Jazzland

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I think I'll go into exploration of jazz frontiers.

Junk Magic is a stunner from start to finish, and one that challenges the notions and linguistic senses as to what jazz "is," as well as what it is not.

Junk Magic

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy

Latin jazz fusion and a guilty pleasure!

Worth checking out the other fusion group he was a member of with Chick Corea - Return to forever. The anthology album on Spotify has some interesting stuff for sure!

If you want to go full blown fusion, you may not make it back out; Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
ChrisIRL said:
Al Di Meola - Elegant Gypsy

0000276250.jpg

Latin jazz fusion and a guilty pleasure!

Worth checking out the other fusion group he was a member of with Chick Corea - Return to forever. The anthology album on Spotify has some interesting stuff for sure!

If you want to go full blown fusion, you may not make it back out; Mahavishnu Orchestra - Birds of Fire.

ADM is a guitar god.
worthy.gif
Lenny White and Steve Gadd on drums, Jan Hammer or Barry Miles on keyboards, Anthony Jackson on bass.

This is a very electric album indeed. Thx for sharing Chris.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
This two-LP set consists of a pair of unrelated Elvin Jones Blue Note sessions that had not been previously released. The earlier date features Jones in a septet with the tenors of George Coleman and Joe Farrell along with trumpeter Lee Morgan, while the 1973 album has an 11-piece group that includes a large rhythm section, baritonist Pepper Adams and the tenors of Steve Grossman and Frank Foster. The challenging modal material (an extension of John Coltrane's music of the early '60s) and diverse soloists make this two-fer into a rather stimulating listen.

Inner Space

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I think some female vocals are in order.

The Polydor/Verve recording from October of 1972 is indeed this 1973 release, featuring the same band with Chick Corea, Stanley Clarke, Airto Moreira, Joe Farrell, and Flora Purim. There's no need splitting hairs, as both are five-star albums, showcasing many of the keyboardist's long enduring, immediately recognizable, and highly melodic compositions. Farrell's happy flute, Purim's in-the-clouds wordless vocals, the electrifying percussion of Airto, and Clarke's deft and loping electric bass guitar lines are all wrapped in a stew of Brazilian samba and Corea's Fender Rhodes electric piano. From a historical perspective, this is the most important effort of Corea's career, quite different than his prior previous progressive or improvising efforts, and the pivotal beginning of his career as the most popular contemporary jazz keyboardist in history.

Joaquín Rodrigo's Concierto de Aranjuez, for jazz samba *dance4* Spain

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Some say his best jazz album listenable while sitting down. *biggrin*

The startling thing about My Goal's Beyond is that it points the way toward two directions McLaughlin would take in the future -- exploring Indian music and the acoustic guitar -- and this while he was in the thick of the burgeoning electronic jazz-rock movement.

The first half is a John McLaughlin acoustic guitar tour de force, where he thwacks away with his energetic, single-minded intensity on three jazz standards and five originals (including one genuine self-penned classic, "Follow Your Heart") and adds a few percussion effects via overdubbing. The second half is devoted to a pair of marvelously intricate fusions of Indian rhythms and drones called "Peace One" and "Peace Two," with jazz flights from flutist/soprano saxophonist Dave Liebman, a simpatico encounter with future Mahavishnu cohorts Billy Cobham on drums and Jerry Goodman on violin, Charlie Haden on bass, and Airto Moreira blending his sounds seamlessly with Badal Roy's tambura and tabla. Throughout, McLaughlin's acoustic lines faultlessly straddle the line between the subcontinent and jazz, and the ethereal results still hold up beautifully.

Peace One

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I've discovered some great music here, guys!

I've got another quiet suggestion; take that litterally. Quiet (Verve, 1996) is a rather atypical John Scofield album: no nervous, electric, cross-over, but (yes indeed) quietly flowing, melodic jazz. He's in great company here, with a.o. Wayne Shorter on tenor sax and my hero, Steve Swallow, on electric bass. Late night stuff again...

Spotify

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
DocG said:
I've discovered some great music here, guys!

I've got another quiet suggestion; take that litterally. Quiet (Verve, 1996) is a rather atypical John Scofield album: no nervous, electric, cross-over, but (yes indeed) quietly flowing, melodic jazz. He's in great company here, with a.o. Wayne Shorter on tenor sax and my hero, Steve Swallow, on electric bass. Late night stuff again...

Spotify

Will give this one a spin right after Mclaughlin. *ok* Thank you for sharing.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Here is one of my all time favorites.

Lee Ritenour - Wes Bound.

https://open.spotify.com/album/2C1BGDEf4F1LoLVaS2UScY

4b7e4751-57e5-4800-a6d7-0e9cd1c58291_zps7623b67f.jpg

Lee is one of the best all round Jazz guitarists in the world at the moment ( imo ) .

Some info about him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Ritenour

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
nopiano said:
You mentioned this the other day, and I will look that out.

I seem to recall a 'greatest jazz'-type double cd (might have been Virgin label)I bought my wife's uncle a few years ago - but I almost kept it for myself. Probably as attractive to a jazz lover as a Classic FM best tunes cd is to the classical lover, however!

Which suggestion are you referring to?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
nopiano said:

I seem to recall a 'greatest jazz'-type double cd (might have been Virgin label)I bought my wife's uncle a few years ago - but I almost kept it for myself. Probably as attractive to a jazz lover as a Classic FM best tunes cd is to the classical lover, however!

I don't think even jazz snobs would mind this selection.

51Bdw1lrEwL.jpg

CnoEvil said:
Bluenote top 25

CnoEvil said:
nopiano said:

Sorry Cno, the image didn't copy. The Bluenote top 25.

Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
nopiano said:

No, I'm sure you are right! Oh, and welcome back from me too, Vlad!

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Vladimir said:
CnoEvil said:
nopiano said:

No, I'm sure you are right! Oh, and welcome back from me too, Vlad!

Thank you! *drinks*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
Another one of my favorites,

Mark Isham - Blue Sun. It is so cool !

https://open.spotify.com/track/2PPvPuiIamyNpc8HuJ23W4

It's a 90's effigy that captures the ambient and soul of 50's and 60's jazz. A brilliant tribute to musicians like Miles.

There's one live gig: The blue sun concert: LIVE At MONTREAL Jazz Festival 1996, though I much prefer the studio version. Barcelona, Trapeze and In More Than Love are my fav picks.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Another one of my favorites,

Mark Isham - Blue Sun. It is so cool !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOa6bIcYWyc&list=PLbsZjuv7uxtGiSSPEY7cwqO74jOnvUcpz

https://open.spotify.com/album/5d3zb1ymu0cixEHUfKqE3L

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts