KEF KHT5005 Vs B&W MT-30 PACKAGE...... upgrade quandry!!!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I'm wondering if I can get a little advice with regard to an upgrade I had pretty much signed on the dotted line for..... until another dealer gave some very conflicting advice!

I currently have as part of my home cinema set-up the KEF KHT5005(.1) speakers. When I bought them I also auditioned the MT-30 package but thought £1000 for a sub at the time as part of the package was too much so went for the KEF's. Now I have more money to play with, I am looking to upgrade to either the B&W MT-30 package (as I remember how good it was), or to 5 B&W M1's and the new ASW608 sub instead of the PV1, to bring down the cost a little (as I also want one of the new G9 Pioneer's......but that can wait!!)

I have the benefit of a very friendly local dealer who will px the KEF package I bought from them originally meaning I would get a favourable deal on either package. I was all ready to go and purchase on Friday of this week having been told either would be better than my current set-up, but thought I would call one of the other big dealers that advertise in your lovely magazine first, to see if they could offer a package price for the MT-30 close to the £1150 someone in this months readers section has mentioned, no such joy!! (do we know who this dealer is by the way? Its mentioned in the Speaker Packages - which award winner column - page 77)

However, the larger dealer asked me what I was upgrading and when I told him, he said that the KEF KHT5005 sat speakers are actually far better than the B&W M1's, so whilst I would be improving on the sub, especially if I opted for the PV1, I would actually be getting less for my money with regard to the sat speakers!

Now, I am totally confused. Do I keep my speakers as is and just upgrade the sub, or do I go for the MT-30 package and just accept it was a subjective opinion?? Or do I even consider something else entirely? I dont want big boxes though.

I can supply the dealers names I am referring to above if you wish, however thought it best to leave them anonymous for the time being, although they are both KEF and B&W dealers.

Some help would be appreciated on this please.

Many thanks!!

A

Anonymous

Speakers: your KEF package is in the same price bracket for speakers, and some would say the sats are better than the M1's. I have heard both, and I'd say there is not a huge amount in it. I'd go more with what YOU hear, as quality is comparable, and visuals are also a factor.
Sub: it's down to what you want to pay v what you want (looks/sound/size).

I'm at a loss as to why you want to "upgrade" just because you have more money. If you are staying in the "style" arena (no proper box speakers) then you have to demo all the options and decide if you are paying for a real improvent, or suffering from upgradeitus.

You seem to be after advice, but I'd ask what it is about your KEFs that you don't like? In my opinion, the PV1 is the only upgrade in relative terms here. You wont gain anything significant in the sats by moving sideways...

As for prices, you can buy 5 M1's for £400 ex demo, and the PV1 ex demo for £600 if you hunt around. All in, any Sevenoaks should be well under the £1575 price (Superfi wouldn't even come close when I asked). I paid under this with a 606 added! You just need to ASK!

Find a Sevenoaks, demo ALL the options, and mix the sub up. Don't just upgrade for the sake of it. I think your current set up is more than adequate, and your choice is personal taste rather than obvious upgrade in respect of all the options you list.

(example: What Hifi rate MT30 better than the Kef 3005SE. Same team rate the 3005SE better than the MT20. So, the inference is the PV1 is the deal breaker, the M1's being nothing major above the competition. Your 5005 sats are at least on a par!)

A

Anonymous

Hi SAP7,

Thank you for the great comments, most insightful!!! (and yes, I probably do suffer from upgradeitus if I am honest!!!)

I personally found the B&W package to sound slightly more cohesive than the KEF when I auditioned them together, but the KEF's were ex-dem at the time and a far more attractive deal, its not that I am unhappy with how they sound, just wonder whether I can gain more?

I went from the Yamaha RX1600 to the new 1800 and have to say the difference was night and day, perhaps im expecting too much thinking a speaker "upgrade" may do the same! More so as I am struggling with the concept that a sub really will make that much of a difference?

Its not like I am after massive bass, just want the system to sound tighter, perhaps 7.1 is a better and more worthwhile upgrade given my blu-ray and HD players? I wonder if a sub and two additional sat speakers would be the night and day im looking for again!!

Funnily enough the larger dealer I refered to in my original messaqe was actually Sevenoaks in Bedford, even offering to buy the new 509 Pioneer plasma at the same time they were not really offering to discount, more so if it was just a speaker package which left me a bit dissapointed really!!! And it was they who said the 5005's were better sats (even the 3005's were better according to them!)

I have booked Friday off this week to try to sort this out, I think I shall follow your advice and see what they can offer, however maybe it needs to be a different store more willing to negotiate on prices. Do you mind if I ask which Sevenoaks you went visited as you seem to have achieved a great deal?

Thanks for your advice.

A

Anonymous

Nottingham.

It is about supply sometimes, and what stock they have on the shelf, and need to shift. They are all franchises, so you have to consider that the owner is King, and will have his income to think of.
With a franchise, each dealer will have their own ideas on how low they will go, so shop around even amongst chains.

I think you will only gain massively in proper box speakers. The sub is another issue though, and I think honestly that it is more appearance and personal taste at style speaker level. I hated the egg look, loved the M1's, and the 5005's were just too big (I have to have my front M1's horizontal like the centre to not obscure my tv.) I'd have been happy sound wise with any. The PV1 sold it as I have it on full view due to space and I really disliked the KEF one. Despite the PV1 being better (I think) it was as much about looks for me, or I'd have gone with a cheaper BK or REL and just bought the sat package.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts