Just bought a CA 840a v1 on ebay

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
£485 delivered, supposedly perfect condition and only 20 hours use. Good deal? I've heard excellent reviews on this machine and I'm hoping it will be right for me. I thought that if it's not, I should be able to sell it for similar. Any thoughts?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
That's right John. If I am as happy with the sound as I was with the Evo, I'll be over the moon. I know it has the functionality that I'm looking for and it's supposed to sound great for a £750 amp so I am expecting a lot.

John Duncan

yeah, report back - I suspect a few people have been put off by the less-than-glowing review in some quarters, and it would be good to hear that it's actually cracking
emotion-1.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
To be honest, I've only heard this mag give it an average review - everywhere else it's raved about. My slight worry is that version 2 was brought out quite soon afterwards and that has been raved about - even by this mag. However, I have also read that there is hardly any change in the two models. I always thought I would never buy CA equipment - I feel that it could market it's products better - if the 840s are so much better than the rest of the Azur range - call it something else! But, I have put the name to one side and looked at the price range and feel that it's going to be a decent amp. I just now hope that the Ebay seller is an honest sort and it's in the perfect condition promised. I sold my Evo to a guy who had borrowed his son's one (which he bought for him) and was astounded at what he heard. He had recenty bought the new Rega (£300ish) amp and told me it was terrible.

John Duncan

Indeed, but as "the world's biggest home entertainment magazine", WHF's word holds a lot of sway - do you think there would have been a v2 so soon if it had been a five-star group test winner? And the v3 of the 640 is on its way now that it can't take on all-comers. Bet they make damn sure it's a six-star product again.........

John Duncan

As for marketing, I agree - I'd get them out of Richer-exclusive territory and into John Lewis and Sevenoaks, and I'd give them a better - gloss black or brushed aluminium - finish and chrome buttons. Primare for peanuts - they'd sell crateloads (more).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I'm sure that rating had a lot to do with the new version. But I'm sure that avreview's 10/10 for the original and HFC giving it superlatives galore must mean that it is a mighty fine machine. I will find out in a couple of days and let you know. WHF gave my cdp 4 stars by the way (Denon DCD700ae). I would say that it's as good as the Pioneer PD-D6-J that I owned for a couple of hours. The Pioneer got a stonking 5 stars and was raved over.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
It went back to Empire Direct. No one seems to advertise this but they are grey and not black! In the magazine, black is the only colour mentioned, on ever website, black was the only option but when it arrived, quite clearly on the Pioneer box - colour - grey. And grey does not look right on the end of 4 black boxes on a rack that has to keep someone else happy. It sounded great too. However, I must say that the one from the bottom of the range Denon sounds as good in my opinion - and was £130 cheaper!

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
oh i dont know john, a nice gold leak stereo 20 takes some beating. i agree with black but silver, just a lighter shade of grey.

John Duncan

[quote user="gregory"]oh i dont know john, a nice gold leak stereo 20 takes some beating. i agree with black but silver, just a lighter shade of grey.[/quote]

Actually, an old Densen B100 in black with gold knobs might swing it.........

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have been demo'd the 840A v1 and a Naim nait 5i (albeit in different dealers). I used the same music. I preferred the sound of the 840A. More spacious, airy and the instruments well defined in the soundstage. The Nait was v good but not as good as in the areas specified for the 840A v1.

Well done on a good buy.

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
Hi Gerrard,

I would also be interested to hear your thoughts on your 840 when you receive it!
Can I just give you a little advise? Trust me on this one
When you receive it don't try to connect any kind of decent speaker cable to it by unscrewing the Red and Black plastic Speaker Terminals on the back and trying to poke the cable in to the hole, they are really flimsy, and way too fiddly if you have large fingers like me which is a real pain.

If the previous owner hasn't already done so, take a small screwdriver and prize out the little black plastic Bungs that are on the head of the Black and Red terminals.
Buy some good quality Banana plugs, fit them on your speaker cables and then insert them where you took the bungs out, like I said trust me on this one, you'll see what I mean.

Tes

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks Tes, I have Chord Odyssey cables with Chord banana plugs - the way you explained is exactly how I shall be connecting up! I will probably not get the amp until Saturday as the courier company will arrive at my house to find we both work (to pay for these treats) and they will hopefully return it to the depot.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
840 arrived today and picked up from my neighbour when I got home from work. I've just had a quick play to make sure it was working! It is. It's also brand new - even the remote and batteries were still sealed. First impressions - great sound straightaway. I won't be able to play it loud until the morning (kids are in bed). I will give my honest opinion tomorrow. I'm just really pleased that it's as the advert described and better actually - it was boxed like it had not been used (even for the 20 hours specified).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts