Kef ls50 or avi adm9rs or other?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
chebby said:
Overdose said:
As for the monitoring, not a clue. Why anyway? Has some sort of paranoia crept in?

Not paranoia.

Just that Drummerman mentioned it earlier...

drummerman said:
I know several folks over at AVI forum are monitoring this thread.

Hardly paranoia inducing.

Thousands of people read these forums every day.

yeah.

PI was a member here long before HDD.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Wireless. Floorstanders, too.

If you have the room I'd go Magnepan or Martin Logan, they are really so much better than active and passive equivalents.

I have no idea why the AVI forum would be paranoid. The challenge from Dynaudio, ATC, Linn etc perhaps?

The floorstanders still have no better amplification and wireless is at the moment of little benefit.

Electrostatics, yes, I see the appeal, but it is unlikely that I'll find myself in a situation where I have the space for them anytime soon (having small chldren running around). Some electrostatics and a conventional sub would be quite nice I suppose, but for me right now, bookshelf/standmount speakers are where it needs to be. My choices at the moment for more headroom are larger monitors or the ADMs. My shortlist is fluid, but has a few core speakers.

The paranoia thing wasn't actually aimed at AVI or anyone in particular, but part of the reason that I would give the ADMs a reference, is a lack of any challenge at their price point, even the Xeos, although similar in concept, are quite a bit underpowered in comparison and that is also without the apparent quality of drivers in the ADMs.

John Duncan

chebby said:
Overdose said:
As for the monitoring, not a clue. Why anyway? Has some sort of paranoia crept in?

Not paranoia.

drummerman said:

About a million unique visitors a month last time I saw, but that was a long time ago.

[UNPUBLISHED, duplicate]

John Duncan

chebby said:
Overdose said:

Not paranoia.

drummerman said:

About a million unique visitors a month last time I saw, but that was a long time ago.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
chebby said:
Overdose said:

Not paranoia.

drummerman said:

You'd think that there'd be a bit more active traffic then.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:

Of late about 0.5m+ unique visitors per week for the site as a whole, and just under 350,000 page views for the forums out of a total of just under 3.25m.

lecson

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping this was going to have some useful information about the two speakers mentioned in the OP but apprently not.

I pity the OP having to read through this lot.

John Duncan

Andrew Everard said:
John Duncan said:

Of late about 0.5m+ unique visitors per week for the site as a whole, and just under 350,000 page views for the forums out of a total of just under 3.25m.

Apologies, I'm clearly out of date. You're gonna need a bigger server...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
John Duncan said:

I think if I was of a paranoid disposition, 350,000 forum page views per week would be a scarier statistic than a handful of people on another forum 'monitoring' us.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
altruistic.lemon said:
Wireless. Floorstanders, too.

If you have the room I'd go Magnepan or Martin Logan, they are really so much better than active and passive equivalents.

I have no idea why the AVI forum would be paranoid. The challenge from Dynaudio, ATC, Linn etc perhaps?

The floorstanders still have no better amplification and wireless is at the moment of little benefit.

Electrostatics, yes, I see the appeal, but it is unlikely that I'll find myself in a situation where I have the space for them anytime soon (having small chldren running around). Some electrostatics and a conventional sub would be quite nice I suppose, but for me right now, bookshelf/standmount speakers are where it needs to be. My choices at the moment for more headroom are larger monitors or the ADMs. My shortlist is fluid, but has a few core speakers.

The paranoia thing wasn't actually aimed at AVI or anyone in particular, but part of the reason that I would give the ADMs a reference, is a lack of any challenge at their price point, even the Xeos, although similar in concept, are quite a bit underpowered in comparison and that is also without the apparent quality of drivers in the ADMs.

I think your system challenges the AVi's ! and you have a USB input which oops .....they seem to have forgotten.

T

the record spot

The original ADM9 had USB, and they ditched it in favour of optical and coax.

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
even the Xeos, although similar in concept, are quite a bit underpowered in comparison

underpowered? to what exactly application? 50W/ driver will easily give you +100dB output in your listening room on your listening position. 50W is enough to yield 100dB @ 1m (I assume Xeo would be around 86dB efficient). if you factor in the fact that you'll actually have 2 sound sources and room gain, increased distance at listening position will have no consequences. if this is underpowered to you I beg to ask at what exactly volume levels you listen to your music?

have you ever considered a fact that maybe Dynaudio were simply more logical with the choice of their power amps? therefore they decided not to overspec (which I think should be squarely in line with AVI's engineering philosophy. I noticed that some HDD forum members don't applaud to "arc welder" type amp technology. I personally see nothing wrong in such amps though...).

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Appreciate the complement, but I could do with a bit more bass authority and overall volume headroom on the odd occasion, mainly for movies though.

BM12A

Event OPal (used)

ADM9RSS

Quested S8R (budget busting, but v.nice)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
I've seen the Xeos, quite a bit down on power than the ADMs though and this would be an issue in a larger room. They wouldn't really give me anything over what I already have.

The Xeos are aimed at a different market to the ADM's - those that want wireless speakers. They're not aiming for AVI's market, they just want a good quality, wireless speaker for their normal sized living room that looks good too. Dynaudio have done the job very well.

Overdose said:
Now as far as arguments go, the argy bargy usually begins once the ADMs have been advised and then someone chips in with a snippy comment against the ADMs and the 'blue touch paper' is lit.

I disagree. It all usually starts when those who recommend ADM's compare them (always crossover) and talk (in infamous Ash fashion) negatively about passive speakers. There's never any mention of cabinet or drive units, just 'the crossover".

I'm sure if passive crossovers are as nasty and hideous as Ash makes out, all passive speakers would sound worse than a Brian May guitar solo. Not the case though, is it.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
oldric_naubhoff said:
Overdose said:
even the Xeos, although similar in concept, are quite a bit underpowered in comparison

underpowered? to what exactly application? 50W/ driver will easily give you +100dB output in your listening room on your listening position. 50W is enough to yield 100dB @ 1m (I assume Xeo would be around 86dB efficient). if you factor in the fact that you'll actually have 2 sound sources and room gain, increased distance at listening position will have no consequences. if this is underpowered to you I beg to ask at what exactly volume levels you listen to your music?

have you ever considered a fact that maybe Dynaudio were simply more logical with the choice of their power amps? therefore they decided not to overspec (which I think should be squarely in line with AVI's engineering philosophy. I noticed that some HDD forum members don't applaud to "arc welder" type amp technology. I personally see nothing wrong in such amps though...).

I have the BM5As and the topology is very similar. I suspect the same amplification is used in both models. The BM5As are fantastic to a point, that point being what most people would consider adequate, but played at 'party' levels can sound strained, and they would have a right to, being primarily nearfield monitors for smallish studios. My room is about 12' x 22'.

In addition the larger drivers should give a better lower frequency performance.

Anyhow, over-engineering, headroom, factor of safety, call it what you will, it is always nice to have power in reserve, knowing full well that you'll always have enough. The Xeos might well be OK for many, but for me, they'd be more of a move sideways.

T

the record spot

moon said:
the record spot said:

even though there are loads of PC users out there which dont have optical ouputs.?

Yup, me included, but they go some ways to pitch themselves alongside Apple and the Home Cinema user, so you're looking at optical from those two and coax for good measure. I think rediscovering USB and sticking back in would be a good move, but that's not where they see it to my understanding.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
moon said:
the record spot said:

even though there are loads of PC users out there which dont have optical ouputs.?

Yup, me included, but they go some ways to pitch themselves alongside Apple and the Home Cinema user, so you're looking at optical from those two and coax for good measure. I think rediscovering USB and sticking back in would be a good move, but that's not where they see it to my understanding.

perhaps the AVi's are too niche a product for the average pc user. Pioneer have included a usb in put on the top ot the range AV amp.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
Overdose said:
I've seen the Xeos, quite a bit down on power than the ADMs though and this would be an issue in a larger room. They wouldn't really give me anything over what I already have.

The Xeos are aimed at a different market to the ADM's - those that want wireless speakers. They're not aiming for AVI's market, they just want a good quality, wireless speaker for their normal sized living room that looks good too. Dynaudio have done the job very well.

Overdose said:
Now as far as arguments go, the argy bargy usually begins once the ADMs have been advised and then someone chips in with a snippy comment against the ADMs and the 'blue touch paper' is lit.

I disagree. It all usually starts when those who recommend ADM's compare them (always crossover) and talk (in infamous Ash fashion) negatively about passive speakers. There's never any mention of cabinet or drive units, just 'the crossover".

I'm sure if passive crossovers are as nasty and hideous as Ash makes out, all passive speakers would sound worse than a Brian May guitar solo. Not the case though, is it.

Whatever the XEO market is, they're not for me for the reasons I've already stated. I see no point in moving sideways. I'm sure the Dyns are very nice.

As far as arguments go, then if issue is with whatever a poster writes then that post should be replied to, preferably with a balanced response rather than emotional ranting or petty sniping. There are not many people who seem to be able to reply in a knowledgable and informative way it would seem, so the responses given just come out as irrelevant noise. Obviously there are exceptions, but exceptions they are and not the rule.

Being such a knowledgable chap on the subject, why not put in your own counter argument about how passive speakers are not bettered by actives in the way mentioned in this post and others. Would that not lend you more credence to your position?

T

the record spot

Overdose said:
...why not put in your own counter argument about how passive speakers are not bettered by actives in the way mentioned in this post and others. Would that not lend you more credence to your position?

Mine: not necessarily practical and can require additional adapters to facilitate CD (or other) connectivity (e.g. if XLR or unbalanced 1/4" only available), appearance, inflexible, need to choose carefully to avoid a "sound" that doesn't suit the listener (e.g. too flat and better off in a recording studio for mastering purposes), can need a pre-amp if one not built-in...horses for courses.

T

the record spot

moon said:
perhaps the AVi's are too niche a product for the average pc user. Pioneer have included a usb in put on the top ot the range AV amp.

I think most companies do, offer USB that is, in their DACs and usually in their AV amps where applicable.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Overdose said:
Being such a knowledgable chap on the subject, why not put in your own counter argument about how passive speakers are not bettered by actives in the way mentioned in this post and others. Would that not lend you more credence to your position?

Do all actives sound the same? If not, then they don't all represent ultimate accuracy, and therefore, aren't perfect. Just like everything else.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
the record spot said:
moon said:

I think most companies do, offer USB that is, in their DACs and usually in their AV amps where applicable.

Most AV receivers now have them including budget ones, as well as mini-systems like the Denon DM39 (£200), and many CD players from £150.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts