spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Seen this advertised on the TV. May consider ordering these.

Looks interesting, especially a) at the initial offer and b) if you're the one person in the world without KOB in at least two formats ;-).

However, as with all partworks, from Build Your Own Deathstar to Every Grain of Sand on the Planet – The Complete Collection, the price soon escalates, but if these are halfway decent pressings and they're discs you want, I guess £15 a pop isn't outrageous.

Could have a bit of an impact on the 'audiophile' vinyl sellers, though: I note that on one forum heavily dependent on its secondhand vinyl business, notes of caution are already being sounded on the possible poor quality of such discs.

But then they would say that, wouldn't they? ;-)

spiny norman

Jan 14, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
We have both of thos albums in store priced around a tenner.

Not surprised, but then the appeal of these partworks is I guess a) the convenience of having the product delivered to a local newsagent or wherever, and b) the magazine provided with each release, if it's any good.

But then maybe we're both missing the point, and the analogue revival is about to exend to printed words, too, despite the publishing industry's best efforts at destroying itself. How quaintly old-fashioned!

spiny norman said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

Not surprised, but then the appeal of these partworks is I guess a) the convenience of having the product delivered to a local newsagent or wherever, and b) the magazine provided with each release, if it's any good.

But then maybe we're both missing the point, and the analogue revival is about to exend to printed words, too, despite the publishing industry's best efforts at destroying itself. How quaintly old-fashioned!

Very valid points and good spot by PP. I must say the appeal is probably going to be the quality of the printed work, I might have been interested myself but already own the first three albums.

It would be very interesting to know how sales go.

Jim_W

Sep 25, 2015
Visit site
Interesting to link the, ahem, 'vinyl revival' with jazz from the classic period for want of a better pigeon-hole. However, It looks as if each issue will focus solely on the chosen artist and the classic album, albeit with an-depth appreciation and a helpful discography. Problem is, jazz fans will have most, if not all, of the records and will know much of the information and serious jazz collectors will want first pressings. I think it's a nice idea and they must have researced its viability, but I just don't see people paying the asking price beyond the first issue. New copy of 'Blue Train' for £4.99? Fair enough, but decent original second-hand copies of 'Lady In Satin', 'Now's The Time' and 'Time Out' can be had fairly cheaply...under a tenner if you know where to look; you can then google the info.

Dunno...it'll be nicely packaged and the records are indeed er 'classics'. What would be more appealing, to me anyway, is a focus on modern jazz or even the history of jazz with sampler records. Probably not a very good idea if you're trying to make money though. Oh well.

thescarletpronster

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Should be okay as it's on 180g.

In my experience, putting grooves on fat plastic has little to do with sound quality. If the mastering ain't great or the pressing is noisy, even a slab an inch thick will sound terrible. And I've had a large percentage of new records over the last few years, most pressed on 180g+, which have been substandard in one or both of those aspects.

Conversely, I have a lot of old 120g records which sound fantastic.

Hope this works out for you. I have to say it's bringing back uncomfortable memories of the Britannia Record Club [shudder], which I joined when I was 14 and then left as soon as I possibly could.

Milo_Myage

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Popped out on my lunchbreak and picked up the first issue, it's an album i've been meaning to pick up forever and for a fiver its worth it's worth a shot.

Listening to it now and while i'm far from familiar with Kind of Blue the pressing sounds pretty good to me. Anyone interested in the print aspect will be dissappointed, at only 4 pages it's a stretch to call it a magazine really just a booklet that puts the album in context nothing too in depth.

Overall it's worth a fiver, might pick up the Coltrane one next for a tenner but once its up to full price it'll be cheaper just to buy the records elsewhere.

Milo_Myage said:
Popped out on my lunchbreak and picked up the first issue, it's an album i've been meaning to pick up forever and for a fiver its worth it's worth a shot.

Listening to it now and while i'm far from familiar with Kind of Blue the pressing sounds pretty good to me. Anyone interested in the print aspect will be dissappointed, at only 4 pages it's a stretch to call it a magazine really just a booklet that puts the album in context nothing too in depth.

Overall it's worth a fiver, might pick up the Coltrane one next for a tenner but once its up to full price it'll be cheaper just to buy the records elsewhere.

So what is full price going to be? You'll be hard pressed to pick up 180gmail vinyl album for under £17.

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
spiny norman said:
David@FrankHarvey said:

Not surprised, but then the appeal of these partworks is I guess a) the convenience of having the product delivered to a local newsagent or wherever, and

Surely David will personally deliver to all WHF Forum members at no extra cost ???
wink_smile.gif

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Al ears said:
So what is full price going to be? You'll be hard pressed to pick up 180gmail vinyl album for under £17.

£14.99 I think.

David@FrankHarvey said:
Al ears said:
From £9-14, depending on the issue.

A Kind Of Blue is from £10-50, depending on the issue - all 180gram.

Thanks David,

In that case, assuming the pressing is halfway decent, they are not a bad deal if you're after theses particularly albums.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Al ears said:
Thanks David,

In that case, assuming the pressing is halfway decent, they are not a bad deal if you're after theses particularly albums.
Our pressings for A Kind Of Blue (our of stovk of Blue Train) are DOL (which I'm guessing these ones will be), Sony's Legacy Vinyl, and the top stuff being Mobile Fidelity.

David@FrankHarvey said:
Al ears said:
Thanks David,

Our pressings for A Kind Of Blue (our of stovk of Blue Train) are DOL (which I'm guessing these ones will be), Sony's Legacy Vinyl, and the top stuff being Mobile Fidelity.

I have the Mobile Fidelity pressing, just wondered if anyone knows for sure which pressing these magazine issues are.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Al ears said:
I have the Mobile Fidelity pressing, just wondered if anyone knows for sure which pressing these magazine issues are.

Milo_Myage bought the first one, so he should know.

expat_mike said:
Someone is trying to sell a secondhand copy of 'Kind of Blue' for 96 euros, when the price of the new copies is only 16.82 euros.

I think they may be optimistic.

http://www.amazon.fr/gp/product/B00XDCB9N4

It may be a mint edition of first pressing, who knows. Some people treasure such items even though some later remasters are sonically superior.

It's often a snob thing. :)

GeoffreyW said:
I bought a copy a few days ago, and can confirm it is a high quality pressing, and has had many very favourable reviews on another forum, even bettering cd, according to some. The labels look the same as the originals.

Apparently, there's about 80 albums lined up, with Coltrane's Blue Train out Feb.3, £9.99, then the rest are £14.99, and some free gifts for subscribers.

If you're tempted to listen to KOB, then go for this copy, you'll not regret it, and for only a fiver it's the proverbial no-brainer. I'll likely but Blue train, and cherry pick some others, if I can.

Was sorely tempted today but thought better of it as already have album on SACD.

However, if it's still in the newsagents tomorrow ..............

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
I bought a copy a few days ago, and can confirm it is a high quality pressing, and has had many very favourable reviews on another forum, even bettering cd, according to some. The labels look the same as the originals.

Apparently, there's about 80 albums lined up, with Coltrane's Blue Train out Feb.3, £9.99, then the rest are £14.99, and some free gifts for subscribers.

If you're tempted to listen to KOB, then go for this copy, you'll not regret it, and for only a fiver it's the proverbial no-brainer. I'll likely buy Blue Train, and cherry pick some others, if I can. And I agree, if this quality is maintained, where else can you buy HQ, 180g virgin vinyl for these prices? Most are around three times as much.

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
Buy it, Al, buy it, it's only a fiver, any you'll be able to satisfy your curiosity. I have it on Columbia Legacy edition cd, but haven't done a comparison - yet.

And if you don't like it, it's only cost a fiver, and you don't have to buy any more? But I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts