KEF LS50 Actives anyone?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
is the cable connecting the two speakers, otherwise they've covered most bases. You'd have thought they would have followed Dynaudio's lead on that one.

Still, this could be a game changer, depending on price in the UK and post 2019 europe.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
avole said:
is the cable connecting the two speakers, otherwise they've covered most bases. You'd have thought they would have followed Dynaudio's lead on that one.

Still, this could be a game changer, depending on price in the UK and post 2019 europe.
At least it's taking the signal to the other speaker digitally - so can't be interfered with or drop out.

This is the downside to "wireless speakers" that many people don't realise until they start researching them. A speaker will never be completely wireless. To do that, they'd need to run on batteries. The Dynaudio is about as close to wireless as you'll get, but you still need a box to plug all your sources into - cables.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
I take your point, but having streamed UK TV plus, since it comes with your internet connection, French TV for a number of years and also music via my iPhone or mac using airplay, it all seems pretty well sorted to me. Usually any problem is outside my wireless network. The only incident I remember was caused by flash flooding in the south of France, which cut not only the ADSL/fibre networks but also the electricity and the mobile network for a couple of days, so a digital cable connection wouldn't have helped !

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I can see the reviews for this already written in the sky. Also pricing will play a big part in how things go up or dwn. Suppose dimensions would be much bigger on the actives.

daveh75

ErwinC said:
daveh75 said:
Leeps said:
Having gone as far as including a DAC, DSP, app-based tweaking et al, the icing on the cake would have been an ethernet connection and built-in streaming services (Tidal, Deezer, Spotify).  At the moment you still need to purchase another box for streaming.

They do have an Ethernet connection

But no DLNA network streaming or built-in streaming services? For what purpose is the ethernet connection?

For network streaming obviously.

David@FrankHarvey said:
App control. Maybe things to come...

It would be beyond idiotic to include network connectivity to then only use it for setup and control...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
davedotco said:
The Yamaha NX-N500 have all the functionality of the KEFs and more, Airplay, Spotify Connect, Pandora, internet radio etc. Unusually they also broadcast via Bluetooth to a Bluetooth headset.

Keeps it simple by using a single dac, so there are two interconnecting cables, analogue music plus digital control data.

About a third of the price of the KEFs for those with tighter budgets.

http://europe.yamaha.com/en/products/audio-visual/speaker-systems/network_powered_speaker/nx-n500/?mode=model

I'm very pleased with Yamaha's MusicCast system.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
This is a real pet hate of mine, totally misleading but I see that on the KEF website they're advertising them as such so What Hi-Fi are simply following their lead. Still not an accurate description. Is the term active so offensive to some, seemingly so... ;-)

What Hi-Fi clearly demonstrates the general public's perception of a wireless speaker here very well.

http://www.whathifi.com/best-buys/hi-fi/best-wireless-speakers

ErwinC

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
avole said:

I don't think you need to use the interconnecting cable. You can probably also 'connect' them wireless.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
and have cable overkill. That was to Davedotco, by the way. Also, the Yamaha is hardly at the same sonic level as the Kef, and isn't intended to be.

Your argument is also specious. Speakers normally offer the same features, as in one or two inputs plus a crossover, but, as they do, are they the same?

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
avole said:
and have cable overkill. That was to Davedotco, by the way. Also, the Yamaha is hardly at the same sonic level as the Kef, and isn't intended to be.

Your argument is also specious. Speakers normally offer the same features, as in one or two inputs plus a crossover, but, as they do, are they the same?

these yamahas are active

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
avole said:

The NX-N500 are, as I pointed out a budget setup, I have no idea how they compare in performance terms to the KEFs and given the price difference I doubt it is relevant.

The functionality appears to be a match for the KEFs, possibly even superior, but we need more information to see what the KEFs are capable of.

The 'cable overload' comment is absurd, two interconnecting cables instead of one is hardly 'overload' and more than compensated by the likelyhood of having more inbuilt capability, but in that respect we shall see.

Oh, in what way are the NS-N500 'not active'?

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
avole said:

The NX-N500 are, as I pointed out a budget setup, I have no idea how they compare in performance terms to the KEFs and given the price difference I doubt it is relevant.

The functionality appears to be a match for the KEFs, possibly even superior, but we need more information to see what the KEFs are capable of.

The 'cable overload' comment is absurd, two interconnecting cables instead of one is hardly 'overload' and more than compensated by the likelyhood of having more inbuilt capability, but in that respect we shall see.

When we're talking about loudspeakers. Good one, Davedotco, I'll get myself a cheapo soundbar. You've saved me thousands.

Oh, this bit, taken from their website: Bi-amp 2-way powered speaker

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
that's all you've deserved avole - cheapo, secondhand and broken soundbar.. wouldn't be far from what you have now.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
avole said:
davedotco said:
avole said:

When we're talking about loudspeakers. Good one, Davedotco, I'll get myself a cheapo soundbar. You've saved me thousands.

'We're talking about' functionality, I have made no comment about sound quality.

Since you have, quite clearly, never had hands on a pair of NX-N500, I can categorically assure you that they are indeed bi-amped.

KEF's single cable data transfer is clearly more sophisticated, the NX-N500 use a single dac to overcome contention issues, hence the need for two cables. Be interesting to see if KEF can make this connection wireless.

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
lpv said:
that's all you've deserved avole - cheapo, secondhand and broken soundbar.. wouldn't be far from what you have now.
I have two soundbars connected to a cheapo CA amp. Quite willing for a bake-off, but will have to be in France.

You have ATC, I believe? Should be close!

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
davedotco said:
avole said:
davedotco said:
avole said:

'We're talking about' functionality, I have made no comment about sound quality.

Since you have, quite clearly, never had hands on a pair of NX-N500, I can categorically assure you that they are indeed bi-amped.

KEF's single cable data transfer is clearly more sophisticated, the NX-N500 use a single dac to overcome contention issues, hence the need for two cables. Be interesting to see if KEF can make this connection wireless.
Sigh! You could try reading my post ...

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
So is it a POS yet? Or should we wait for DM10 owners to flock to their nearest KEF outlets in November?

Dave could host a DM10 vs LS50 Active 'bake-off' at Frank Harvey Hifi!

manix

May 31, 2016
Visit site
Lets hope Kef learnt something from the problematic subs they sold a few years ago. I wonder if they will recommend not to keep them on standby.

Anyway it's a bad idea putting all this stuff into one box (well two) from the point of view of reliability but hey people are happy with this idea now.

Basically you can't alter the amp

You can't alter the speakers

You can't alter the dac

You want to change how it sounds, go and buy a whole new unit.

The tech goes out of date, go buy a whole new unit.

The units go wrong bad enough you write off the whole lot off.

Resale value if the tech goes out of date - not a lot

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
avole said:
davedotco said:
avole said:
davedotco said:
avole said:

Sigh! You could try reading my post ...

Clearly missing something here, perhaps you could enlighten me as to what that is? *unknw*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts