Just a bit of fun... how good is your hearing?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
newlash09 said:
You are right. I've been thinking why this difference all this while too. And I feel my friends setup had two advantages. One- the yamha's have DSP built in. And two - as per available specs, they only go to 52hz at -10db.

As my present speakers can go down to 28hz at -3db, maybe there is lower bass rumble in the track that my system is showing up, and the Yamaha is not. I have high pass filters on my amp, which I plan to engage at approx 60hz and try playing the track again. This will rule out possibility two.

As regarding possibility one, I will have to wait till I introduce a mini-dsp ddrc 22d into the digital chain for DSP and Dirac room correction to see if it helps.

On a seperate note, I bought a audioquest jitter bug to power the Chromecast audio, to see if a better power supply gives dividends. I know it is a case of good money behind bad money. But I thought I'd experiment :)

I am a big fan of Mini-DSP, I bought one of their first products which became the basis of my son's GCSE DT project a few years back. Frankly, its guys like these who are now carrying the torch for HiFi development, the same old stuff pumped out by the mainstream firms is yesterday's tech. In its own way, similar to the shake up in the car industry brough about by Tesla, or the sea change brought to streaming by Sean Adams and SlimDevices a few years ago. It is a shame Mini-DSP are in HK not the UK, not because I have a problem with HK, but it is indicative of how the UK isn't the place to innovate anymore.

As for experimentation, that is the way to go. The 'scientific method' of experimentation dates back to Sir Isaac Newton and is the basis of all science. The point I keep trying to make is make sure you know what you are testing. It is difficult to do when human perception is involved. In an experiment, it is generally a good idea to change one variable at a time and see what the effect is. Change more than one, and you are never sure what made the difference.

Unfortunately your piece of test equipment, your hearing, gets changed every time you change your system as the biases in your perception come in to play. So did changing that cable make a difference, or did you just perceive a difference? You just can't tell without building your experiment to take this into account.

newlash09 said:

On a seperate note, I bought a audioquest jitter bug to power the Chromecast audio, to see if a better power supply gives dividends. I know it is a case of good money behind bad money. But I thought I'd experiment :)
I’m puzzled about this. Mine came with a usb cable and a “wall wart” charging plug which goes directly into the mains. The point of a jitterbug, I thought, was to improve the signal going to a DAC, typically the Dragonfly series. But the signal reaching a Chromecast DAC is sent wirelessly.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
I would agree fully on DSP and room correction being the cutting edge tech in hifi today. Sadly it has not been embraced widely yet. It is still a conservative hobby I guess. Since I've heard the benefits of DSP now. I will have no qualms about investing in a mini DSP Dirac solution. Should probably get one in summer next year :)

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
You are right :). I just wanted to see if it delivers any improvement in power going into the Chromecast. And if this in return benefits in sound quality if any.

I will be plugging the wallwart + jitterbug + audioquest cinnamon usb cable + chrome cast = improvement or foolishness

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts