Jazz offer.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
GeoffreyW said:
Buy it, Al, buy it, it's only a fiver, any you'll be able to satisfy your curiosity. I have it on Columbia Legacy edition cd, but haven't done a comparison - yet.

And if you don't like it, it's only cost a fiver, and you don't have to buy any more? But I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Might just do that Geoffrey even if it's just to say I got a new 180g album for less than a fiver. Something I have never had in my collection. ;-)

NB. They still had a copy in stock so I bought it, not disappointed, the quality really is quite good. As for the music, well what can you say, there's a reason it's the best-selling jazz album of all time.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
My 'Kind of Blue' CD is the standard 'vanilla' recording as far as I know. When I bought it years ago - to replace a vinyl copy - there were a whole raft of versions but I opted for the 'bog standard' one from Amazon for less than a tenner IIRC.

I tend - on the whole - to steer well clear of re-masters or any other kind of 'special' versions.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Al ears said:
expat_mike said:
Someone is trying to sell a secondhand copy of 'Kind of Blue' for 96 euros, when the price of the new copies is only 16.82 euros.

I think they may be optimistic.

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00XDCB9N4

It may be a mint edition of first pressing, who knows. Some people treasure such items even though some later remasters are sonically superior.

It's often a snob thing. :)

The Columbia '6 eye' stereo and mono, particularly the stereo, pressings of 'Kind Of Blue' are sought after by collectors because they are sonically superior to any reissues or cd transfers. Similarly, the UK Fontana mono pressing is excellent too and sought-after by some collectors. Why would 'some people' not treasure owning an original artefact of great historical importance? This is the stuff that record collectors dream of and I refute totally any idea of snob value; if you substitute the latter with 'pride of ownership' you'd be closer to the mark. There are those of us who are so bitten by this dreadful addiction that we would happily sell our grandma's wooden leg, not to mention her house, in order to acquire an original Blue Note first pressing of 'Hank Mobley' , perhaps the rarest and most sought-after jazz record. Nothing, but nothing, would beat the thrill of stumbling across even a battered copy of this record in amongst a load of dross whilst crate-digging: some would be breathless with excitement; others would shrug and say, 'So what?' Vive la difference.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
There you go, then, Al, and I hope you are a bit impressed with the quality available on some modern vinyl? I recently bought a 180g Ben Webster, The Warm Moods, which also sounds really terrific, too, but cost considerably more than £5. Trouble is, high price is no guarantee of a quality recording.

I did a quick comparison between the vinyl and cd versions, and the difference was minimal, the breathy sound of the trumpet lipping at the beginning of So What being there on both discs. I'm happy.

Might be the start of a slippery vinyl slope, perhaps? Whatever, just enjoy your music.

K

keeper of the quays

Going to buy this tomorrow, I have quite a lot of the classical magazine pls and they are very well recorded and some of the best orchestras and record labels I also got a couple of jazz magazine records frim Italy and the recordings are superlative and one of those Italian lps I use as a reference record....

K

keeper of the quays

Cool comparison..i use a 640 p too...fine phono stage...i use dl 110..

GeoffreyW said:
There you go, then, Al, and I hope you are a bit impressed with the quality available on some modern vinyl? I recently bought a 180g Ben Webster, The Warm Moods, which also sounds really terrific, too, but cost considerably more than £5. Trouble is, high price is no guarantee of a quality recording.

I did a quick comparison between the vinyl and cd versions, and the difference was minimal, the breathy sound of the trumpet lipping at the beginning of So What being there on both discs. I'm happy.

Might be the start of a slippery vinyl slope, perhaps? Whatever, just enjoy your music.

There is no slope Geoffrey I have been collecting vinyl since the seventies. :)

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I meant buying 180g recordings, Al, but as you've been collecting for so long (almost as long as me, but I bet you've got far more) you already have loads of 180g records? I must have misunderstood your earlier post as saying that you haven't any.

GeoffreyW said:
I meant buying 180g recordings, Al, but as you've been collecting for so long (almost as long as me, but I bet you've got far more) you already have loads of 180g records? I must have misunderstood your earlier post as saying that you haven't any.

Yes, what I meant was it's the cheapest 180g album I have ever bought.

Got plenty of others and 200g.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I thought I'd get myself a copy of this after reading the reports on the pressing. Popped into a newsagent and a Co-op mini-supermarket, but neither had it. Apparently newsagents don't get the 'part-works' (as in 'builds week-by-week in to a ...', I suppose). Where did those of you who bought this get it from?

thescarletpronster said:
I thought I'd get myself a copy of this after reading the reports on the pressing. Popped into a newsagent and a Co-op mini-supermarket, but neither had it. Apparently newsagents don't get the 'part-works' (as in 'builds week-by-week in to a ...', I suppose). Where did those of you who bought this get it from?

Got mine in local newsagents, the last one. Cannot say I have seen them in supermarkets but might be worth a look.

Feral

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
thescarletpronster said:

If you go to their website you can check for stockist near your postcode who have placed orders and other outlets who could order in copies if you ask.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, everyone. I'll try again, elsewhere. And this:
Feral said:
If you go to their website you can check for stockist near your postcode who have placed orders
tells me of a newsagents not far from me who is listed as a stockist. I'll try them this afternoon.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Judging by the responses to this pressing on this and other forums, DiAgostini must have shifted some vinyl? Wonder how much demand is going to tail off later? I also notice that digital online editions are available, which seems a bit of an oxymoron, perhaps.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
The disc label colour is lime green on the website, too, but the label of my disc is a darkish red, with 6 "eyes", three on each side, and is, apparently, close to the original, but I don't have one of those aginst which to compare it. And the pressing is good.

Still haven't seen a B2B comparison against an SACD, though.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Went to two local stockist, not a sign of the record though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts