Just acquired Primare CD31 + I30 amp today - now for the speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys! I just bought the Primare CD31 cdp + the I30 amp less than 3 hours ago! I auditioned them with the ProAc Studio 140. I compared them head on with the Naim CD5 XS cdp + Nait XS amp. As good as the Naim XS pairing are, what I heard from the Primares totally won me over.

Now I need some advice on the speakers to match the Primares. They must be floorstanders. Any suggestion?

A

Anonymous

well done
emotion-1.gif
you did the big trip to kl then

i dont know the amps but have just heard some totems which were pretty good and also some paradigms which were also good but a bit more punchy

A

Anonymous

one off:well done
emotion-1.gif
you did the big trip to kl then

i dont know the amps but have just heard some totems which were pretty good and also some paradigms which were also good but a bit more punchy

Thanks oneoff. Doubt if Totems and Paradigms are sold here....if they are, I'm too lazy to search out the dealers. I have one day left in KL so I need to get my speakers by tomorrow. By default I'm left to choose between Spendor and PMC since the ATC SCM40s are out of stock.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:PMC GB1i

Will be listening to it tomorrow. How about the FB1i's? And how do the PMCs compare with the Spendor A6? I prefer big airy open soundstage, precise imaging, and able to hear multi-layered music from a recording.

John Duncan

jtein:
JohnDuncan:PMC GB1i

Will be listening to it tomorrow. How about the FB1i's?

More of the same but bigger. The GB1s would be perfectly sufficient for me (though I have a smallish room), and the Primares + GB1s are the best system I've heard short of stupid-money ones. Some might argue for the Spendors, but I think there's be a cigarette paper between them...

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:More of the same but bigger. The GB1s would be perfectly sufficient for me (though I have a smallish room), and the Primares + GB1s are the best system I've heard short of stupid-money ones. Some might argue for the Spendors, but I think there's be a cigarette paper between them...

My listening space is 5.5m by 5.0m. It's not an enclosed room but an open space that adjoins a 2nd living room.

What would be stupid-money ones?

John Duncan

jtein:
JohnDuncan:More of the same but bigger. The GB1s would be perfectly sufficient for me (though I have a smallish room), and the Primares + GB1s are the best system I've heard short of stupid-money ones. Some might argue for the Spendors, but I think there's be a cigarette paper between them...

My listening space is 5.5m by 5.0m. It's not an enclosed room but an open space that adjoins a 2nd living room.

What would be stupid-money ones?

It was about thirty grand I think
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

First of all congratulations on your purchase. That's a beauitiful amp and cd player. I heard them for the first time at the Manchester show where they were demoing some Pro-ac speakers (which i also heard for the first time). I was so impressed I asked the guy what the amp and cd player was. They were a very good match for the pro-acs. I can't remember which Pro-Acs' they were. All I remember was they were about to be released and weren't available at the time. I think the RRP was £1675. They looked a bit like studio 140's. Out of interest whats wrong with the pro-acs?

Oh I havent heard GB1s os the spendors either so I cant offer any comparisons.

A

Anonymous

Thanks barnsleydave. Nothing wrong with the ProAcs.....it's just that I feel that they are not doing justice to the Primares.

caddyhound

Feb 26, 2009
Visit site
Hi,I auditioned the Primare's extensively with PMC GB1i ,FB1i and OB1i (to go with my A30.5 amp).I liked them all enough to buy!The OB1i's were particularly good but too big for my room (and other half) and I bought the FB1i's.My room is about 3.5 m X 6m and the speakers have to live fairly close to the corners but still sound great so no regrets from me.Highly recommended.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts