KEF E305 or 3005 (SE)

Macintosh

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Hey, I'm new here. Sorry for my bad english, I'm from Germany. *biggrin*

I'm looking for a replacement for my KEF 2005.3 Speakers

Has anyone compared the above mentioned speakers E305 and 3005 and can tell me his impressions?

For me its not really clear which one sounds better. In the review here on what hifi they also compared it only with other actual models.

Thanks!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The 3005 package has been discontinued for some time now. Other than benefitting from the latest UniQ drivers, one of the main improvements of the E305 package over previous apckages is its superior sub integration - it is more like listening to a normal hi-fi speaker than a sub/sat package for music.

Macintosh

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for your answer.

I have read about the perfect integration that you comment. But they also wrote the subwoofer is not as potent as the previous one. The center on the SE Set is much bigger, and the satellites play down to 70hz, the E305 only 90hz.

I have the choice between a used 3005 SE Set with the HT2B Subwoofer and the E305 for almost the same price. Which do you think is the better decision?

Macintosh

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
That's right. But sadly I don't have the possibility to hear the 2 systems because no shop has the 3005...

Have you heard both in comparison?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As I say, the first thing I noticed when hearing the E305s for the first time was the sub integration - they just sounded like a full range speaker rather than a sub/sat system. If music is important, this will be a major factor, but if you are AV only, I doubt you will go wrong with either package.

Macintosh

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
yes, music is very important for me. If the E305 works better with music I think I will get them.

Only the build quality seems to be a lot better at the 3005.

In the reviews was also mentioned that at lower volumes it loses dynamics? Can you confirm that or did you only heard at loud volumes?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Macintosh said:
In the reviews was also mentioned that at lower volumes it loses dynamics? Can you confirm that or did you only heard at loud volumes?
That may also depend on the amplifier used. I usually recommend receivers between £1,000 and £2,000 for these types of speaker packages as they tend to get more out of them. Entry level AV receivers tend to be a little compromised in the amplifier department to make the most of the speaker's capabilities, although they'll run them fine.

Macintosh

Mar 18, 2015
Visit site
ooops :( 1.000 - 2.000? I always thought those receivers are used for speakers in another price range.

My AV-Receiver is only a Yamaha RX-S600. Is it too weak?

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Macintosh said:
ooops :( 1.000 - 2.000? I always thought those receivers are used for speakers in another price range.

My AV-Receiver is only a Yamaha RX-S600. Is it too weak?

Quality speakers do improve with better amplification. The RXS600 will drive them fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts