iTunes throught a CA DacMagic connected with USB.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Assuming I plugged a Cambridge Audio DacMagic DAC into my laptop/notebook with USB and then into a spare input on the Solo-Mini, how exactly would my iTunes 'know' that I wished to route the sound via the DacMagic and not via the soundcard to the computers own speakers?

(I don't have optical output on this notebook so USB would appear to be the best option.)

Thanks.

A

Anonymous

PJPro is better placed to comment on Windows setups, but it will appear as an option inside iTunes / Windows as another sound card. I think you need to tell it to use it, but it is pretty straight forward

Have a look at the manualÿhttp://www.cambridgeaudio.com/assets/documents/AP239051DacMagicUserManual01English.pdfÿ

ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the instructions link. It explained the Windows XP/hardware side of things so hopefully that is all that is needed.

Hopefully once it is plugged in and becomes the default sound device then iTunes will accept it and automatically use it.

I have also been looking at the Fubar II USB DAC (Only £105 and 48khz/16bit but probably good enough for what I need). It needs no drivers or software and automatically becomes the default sound device when powered on. I was hoping the DacMagic would operate the same way.

I want not just me but the family to be able to use it with ease. Switch on, select the source on the Solo-Mini and then 'go' with iTunes or BBC 'listen again' or Youtube or whatever. They are all OK with that stuff but I don't want them (or me) getting snagged down with XP menus and iTunes preferences every single time they want to play that stuff through the hifi.

A

Anonymous

Dont know if this is any help but I use the Fubar on my pc with i tunes and it is literally plug it in and windows detects it so no messing about with menus or drivers etc.

Have all my tracks in lossless and into active speakers which sounds great

Bought mine from Russ Andrews for £105 delivered includes power pack and all leads.

Havnt heard the dac magic but for the money I would recomend the Fubar.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Thanks DIY. That is my gut feeling (Fubar II USB DAC) as it is 'good enough' for what we need now and is plug 'n play.

However the DacMagic will 'future proof' things a bit more with it's 192khz/24bit capability should I decide to start shedding CDs in ernest.

I am getting increasingly unhappy with CD in comparison to Vinyl and in the next couple of years can envisage shedding them forever (after ripping the tracks I want to keep) and having a system based on Vinyl, FM radio and computer based music sources. The first step will be a DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts