KEF LS50 Actives anyone?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
drummerman said:
daveh75 said:
PFM are hardly their target audience...

I would have thought anyone with £2k to spend is their target.

I wouldn't read much into it either but he/they have actually heard them.

We haven't.

That's all.
He also mentions the TAD speakers didn't do anything for him - so I'm guessing he likes a bit of character to his sound. I thought the TADs were one of the best sounding speakers at Bristol this year.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
drummerman said:
Over at PFM, one member went to the 'Indulgence Show' where, amongst many others, Kef demonstrated the LS50A.

Not a brilliant first impression but it seems to go hand-in-hand with the usual active traits of control.

Head over to:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.co.uk/

I wouldnt read into what he says (even though i have not read it)

I really wouldnt know how you could (in a show demo)
Prefer another amp.

Maybe hes worried the traditional hifi is being taken from him.

There is no way if well designed that they can sound worse off

S

SemiChronic

I suspect it'll be the usual re-quoting huge posts again and again, hours of scrolling and bitching, with a good measure of baldness thrown in too apparently.

So yes, usual rules apply :)

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
I'm a big fan of the passive ls50s so I'm hopeful about these. However, all small actives I've heard in the past I found disappointing and easily out performed by a carefully constructed system with passive speakers. With that said, the convenience is worth some sacrifice in SQ. I use a pair of the new sonos play 5s in my family room and really enjoy them.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
jaxwired said:
I'm a big fan of the passive ls50s so I'm hopeful about these.  However, all small actives I've heard in the past I found disappointing and easily out performed by a carefully constructed system with passive speakers.  With that said, the convenience is worth some sacrifice in SQ.  I use a pair of the new sonos play 5s in my family room and really enjoy them.  

Load of misleading crap

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
jaxwired said:
I'm a big fan of the passive ls50s so I'm hopeful about these. However, all small actives I've heard in the past I found disappointing and easily out performed by a carefully constructed system with passive speakers. With that said, the convenience is worth some sacrifice in SQ. I use a pair of the new sonos play 5s in my family room and really enjoy them.

Load of misleading crap

Yes, but at least it's a full load. No partial loads here.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
drummerman said:
Over at PFM, one member went to the 'Indulgence Show' where, amongst many others, Kef demonstrated the LS50A.

Not a brilliant first impression but it seems to go hand-in-hand with the usual active traits of control.

Head over to:

http://audiophilemusings.blogspot.co.uk/

I wouldnt read into what he says (even though i have not read it)

I really wouldnt know how you could (in a show demo) Prefer another amp.

Maybe hes worried the traditional hifi is being taken from him.

There is no way if well designed that they can sound worse off
I don't think there's enough to go on to start attributing those biases to him.

Personally, I took the fact that he said that they were probably worth another listen as implying that it's hard to make a proper judgment at shows and that the room wasn't really any good for them.

As for preferring another amp, as someone already said, he may prefer something with a bit more character/colour, or whatever.

It's really hard to judge because he doesn't say what amps, but I do recall a review where passive ATCs outperformed their active equivalents, albeit on the end of some very expensive amplification. Really he didn't say enough to get much of a takeaway from his blurb other than the passive version didn't wow him and neither did the active version.

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
I want to know what options are in the "expert" section of the set up app...

These are a few settings *biggrin*:

KEF_11.jpg

KEF_12.jpg

KEF_13.jpg

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
I have the KEF LS50 wireless for about 2 weeks now and all i can say is that these are incredible speakers. By far the best compact speakers i ever had in my setup.

I compared them with the passive LS50 in combination with the Musical Fidelity Encore 225 and i found the wireless LS50 better in all areas.

There are still a few bugs in the android app though and gapless playback is not (yet ?) supported.

ErwinC said:
I have the KEF LS50 wireless for about 2 weeks now and all i can say is that these are incredible speakers. By far the best compact speakers i ever had in my setup.

I compared them with the passive LS50 in combination with the Musical Fidelity Encore 225 and i found the wireless LS50 better in all areas.

There are still a few bugs in the android app though and gapless playback is not (yet ?) supported.
Interesting feedback, thanks. Failure on gapless is unforgivable though. For me that's a bit like offering a cassette deck without Dolby noise reduction (showing my age with that analogy!)

manicm

nopiano said:
ErwinC said:

Interesting feedback, thanks. Failure on gapless is unforgivable though. For me that's a bit like offering a cassette deck without Dolby noise reduction (showing my age with that analogy!)
Funny analogy you use, I never ever used Dolby NR - it sucked the life out of the music. It's like turntable hiss - you soon forget tape hiss is there.

manicm said:
nopiano said:
ErwinC said:

Funny analogy you use, I never ever used Dolby NR - it sucked the life out of the music. It's like turntable hiss - you soon forget tape hiss is there.
Not the best choice then! How about like a turntable and cartridge without a stylus?

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:

I don't understand that new streaming products come out without gapless playback support. *scratch_one-s_head*

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
nopiano said:
manicm said:
nopiano said:
ErwinC said:

Not the best choice then! How about like a turntable and cartridge without a stylus?
Ah, this is where I went wrong.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
It's surprising how many hifi manufacturers view gapless as an afterthought. At a different price point, wasn't the Marantz MCR603 similarly crippled, only to be put right by the MCR610? You don't even need a ridiculous amount of onboard memory to buffer a second's worth of the next track in advance. In fact 176,400 bytes is precisely enough.

manicm

nopiano said:
manicm said:
nopiano said:
ErwinC said:

Interesting feedback, thanks.  Failure on gapless is unforgivable though.  For me that's a bit like offering a cassette deck without Dolby noise reduction (showing my age with that analogy!)
Not the best choice then!  How about like a turntable and cartridge without a stylus?

I meant both turntable and tape hiss never bothered me, after a minute it just disappears into the music.

And I maintain, in my deck at least, that vanilla Dolby NR was cr@p.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
daveh75 said:

I heard them at the Windsor show last year. They sounded very good with the material they were being fed, but that material seemed to shy away from deep bass lines and low frequency stuff. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I went in to that room several times ( free coffee *biggrin* ) and all I heard was plinky plonky mid and high range music. Like I say that stuff did sound very good!

manicm

Gazzip said:
daveh75 said:

I heard them at the Windsor show last year. They sounded very good with the material they were being fed, but that material seemed to shy away from deep bass lines and low frequency stuff. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I went in to that room several times ( free coffee *biggrin* ) and all I heard was plinky plonky mid and high range music. Like I say that stuff did sound very good!

Yeah, I'm generalising here, but some hi-fi outfits only play Linn type music, and some frown when you bring your rock/high energy stuff.

Replicant666

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Well as far as Im concerned if a product cant do gapless its not hi-fi and just in easy listening mp3/shuffle territory, but I guess it depends on what music youre into

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
I heard them at the Windsor show last year. They sounded very good with the material they were being fed, but that material seemed to shy away from deep bass lines and low frequency stuff. Maybe I was just unlucky, but I went in to that room several times ( free coffee *biggrin* ) and all I heard was plinky plonky mid and high range music. Like I say that stuff did sound very good!
The pair I get in won't be any stranger to deep bass!

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
davidf said:
Gazzip said:

Give 'em hell David, give 'em hell.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Gazzip said:
davidf said:
Gazzip said:

Give 'em hell David, give 'em hell.

...and report back!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts