or epos m12 speakers
i looked at the marks, it can be many things just not looked after or maybe they've been left in a dark damp area , for the issue you spoke of the loss of midrange maybe needs little look at or hey contact kef themselves, hope this has helped you out

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
Morning all,
Thanks for your help

View attachment 1869
I have a pair of iq10 bookshelf speakers and also found the mid range suffered with bi-wiring and reverted back to single wiring. It's not speaker dependent as my JPWs also list midrange transparency

Tinman1952

That happend to my pot from tefal when i used a whisk to much, the non stick coating got damaged, could be the sun that effected the surround or just a bad coating ?
He said it wiped off with a damp cloth so it was probably dust. Funnily enough I had a similar thing with an LS50...🤔 Makes me wonder what is inside the speaker....?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts