KEF Reference 1 Meta

Johan Bottema

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
Apart from the metal front plate the KEF R3 Meta and the KEF Ref 1 Meta look exactly the same. Also the drivers seem to be the same? How do these 2 speakers relate and is the Ref 1 worth the extra thousands?

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
I too am curious how much better the Ref 1 Meta is compared to the R3, especially since the Ref 1 Meta is 50% more expensive than the existing Ref 1 (yes, fifty percent). That’s a lot for a MAT and I wonder if it is really justifiable.

Reactions: Johan Bottema

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
The Uni-Qs and the bass drivers between R and Reference are definitely not the same, talking as an ex-dealer (ex as in I left the industry, not that we dropped the brand).

In US dollars, Reference 1 was $7,500/pr back in 2014, the new ones are $9,000/pr. Take inflation into account, and they are actually cheaper now in real terms. And it's not 'just for MAT' - it's a totally redesigned Uni-Q and crossover, going by their white paper.

Reactions: nopiano

Johan Bottema

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
The Uni-Qs and the bass drivers between R and Reference are definitely not the same, talking as an ex-dealer (ex as in I left the industry, not that we dropped the brand).

In US dollars, Reference 1 was $7,500/pr back in 2014, the new ones are $9,000/pr. Take inflation into account, and they are actually cheaper now in real terms. And it's not 'just for MAT' - it's a totally redesigned Uni-Q and crossover, going by their white paper.
Yeah but the Uni-Q meta drivers are so good already ... what would they increase cost on to make it sound better?

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Yeah but the Uni-Q meta drivers are so good already ... what would they increase cost on to make it sound better?
There is no one Uni-Q. The way I was explained, the different generations are like research cycles, and within that you have 'cousins'. I had the original R Series, last Reference and last Blade Uni-Qs out of their cabinets once, and they (or at least two of them) were the same generation, but VEEEERRRRYYYYY different to each other. Also, this particular speaker came out early last year. The R Series is brand new, so that Uni-Q is likely to have a bunch of trickle down or lower cost adaptations.

I'd also wager that KEF didn't do much in terms of price increases since 2014, unlike many other brands, making the increase seem more of a jump because it was in one go rather than increments.

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
There is no one Uni-Q. The way I was explained, the different generations are like research cycles, and within that you have 'cousins'. I had the original R Series, last Reference and last Blade Uni-Qs out of their cabinets once, and they (or at least two of them) were the same generation, but VEEEERRRRYYYYY different to each other. Also, this particular speaker came out early last year. The R Series is brand new, so that Uni-Q is likely to have a bunch of trickle down or lower cost adaptations.

I'd also wager that KEF didn't do much in terms of price increases since 2014, unlike many other brands, making the increase seem more of a jump because it was in one go rather than increments.
It appears the fluctuations in exchange rates since 2014 have helped mitigate the KEF price increases in the US. In the UK, the home of KEF of course, the launch price of the original Refs was £4,500. The new model is now £7,500, or 66% more. This still makes me question if this is justified. I understand if, along with many other hifi manufacturers recently it seems, KEF‘s business model wishes to make more profit from fewer Items sold but I doubt I, for one, will (literally) buy into it.

npxavar

Nov 30, 2022
Visit site
I understand if, along with many other hifi manufacturers recently it seems, KEF‘s business model wishes to make more profit from fewer Items sold but I doubt I, for one, will (literally) buy into it.
What you are referring to is "Elasticity of Demand" and it is possible to measure it and increase prices with a great degree of confidence.

KenM10759

Jun 15, 2023
Visit site
Apart from the metal front plate the KEF R3 Meta and the KEF Ref 1 Meta look exactly the same. Also the drivers seem to be the same? How do these 2 speakers relate and is the Ref 1 worth the extra thousands?

There are a tremendous amount of differences! The Reference 1 gets a larger, heavier, better-damped cabinet. It gets totally different (MUCH better) Uni-Q driver and woofer. It gets the "Flexible Port Technology." The finishes are far better. And in the end, the sound is in a completely higher strata.

Yes, it is totally worth the investment. Like in any audio-oriented discussion, personal values, one's own ears, and acceptance of diminishing returns for the money spent is always there as decision factors, but I own the 2019-2021 Silver Satin Walnut Reference 1 (non-Meta) and for me they stomp the R series, LS50, and LS50 Meta which I owned all of at the time I bought the Reference 1's. All the others are now sold.

TRENDING THREADS