Just picked up the Awards issue - who knows who got the readers award product? Apart from me?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Gazzip said:
I doubt it. Surely it’s a firmware issue, although the fact it hasn’t been sorted yet could indicate a deeper problem.
As I’ve said before, KEF haven’t been in a rush to sort all issues out at the same time - they’ve tackled them one by one, and I guess in the order of reports received through the app. I guess either not many people have reported gapless playback, or it doesn’t affect many people in the way that it does some. Connectivity problems are obviously more important than gapless playback, for example, and as such, connectivity problems have been sorted - mine have worked faultlessly for the last 2 days since I did the latest update (now Roon enabled).

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
davidf said:
Gazzip said:
I doubt it. Surely it’s a firmware issue, although the fact it hasn’t been sorted yet could indicate a deeper problem.
As I’ve said before, KEF haven’t been in a rush to sort all issues out at the same time - they’ve tackled them one by one, and I guess in the order of reports received through the app. I guess either not many people have reported gapless playback, or it doesn’t affect many people in the way that it does some. Connectivity problems are obviously more important than gapless playback, for example, and as such, connectivity problems have been sorted - mine have worked faultlessly for the last 2 days since I did the latest update (now Roon enabled).

...and as I’ve said before if the streaming/network player part of the system doesn’t currently work properly then how on earth can it win a best system award? I don’t really give a monkeys about what the LS50W’s might one day be. I am more concerned about what they are now and how on earth they won that award on that basis.

There is a young Jamaican sprinter called Christopher Taylor who is leading the charge to be Jamaica's next Usain Bolt. He will undoubtedly be a world/Olympic champion one day. Shall we give him the medals or should we make him earn them when he is actually ready?

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
davidf said:
Sorry, can’t answer that one, but I guess so.

The app is only controlling the 'system', not processing the music files itself (as it would be, say, in Bluetooth streaming).

So the solution (or lack thereof so far) is more fundamental, and will be in the way the speakers' internal streaming solution is handling the files it receives. In some early systems not offering gapless playback, this muting between tracks was all about avoiding glitches as one track 'handed over' to the next, in order to avoid any clicks or nasty noises caused by the DAC's momentary loss of digital lock.

I really thought this sort of stuff had been sorted a long time ago in systems such as this, or was ironed out before they went on sale, but it seems not.

Gazzip said:
...and as I’ve said before if the streaming/network player part of the system doesn’t currently work properly then how on earth can it win a best system award? I don’t really give a monkeys about what the LS50W’s might one day be. I am more concerned about what they are now and how on earth they won that award on that basis.
Dunno, have a chat with WHF about that one - I don’t give out the awards.

Q

QuestForThe13thNote

I don’t understand how they give best floorstanders above £2k to something like the spendor a4 which isn’t really a floorstander, it’s somewhat a funny concept speaker for me. It may be good but if I was buying that idea of the a4 I’d go for neat iota alpha or a similar better speaker of the same ilk. Maybe Larsen speakers similar design to the iota alpha.

But I’ve noticed that whf have gone for smaller and smaller floorstanders. There just comes a point where’s physics will shrink the soundstage and imaging to a level they surely can’t be decent anymore against similar normal small floorstanders. I’d much rather buy a good compact decent floorstander with better soundstage etc, than something like the a4. Some fab floorstanders like the pro ac dt8 around that cash. It seems what whf have a penchant for spendor in recent years?

Gazzip said:

A “system” is defined as a set of things working together as parts of a mechanism or an interconnecting network; a complex whole.
Just for info purposes - as of today, I've got Roon up and running - playing Roger Waters' Amused To Death - gapless playback.

insider9

davidf said:
Gazzip said:
I doubt it. Surely it’s a firmware issue, although the fact it hasn’t been sorted yet could indicate a deeper problem.

A “system” is defined as a set of things working together as parts of a mechanism or an interconnecting network; a complex whole.
Just for info purposes - as of today, I've got Roon up and running - playing Roger Waters' Amused To Death - gapless playback.
I'd love your feedback on Roon, David. Dealers perspective. Perhaps another thread? For me it's the best UI I've used to date and it offers so much more.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
davidf said:
Gazzip said:

A “system” is defined as a set of things working together as parts of a mechanism or an interconnecting network; a complex whole.
great album Amused to death

Blacksabbath25 said:
davidf said:
Gazzip said:

great album Amused to death
Tis. Just wished Waters had remastered it and not tinkered with it. The 24/192 file sounds stunning.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts