KEF Q300 - Help !

TK421

Well-known member
Oct 30, 2020
39
4
45
Morning all,
I recently acquired a pair of KEF Q300s in brand new condition and have had the hooked up with a single wire for about two weeks.
Last night, I was watching a few videos on the benefits (or not) of bi-wiring and decided to give it a try. There were a few strange moments when i tried it out as I'd forgotten to switch the knob into the bi-wiring position on one of the speakers but apart from that, not much happened.
However, at some point I think I seemed to lose a bit of the mid-range (it was night and I was getting tired and a bit deaf). On closer inspection, I spotted some marks on the driver (see photos). Has this anything to do with the bi-wiring? What are these marks?
Thanks for your help

IMG_1856.jpg
 

DougK

Well-known member
Dec 8, 2013
1,133
793
20,070
Doubt it has anything to do with bi-wiring, looks like flaking paint or a residue of some kind.

Up to you if you want to pursue bi-wiring but many on here will say that it offers zero improvement over single wiring, assuming that the single wiring is of sufficient guage.
 

nopiano

Well-known member
Feb 15, 2009
1,056
707
20,070
It looks like a bit of dust perhaps trapped in the rubber surround. Did you blast a loud noise during your retiring, because that might have done it.
What’s it like to your eyes! Can you brush it off? Does it blow away?
 
D

Deleted member 116933

Guest
Your not tell the whole story here, has nothing to with bi-wiring directly.

Overdriving maybe deforming the rubber ie stretching it past its limits as you mention the midrange becoming weaker.

But to me this looks like some sort of abrasion, rubber (or what every material kef use) doesn't just do this. Have you used a cleaner on it with an alcohol base?

Or is the speaker near a hear source? this can make rubber brittle

The only people that can really answer this question is kef
 

TK421

Well-known member
Oct 30, 2020
39
4
45
It might have been there before I tired the bi-wiring. I had the covers on so I just didn't notice maybe. I never play anything really loud as I'm in a small flat.
I used a humid soft cloth and wiped off the residue and it looks clean now.
Just curious as to what those marks were..
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts