Just how good are...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
JoelSim:
Big Chris:Meh......Not really. Never got into Nirvana personally, but my Wife likes/liked them, so I've also got Nirvana in the CD rack.I try to stop her buying CDs. The last one was the new Kings of Leon CD.......Despite my protestations....;-)

What on earth would you do if she bought a James Blunt album then?

KOL is pretty full-on, no?

ÿ

TBH, I don't hate K.O.L. I mean, it's not like she's listening to Westlife or something is it?

:)

I do enjoy some mellow acoustic stuff, but it's usually quite depressing material (Steve Von Till anyone?)

I like the song that was on the very first Bravia advert with the balls bouncing around San Francisco....I don't know who it was by, but I think he has a Mexican name.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:JoelSim:
Big Chris:Meh......Not really. Never got into Nirvana personally, but my Wife likes/liked them, so I've also got Nirvana in the CD rack.I try to stop her buying CDs. The last one was the new Kings of Leon CD.......Despite my protestations....;-)

What on earth would you do if she bought a James Blunt album then?

KOL is pretty full-on, no?

ÿ

TBH, I don't hate K.O.L. I mean, it's not like she's listening to Westlife or something is it?:)I do enjoy some mellow acoustic stuff, but it's usually quite depressing material (Steve Von Till anyone?)I like the song that was on the very first Bravia advert with the balls bouncing around San Francisco....I don't know who it was by, but I think he has a Mexican name.

You need to crack on a Jack Johnson cd, that's mellow acoustic in it's best sense. With an Arc of course.

ÿ

T

the record spot

I don't think you need spend thousands to find that it more often than not will come down to the sonic character of a piece of kit. I had (and still do) an Arcam Alpha 5 amp which I used about 10-15 years ago; great amp, still working and wanted an upgrade. I tried out the Rega Mira (I think it was) about 8 years ago, twice the price at £500. Virtually, no difference.

I ended up buying the Rega P3 instead and later went out and bought the current amp (Marantz 6010 KI) and that was the night and day difference for me.

The more recent dip into higher end CD players has highlighted a similar problem, although I would say that the differences can be more subtle beyond a certain price point but you do get a much higher quality component more often than not.

lonely boy

Apr 19, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:I do enjoy some mellow acoustic stuff, but it's usually quite depressing material (Steve Von Till anyone?)

Love Von Till's solo material. Also, by association Amber Asylum.

Big Chris:I like the song that was on the very first Bravia advert with the balls bouncing around San Francisco....I don't know who it was by, but I think he has a Mexican name.

That would be Heartbeats by Jos‚ Gonz lez.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
JoelSim:

systems costing upwards of £10k?

Or even £20k?

I see there are some reviews of £12k speakers, Kef Reference etc and actually although I consider myself to be a mid-fi audiophile, just how much better than a £5k system is a £10k system?

CD player - The more you spend it doesn't mean the better the sound! I think £5 Marantz is properbly as good as digital source will get. (different taste in music does come to play though)

Amp - They do get a lot better components as price go up, Pre-Power would be my option when spending more than £5K although the like of integrated Graff and ASR Emitter II Exclusive could be all you ever need depending on speakers. I think if you price match pre/power to a pair of speakers you can't go too far wrong.

Speakers - The only room depending part of hifi rig, the more you spend it will generally get better. A lot better in my case! I never have a system that sound as good as I have now but then again I never spend this much before.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Joel, just in case you`re thinking of spending mega bucks on a new system then I would advise against.

You not only have a fantastic sounding system but from what you said about the price you paid for most of it then you have the good value factor as well.

I`ll bet if you spent £20k on a new system you`d be thinking to yourself " Yeah it sounds good but does it sound any/much better than my current one?"

You may not be thinking about buying one at all but I thought I`d give you my opinion just in case!

A

Anonymous

Big Chris:True.

A belly full of Madras, and a few pints of Kronenbourg may have aided my appraisal.

(Plus, the couple had no heavy metal, so I was finding it hard to connect on that level)

;-)

Did you fancy the wife though? [sorry, I'll get me coat]

Apart from the Kronenberg, metal and Madras sound great!

Tool and Rush fan here, with a penchant for Coheed and Cambria, and sitting here with my Rammmstein t-shirt on - it must be my age........oh, I like all kinds of music too Chris.

DistortedVision

Feb 18, 2008
Visit site
I have a £20 000 system excluding the turntable and even I would say that diminishing returns set in at much lower price level. However, in my experience diminishing returns apply least to speakers.Anyway fortunately for me I bought all my T+A gear at distributor price brand new through a close friend of mine a few years ago but that's another story.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts