KEF LS50 Meta

fortiz1970

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
Ok... BUT... why did they not improve the Bass extension? Now if you are using a sub.... then this may be ok. But if you are trying to survive of only a pair of bookshelf speakers, there are better options at 1000 and certainly better options for 1500. B&W 707s2 better for same money, Wharfedale Evo4.2 better for less money. If you really want a kef... save some more money and buy Kef R3 which is outstanding.
Just heard them today, by the way. Transparent, almost ribbon-ish, but again it is like being served a hamburger with no bun.

Sliced Bread

It’s interesting that it’s outperforming Kefs own R series which was only released a short while ago (bass extension excluding).

I wonder if we will seea quick refresh of the range to include the same technology

leemccann1

Sep 2, 2020
Visit site
id like to see a comparison against the new wireless version with an equivalent priced amp to make up to the price of the wireless, other sites say the original wireless couldnt be touched in terms of value by setting up a separate system with the original LS50 - is this the same with the two new versions as both are on my potential purchase list but id rather go down the separate route just for future upgradability.

id like to see a comparison against the new wireless version with an equivalent priced amp to make up to the price of the wireless, other sites say the original wireless couldnt be touched in terms of value by setting up a separate system with the original LS50 - is this the same with the two new versions as both are on my potential purchase list but id rather go down the separate route just for future upgradability.
I’m sure in performance per £ the Wireless set would win, just as Active versions - such as of my ATCs - are hard to beat for the money. However, when you’ve got streaming and DAC technology built in, I agree I’d be more wary of the lifespan. And, as you infer, upgradeability is non-existent. For a modern room with minimalist decor they’d be great - as long as you vanish the mains cables!

neomancer

Jun 3, 2016
Visit site
The KEF LS 50 is THE MOST OVER RATED speaker in history.

Got them expecting to use them in my lounge and grabbed the 3001SEs thinking they'd be good as surrounds. It turns out the 3001SEs weren't only built better, sound better, and solved all the issues the ls50 meta is supposed to solve years ago, but it literally beat the ls50s in every blind test no matter how I placed them.

I couldn't believe it so had someone else online try picking up a pair and he was equally floored.

View: http://imgur.com/a/rfvc2q4

I did some research and found out that the 3001SEs was so over engineered because it was literally the prototype to the Blade. in fact from 300hz to 55khz (while the blade only goes up to 35khz) the measurements are better and they don't only look the similar in the outside but use the same technology on the inside including the diffusing internal blades and the sealed suspension system that the Meta material is supposed to solve.

it makes no sense. but it makes sense from an r and d stand point that they needed something to prototype the blade and the LS series before that they can also sell. the center speaker plays razor flat.

here's the sealed center frequency response.

View: https://imgur.com/a/sbl2Us8

and was designed completely independent of the mains both completely from scratch and was perfected to the point where I literally cannot pass an ABX test of whether the center is on in 3.0 or if I'm hearing a phantom in center in 2.0.

View: https://youtu.be/bfDanZSzoTY

the first transition was rough, but even with my eyes open I literally cannot hear a difference between switching between 3.0 and 2.0 which seems like it's magic or something.

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I did some research and found out that the 3001SEs was so over engineered because it was literally the prototype to the Blade. in fact from 300hz to 55khz (while the blade only goes up to 35khz) the measurements are better and they don't only look the similar in the outside but use the same technology on the inside including the diffusing internal blades and the sealed suspension system that the Meta material is supposed to solve.

I think you may be misunderstanding what the sealed suspension and metamaterial do.

The sealed suspension is not solving the issue that Meta does. The sealed suspension is about eliminating turbulence created by the internal air pressure caused by driver motion, which would push through the gap between the tweeter and midrange cone. The metamaterial absorbs the rearward sound wave created by the tweeter, which would reflect back into the tweeter if not sorted. Completely different issues.

The 'diffusing internal blades' - do you mean the moulded stiffening ribs on the cone rear? If so, that's not for diffusion, that's to strengthen the cone without adding a significant amount of mass.

TrevC

Ok... BUT... why did they not improve the Bass extension? Now if you are using a sub.... then this may be ok. But if you are trying to survive of only a pair of bookshelf speakers, there are better options at 1000 and certainly better options for 1500. B&W 707s2 better for same money, Wharfedale Evo4.2 better for less money. If you really want a kef... save some more money and buy Kef R3 which is outstanding.
Just heard them today, by the way. Transparent, almost ribbon-ish, but again it is like being served a hamburger with no bun.
Ye cannae beat the laws of physics Captain. All small speakers need a sub if you want low bass.

Reactions: EricLeRouge
Feels like they don’t wanna sell their old stocks at $700 so let’s throw in a hockey puck and charge another $800 for it. I own the LS50 and couldn't hear any distortion.
I don’t recognise that pricing, but the US market may well be very different. In the UK, the original LS50 was £800, though recently discounted by £100 or so. The new Meta version is £999. Not too bad after 8 years where, for example, PMCs have gone up 50% or more.

Reactions: Noddy

Sappy

Oct 6, 2020
Visit site
I don’t recognise that pricing, but the US market may well be very different. In the UK, the original LS50 was £800, though recently discounted by £100 or so. The new Meta version is £999. Not too bad after 8 years where, for example, PMCs have gone up 50% or more.

I am not even kidding. You would wish you live in Canada after seeing the price for a LS50 here.

It got even lower now. $898 CDN is around $6xx USD.

Vision is selling the LS50 Meta for $1999 CDN.

For another $1100 CDN for a distortion absorbing hockey puck? No thank you!

I am a big fan of Andrew Jones. I love his work. I am no mean to bash KEF even if AJ had his involvement in the hockey puck before his departure. LS50 is a good speaker but definitely not worth $999USD. $6xxUSD is reasonable and not a steal. There are plenty of options at that price range. The Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 might scratch your back on the right spot if you are looking for some nice details in the high and some nice low. LS50 kinda lacks the lower end even with my 45w class A push pull tube amp.

I am not even kidding. You would wish you live in Canada after seeing the price for a LS50 here.

It got even lower now. $898 CDN is around $6xx USD.

Vision is selling the LS50 Meta for $1999 CDN.

For another $1100 CDN for a distortion absorbing hockey puck? No thank you!

I am a big fan of Andrew Jones. I love his work. I am no mean to bash KEF even if AJ had his involvement in the hockey puck before his departure. LS50 is a good speaker but definitely not worth $999USD. $6xxUSD is reasonable and not a steal. There are plenty of options at that price range. The Elac Debut 2.0 B6.2 might scratch your back on the right spot if you are looking for some nice details in the high and some nice low. LS50 kinda lacks the lower end even with my 45w class A push pull tube amp.
I’m a fan of home grown products when possible, though decades ago I bought costly US and Italian exports that served me well for over twenty years. But you’ve got several fine manufacturers in Canada, and a bunch more from the USA at presumably less inflated prices. It completely changes the buying value for sure.
I have also admired AJ’s work and Elac seems good value everywhere.

Reactions: Sappy

EricLeRouge

Jan 15, 2020
Visit site
What I understand from Kef's own comments is that the Meta technology will be implemented over a few years on their entire line of products. I'd probably wait for a R3 Meta if I was in the market for an upgrade.

Reactions: Sliced Bread

PrylarSwe

Nov 29, 2020
Visit site
Heard these earlier today. Maybe my ears were totally wrongly calibrated, might be the case, but still I have a question - the speaker struggles to reproduce anything under 80ish Hz. Or in simple words - where is the bass? And female voices sound... like all the ladies sing through their noses. So... I have to ask... how can a speaker with such major flaws get such appraisal in all the reviews??? I mean, c'mon!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts