iTunes streaming

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
Hi There, I can’t decide what’s best to stream iTunes.

I have a Airport express(old and new versions), 2016 MacBook Pro, and a Mac mini.

I would like to use iPad/iPhone to select music, the Airport express does drop out now and then, which is a pain.

The Mac mini, I would need a monitor purchased. Or I could use the MacBook Pro, but can I use the iPad to select music?

Which connections would be best USB or Toslink?

I have a Rega DAC/ Brio R and KEF LS50.

Just need some user experiences or recommendations?

Thanks

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Do Apple still do the remote app? I’ve used a Mac mini in the past and controlled iTunes via the remote app on my phone. There was also an app (can’t remember the name) that let you see and control the Mac desktop on your phone so you didn’t need a monitor, it was a bit clunky but worked well enough to apply updates etc. Or maybe you could run an Ethernet cable to the AEX, that would likely cure the drop outs.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You can use the Remote app from an iPhone or iPad to control iTunes on your Mac. Why not use the Mac Mini headless (ie with no monitor), like I did for ages? On the rare occasions you need to actually see what it's displaying, screen share it from your laptop: all Macs can screen share other Macs on the same network.

The only things the Remote app doesn't support is Apple Music and Radio, so you can't use Remote to play anything which isn't in your library.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
On the rare occasions you need to actually see what it's displaying, screen share it from your laptop: all Macs can screen share other Macs on the same network.

Completely forgot about that.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Woodchippie said:
The Screen sharing is Ok, is a little bit laggy. I’ve decided to use my MacBook.

Varies greatly depending on the speed of your wifi, assuming everything you've got is wifi'd and not cabled. You can speed it up by making sure 'View>Adaptive Quality' is selected rather than 'View>Full Quality'

Woodchippie

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
After a weekend of listening to various options. I am going to use my Mac Mini to stream ITunes. I have my synology Nas with ripped cds and the the synology app is fairly good. It all sounds good to me. The Kef LS50s sound excellent with the Rega Brio-r , not sure why some people would want more bass. I’ve only had them for about a month, and there possibly not run in yet.

No other subscription services needed! ATM lol.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Glad it's working for you.

I used iTunes on a Mac Mini to stream my ripped CDs from a NAS for over five years. I was never dissatisfied with iTunes as a music server; I realise some people thoroughly despise iTunes but I can only report based on my own experience. It always worked for me.

I only stopped using the Mac Mini as a primary music source when I bought active speakers with a built-in DAC, because around the same time, I blagged a second-gen Airport Express for £25 and connected it optically to the speakers. Since then it's been far too easy to just use my iPhone to stream everything from the NAS and send it to the speakers via AirPlay. The Mac Mini is only used now for ripping.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts