Just cancelled Netflix, where to spend the money instead?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I've only rented a film via a streaming service to watch a few times, and only because it was 99p - I wouldn't pay any more than that to view a film once. I'll "buy" the odd film on iTunes if the physical media is ridiculously expensive due to limited release numbers.

hifi

Feb 8, 2023
Visit site
I've only rented a film via a streaming service to watch a few times, and only because it was 99p - I wouldn't pay any more than that to view a film once. I'll "buy" the odd film on iTunes if the physical media is ridiculously expensive due to limited release numbers.
Never rented a film i buy used CD,DVD Viynl what ever format and keep it .You watch it when it suits you.

Reactions: DougK1
Never rented a film i buy used CD,DVD Viynl what ever format and keep it .You watch it when it suits you.
Exactly what I do. Just occasionally I might watch a film on streaming I like, but when I try and find a physical copy, it's ridiculously expensive. Theres been a few films that have never had a Bluray release, so the DVD ends up being £20-30 or more, which I'm not prepared to pay for standard definition. In that case, if I'll keep an eye on it on iTunes to see if it drops to a few quid, if so, I'll nab it. If it gets a later Bluray release or a DVD copy miraculously comes up for a fiver or something, the few quid I spent on the iTunes copy is no great loss.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
I get Disney free with the bank card loyalty offer and I think it the best out of a bad bunch there is plenty on there and star has some good shows, shogun i'm looking foward to. Netflix is utter trash most of the time. Apple is actually pretty decent, so don't really get the hate, Silo is a stand out for me. But yes there isnt currently enough for a long term sub. Prime is pretty poo to and only really pay for it because I want the Prime delivery service and then there's paramount and thats pretty poo.

TBH TV In general is mostly poo and nothing much interests me. Id rather be out on the push bike now the weather is perking up well ive been on it all winter. but you get my point

Reactions: DougK1

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
I get Disney free with the bank card loyalty offer and I think it the best out of a bad bunch there is plenty on there and star has some good shows, shogun i'm looking foward to. Netflix is utter trash most of the time. Apple is actually pretty decent, so don't really get the hate, Silo is a stand out for me. But yes there isnt currently enough for a long term sub. Prime is pretty poo to and only really pay for it because I want the Prime delivery service and then there's paramount and thats pretty poo.

TBH TV In general is mostly poo and nothing much interests me. Id rather be out on the push bike now the weather is perking up well ive been on it all winter. but you get my point
I think we bank at the same place, I took the film tickets as I give them to my nephew.

Reactions: twinkletoes

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Netflix on occasions when it is not too hung up on Woke, will show some decent material. I absolutely loved The Gentlemen series from Guy Ritchie and great cast Theo James, Kaya Scodelario, Daniel Ings, Joely Richardson and yes that retired footballer wots his name, you know the groin cruncher....aaah it'll come to me. Never liked Wimbledom FC!

I'm paying Netflix £15 per month for 4K and it's reasonable.
I only wish there was an alternative bona fide provider that can provide an alternative universal platform, a best of all the studios. Not Sky, which is utter
Amazon, Apple, HMO are all milk trains. I have IPTV and I get most of these any way but the service is fragmented and inconsistent

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Netflix on occasions when it is not too hung up on Woke, will show some decent material. I absolutely loved The Gentlemen series from Guy Ritchie and great cast Theo James, Kaya Scodelario, Daniel Ings, Joely Richardson and yes that retired footballer wots his name, you know the groin cruncher....aaah it'll come to me. Never liked Wimbledom FC!

I'm paying Netflix £15 per month for 4K and it's reasonable.
I only wish there was an alternative bona fide provider that can provide an alternative universal platform, a best of all the studios. Not Sky, which is utter
Amazon, Apple, HMO are all milk trains. I have IPTV and I get most of these any way but the service is fragmented and inconsistent
I have a great IPTV provider that's consistent.
Nearly everything is on it with a very intuitive dashboard.

What's strange is I still seem to watch the more obscure films on freevee 🤷‍♀️ instead sometimes that have terrible ratings.

I had a TV licensing bully boy at the door not long ago.
After he pointed out he was recording me on his body cam it prompted a few harsh words.

One asking if he was a salesman and if I could go just walk into his house uninvited to miss-sell him something too.
I asked him why he thinks I should be entrapped into buying a TV licence with false information like leading people to believe they need one to watch anything on TV a favourite of theirs, with the various false information techniques like detector vans etc.

I had them round 3yrs ago and indeed invited them in to rid myself of their plague yet they think after seeing I watch IPTV and netflix I would make an about turn to the world of pain that is the BBC with it's featureless channels.

I further asked why Freeview is called "free"

I then removed his right of access to the property and sent him packing.

Recieving a letter saying he won't be coming back was refreshing some 3 days later left me vindicated.

I'd probably shoot them if I could it's a real room 101 thing to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jasonovich

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
I have a great IPTV provider that's consistent.
Nearly everything is on it with a very intuitive dashboard.

What's strange is I still seem to watch the more obscure films on freevee 🤷‍♀️ instead sometimes that have terrible ratings.

I had a TV licensing bully boy at the door not long ago.
After he pointed out he was recording me on his body cam it prompted a few harsh words.

One asking if he was a salesman and if I could go just walk into his house uninvited to miss-sell him something too.
I asked him why he thinks I should be entrapped into buying a TV licence with false information like leading people to believe they need one to watch anything on TV a favourite of theirs, with the various false information techniques like detector vans etc.

I had them round 3yrs ago and indeed invited them in to rid myself of their plague yet they think after seeing I watch IPTV and netflix I would make an about turn to the world of pain that is the BBC with it's featureless channels.

I further asked why Freeview is called "free"

I then removed his right of access to the property and sent him packing.

Recieving a letter saying he won't be coming back was refreshing some 3 days later left me vindicated.

I'd probably shoot them if I could it's a real room 101 thing to me.
Your comments echoes my position also. I'm 100% with you and emphasise your situation.

The IPTV most of the time is OK and everything for £63 annually can't complain. My wife who is Russian speaking, would watch all her channels on Satellite TV, then the EU decided to dismantle all their broadcasting, IPTV was a saviour, instead of 13 channels, there's about 200 Russian channels!
Everything about the BBC is so dire, it's mouthpiece for those who control us, non-stop dehumanising of a particular race of people, gaslighting of the populous, devoid of independent journalism, condescending and pointless, and yes, featureless and dated. I thought, why am I paying £155 TV tax each year just to be antagonised? I did what I should have done many years ago, I decided to terminate my contract and exercise my right to be excluded from their realm of influence. I went online and cancelled as per advised from a certain Youtube channel.

I've not had one of their TV Salesmen knocking on my door as yet, everything was done above board, so I'm not at liberty to allow them into my house.
Why do they assume, the BBC is so marvellous that people would do anything to watch it for free? That's chemically insane, I wouldn't waste a minute of my life watching this tripe or if you pay me to watch it. I rather come to this forum and chat :)

Reactions: Stuart83

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
there is Amazon is a great deal get free orders too then there is the star trek channel where again great value and there is a new Star trek series only available there Paramount plus. Sky is expensive then again if use it a lot and we do not have a TV aerial at all due to rules regarding aerials external ones but allowed Internet and a dish strangely enough. Being 300 ft asl we have a lot of windy stuff here ( right next to farmers fields ) By the way my dish is only at 6 ft above ground

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts