Journey of starting a hobby speaker company!

Page 18 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Another Veneered front, working pretty well does anybody like it? Or is it just a talking point? Just need to work out the hole treatment for the mounting screws, the ones on this one were a disaster! Prototypes hey! Anyway for anybody interested in CNC milling machines there are some videos on my website of my machine cutting front panels. This really would not of been possible at the cost a short while ago both in terms of the amazing software (Mach3 and Vectric CUT2D) and the little machine. I must admit it squels like a pig on the odd ocassion!

Quick%20veneered%20front_zpsmgdhc07o.jpg

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
iQ Speakers said:
Another Veneered front, working pretty well does anybody like it? Or is it just a talking point? Just need to work out the hole treatment for the mounting screws, the ones on this one were a disaster! Prototypes hey! Anyway for anybody interested in CNC milling machines there are some videos on my website of my machine cutting front panels. This really would not of been possible at the cost a short while ago both in terms of the amazing software (Mach3 and Vectric CUT2D) and the little machine. I must admit it squels like a pig on the odd ocassion!

Black

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Looks exellent. The wood veneer looks like it may be even better than the black brushed metal but I'll reserve judgement until there's some pictures of the finished article.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Yes indeed been flat out so today the nord custom input buffer board was tested and finalised by my brother and should be on its way back to me for evaluation. and sound testing. The first production amps were made today and serial no 1001 goes to our own CMON on time and as requested, a big thanks to him for his faith. It all started when I uploaded some pics for him of his superb build of Troels Gravesen speakers and home made amp. I sincerley hope he finds these amps more aceptable and enjoyable. I wish all those many who have sent me words of support over the last year a happy Christmas and a prosperous enjoyable new year. And those few knit pickers, those well.... I wish Lady C from (I'm a Celeb..) will come and visit you! Enjoy

Nord%20Buffer%20board%20Rev%20b_zpsmw0ndvxt.png

IMG_1874_zpssm5elhdd.jpg

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
This is my favourite thread on the forums, it's been a real pleasure reading it and following your progress. I really hope it goes as well as it looks like it will!!!

Those mono blocks look really fabulous..... Can't wait to hear what people think.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
They are not as bright as the iPhone camera makes out in very low light levels at 9 last night. Photography has been one of those skills though not demonstrated here! One of the biggest skills is balancing lead time of components against cash flow against orders or more importantly possible orders. Well actually it's been the CNC milling well actually it's been everything all at once that's the hardest to cope with. If you can imagine 2 problems to cope with and then X10 and still remain delivering a product. Having said that it's been immense fun! And rewarding. Also met some really nice interesting people on the way.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
[class="Apple-style-span"]Serial no.1001 are mine I will have them up and running Friday and will report back on them. They certainly look good in the photos[/class]

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Wishing you all a happy Christmas more importanltly a good happy and healthy new year.

Here are the prototype Input buffer boards complete with Sparkos Labs discrete Op Amps and glowing Hypex discrete Voltage regulators for my Hypex NCore NC500 amplifiers (simular sound to the NC400) in action. They sound amazing the standard version though more powerfull and acurate lacked the sonic qualities of the Abrahamsen, this upgrade addresses that.

IMG_1904_zpsp77kmr5x.jpg

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
So yesterday after being pressed into action to build orders for Hypex Amps, I get a call from two Polish guys from Leeds who visited in July, British GP day and bought a Abrahamsen V2.0UP the other guy found a second hand one on ebay!

Today they arrived after selling both there brand new Tannoy 6.2 speakers, one bought their Ebay used IPL S4 speakers with them the other had bought some older IPL S2 speakers! They came with the intention of more power, ie either 2 V4.0UP or a Hypex amp. They also bought a MF M6PRE I think around £2K though bought second hand its a current model. The decision on on which power amp to buy was put on hold to try and work out which would be better. But one left with a V3.0UP pre amp £699 to replace the MF6 Pre. I was gob smacked and pleasantly suprised. Its a funny old hobby. They were very direct and gave great feedback as to each options sound.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Turning into a bit of a week, production of the Hypex amps going well. Our newly designed input PCB's arrive tomorrow, We have a new better CNC machine arriving Friday, and today finished (almost) our first customer order of the veneered fronts a triumph for me in different materials finished to a high standard and looking very good. It will hopfully become a bit of a USP and signiture. Sorry for the DIY picture, better ones to follow for the website, the customer was very pleased when I sent him some photos earlier. These are in Chestnut Burl.

IMG_1933_zpskwbczkcw.jpg

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts