Budget Hi-fi system. Where to spend the money

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

john_dikeman

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Thanks Vladimir! I must say I'm pretty shocked someone on here knows this music, obscure as it is....

There is a bit of audio you can hear here: http://www.junodownload.com/products/john-dikeman-steve-noble-dirk-obscure-fluctuations/2878349-02/

And if you don't know Onno Govaert you should definitely check him out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_ti5ojXtaU

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thanks I'll check it out.

When I look at this Steve Noble video, if I mute the sound, he looks like a wedding band drummer. But let the sound out and oh man, transportation.

Anyway, back to the speaker hunt. You got my thumbs up for the Q100s. For jazz perfect.

john_dikeman

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Funny, I was at that gig. Yeah Steve is a monster! Been great being on the road with him a few days.

Another close connection, have you checked out Tomas Järmyr? He's the new drummer in Zu. I first met Dirk Serries, the guitarist from these trios, from him. Incredible young drummer.

Back to forum... Really excited to get a decent sound system together again. It's been a while. I'll pick up the Kef's sunday. After reading all the reviews I'm very curious.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The new drummer of ZU added on my list of artist to check out.
thumbs_up.gif
I haven't played some zuism for a while.

Thanks JD

john_dikeman

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
Just for the record... Managed to find an Arcam A18 and Kef Q100 speakers locally for around 650 euros. I don't know if some other set up could have been better, but I am completely satisfied. To my non-audiophile-though-profesional-musician ears, I think it sounds fantastic.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I realize I didn't follow too much of what was posted directly on here re recommendations, but thanks to the forum in general I think I was able to make a good choice for myself.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
richardw42 said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
richardw42 said:
There's a lot of turntable users there.
How ironic :)

yes. It's a paradox

My turntable sounds amazing on sh*t hot speakers. ;-)

As for the OP and his original post, as a musician seeking accuracy I'm amazed that actives weren't the obvious choice but guess this is What Hifi so there you go.,, Good luck with your implusive purchasing. ;-)

Edit: God knows how this old thread appeared on page 2 of the hifi forum threads.... on well.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
luckylion100 said:

As for the OP and his original post, as a musician seeking accuracy I'm amazed that actives weren't the obvious choice but guess this is What Hifi so there you go.,, Good luck with your implusive purchasing. ;-)

Edit: God knows how this old thread appeared on page 2 of the hifi forum threads.... on well.
luckylion, you do realise that your 1210 is not even the best sounding turntable that Technics ever made?

And which "forum rule breaking, foul mouthed description" speakers are you referring to? As I can't see any in your signature to which I'd give that description. I'm wondering if maybe you've tried some alternative speakers lately?

avole

Jul 15, 2016
Visit site
luckylion100 said:

But for what it's worth quite a few musicians here in France use Devialet Phantoms.

That said, passive speakers also give accuracy but, as with active speakers, there are some that do not. My turntable sounds great with my SF speakers, and BBC clones, which were all highly regarded studio monitors.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
luckylion100 said:

luckylion, you do realise that your 1210 is not even the best sounding turntable that Technics ever made?

And which "forum rule breaking, foul mouthed description" speakers are you referring to? As I can't see any in your signature to which I'd give that description. I'm wondering if maybe you've tried some alternative speakers lately?

I do but it doesn't stop me from loving my Technics. In fact it clearly lags well behind and doesn't compare sonically with my previous Nottingham Analogue but I still love it to bits. ;-)

Let's get one thing straight here, I don't answer to you but for the sake of clarity I was referring to a previous comment which was not included (in the quote) within my message as it should have been. Not my issue but this forum's short comings. The sh*t hot comment (as in a tongue in cheek) was a passionately positive appraisal, doesn't mean sh*t at all, quite the opposite in fact. It was was my own phrase used in reference to active speakers being used in conjunction with vinyl in reply to David's comment (again humorous in nature). Read the thread then figure it out.

No forum rules were broken here, but even if they were, half the current members would be banned along with me. Grow up and get a life!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
luckylion, do we have to go into 1984 type speak here?

If your 1210 with so far not clearly identified speakers, but most likely to be AVI DM10's with a sub sounds "amazing" then would a system with a better vinyl source and better sounding speakers sound doubleplusamazing?

If you look at the first post of the stickied thread at the top of this section of the forum, you will find the following rule:

"2. Members must not use swear words, or offensive phrases or terminology in their posts, user names or signatures."

Changing an "i" for a "*" does not turn something from a swear word into a non-swear word.

This is not about growing up and getting a life. It's about having the maturity and manners to abide by the rules of the forum that you are participating in.

Oct 27, 2016
Visit site
I'm not sure how to post a question here, so pardon me if this is not the right way. My concern is somewhat similar to the first question here, so...

I want to build a decent system for listening but can't afford all the components now. My first option is choosing from 4 stereo amps: cambridge cxa60, onkyo tx8150, onkyo A9010 and marantz pm6006 and buying budget speakers (wharfedale diamond 220). If I do this, which amp would probably give the best sound? All got 5 star reviews. I'm looking at the 8150 for the features but will it give the best sound?

Another option is to buy the onkyo A9030 (cheap and old, 4 stars) and pair it with either the dynaudio emit m10 or b&w 685s2. Is this wise, and which speaker will I choose if I go this way?

Now what if theoretically I can afford any of the amps and speakers I mentioned, which amp and speaker pair will give the best sound and value for money?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
James Molina said:
I'm not sure how to post a question here, so pardon me if this is not the right way. My concern is somewhat similar to the first question here, so...

I want to build a decent system for listening but can't afford all the components now. My first option is choosing from 4 stereo amps: cambridge cxa60, onkyo tx8150, onkyo A9010 and marantz pm6006 and buying budget speakers (wharfedale diamond 220). If I do this, which amp would probably give the best sound? All got 5 star reviews. I'm looking at the 8150 for the features but will it give the best sound?

Another option is to buy the onkyo A9030 (cheap and old, 4 stars) and pair it with either the dynaudio emit m10 or b&w 685s2. Is this wise, and which speaker will I choose if I go this way?

Now what if theoretically I can afford any of the amps and speakers I mentioned, which amp and speaker pair will give the best sound and value for money?

You are better to start a new thread, just go to new topic and paste these quetions in

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts