KEF LS50 Meta

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Surly Sid

Feb 6, 2020
Visit site
Heard these earlier today. Maybe my ears were totally wrongly calibrated, might be the case, but still I have a question - the speaker struggles to reproduce anything under 80ish Hz. Or in simple words - where is the bass? And female voices sound... like all the ladies sing through their noses. So... I have to ask... how can a speaker with such major flaws get such appraisal in all the reviews??? I mean, c'mon!
PrylarSwe speaks the truth!

Sliced Bread

Our
Heard these earlier today. Maybe my ears were totally wrongly calibrated, might be the case, but still I have a question - the speaker struggles to reproduce anything under 80ish Hz. Or in simple words - where is the bass? And female voices sound... like all the ladies sing through their noses. So... I have to ask... how can a speaker with such major flaws get such appraisal in all the reviews??? I mean, c'mon!
Just out of curiosity, what amp / source was used?

lyons238

Dec 15, 2020
Visit site

No these definitely play down lower than 80hz, they're fairly adequate down to about 50hz maybe a touch lower...you're probably underpowering them. I'm running a Parasound Halo P6 Preamp with a Parasound Halo A23+ 160wpc amp and these LS50 Meta's are chewing up every watt and spitting it out ever so eloquently. I was really surprised at first even with the Q150's insensitivity, then I upgraded to the LS50M's and they'r even harder to drive! But when you can give them good, clean, and controlled power. They sound phenomenal. I do also have a subwoofer but I don't use it all the time.

Reactions: TheJoker

Patrick dv

Mar 25, 2021
Visit site
Ok... BUT... why did they not improve the Bass extension? Now if you are using a sub.... then this may be ok. But if you are trying to survive of only a pair of bookshelf speakers, there are better options at 1000 and certainly better options for 1500. B&W 707s2 better for same money, Wharfedale Evo4.2 better for less money. If you really want a kef... save some more money and buy Kef R3 which is outstanding.
Just heard them today, by the way. Transparent, almost ribbon-ish, but again it is like being served a hamburger with no bun.
Spot on reply

TrevC

Ok... BUT... why did they not improve the Bass extension? Now if you are using a sub.... then this may be ok. But if you are trying to survive of only a pair of bookshelf speakers, there are better options at 1000 and certainly better options for 1500. B&W 707s2 better for same money, Wharfedale Evo4.2 better for less money. If you really want a kef... save some more money and buy Kef R3 which is outstanding.
Just heard them today, by the way. Transparent, almost ribbon-ish, but again it is like being served a hamburger with no bun.
Laws of physics? You use them with a sub. Personally I think they're overpriced/ overrated, having heard them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts