iTunes ! File Could Not be found

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I don't use the iTunes that often to sync my iPods but quit often it appears to loose its links with the source Files, this is indicated with a ! in front of the track in iTunes, It looses a lot when it does it. Is there any way to force the re-connection on Mass if I do another add Folder to library it duplicates everything with one good and one still no connection so I have to delete everything and re-sink from scratch, it is really bugging me.

A

Anonymous

Is your music stored on a NAS drive? If so, it could be that you're opening iTunes before your computer reestablishes its connection to the network disc that your music's stored on. Simply close iTunes, make sure the NAS is connected, then re-open iTunes - it should then find them as normal.

If you're not using a NAS, or other external hard drive, I'm a bit stumped.

John Duncan

Yeah, add folder to library only makes a link to the music, it doesn't copy to your 'iTunes Music Folder Location', so if the libraries you add are on an external hard drive (or the drive letetr of that drive changes or something like that) you could have issues. There's an option in Preferences/Advanced to 'Copy file to iTunes Music folder when adding to library' when you add a folder to the library (as opposed to ripping CDs, which end up directly in the iTunes Music Folder), or you can do so after the fact by using Consolidate Library.

idc

If any file that links from itunes to the music file is changed then the link is lost. So if any thing for example; My Computer - My Music - itunes - Pink Floyd - Atom Heart Mother - Summer '68 is changed in anyway then itunes cannot find it. Something is going on to break that link.

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
It is on an external USB drive as my work laptop is pitiful, but it is definitely powered before opening dTunes, Have recently ticked the copy to library option which is maybe why I have only lost half of my stuff this time, but interestingly some Album folders have only lost some of the tracks, I have not modded any of the music since I last synced, Looks like I'm going to have to Delete all the re sync, this time all of it to library, real pain cos that will take an age.

idc

Would consolidate library help? I have not used it, but my understanding is that by doing so itunes looks for all music on your computer (and I assume hard drive).

John Duncan

pwiles1968:I will give that a go, after all what is the worst that can happen.

Yup consolidate library will simply copy all music into the same place - which is whatever you have your iTunes Music Folder location set to.

idc

JohnDuncan:pwiles1968:I will give that a go, after all what is the worst that can happen. Yup consolidate library will simply copy all music into the same place - which is whatever you have your iTunes Music Folder location set to.

I am assuming that by doing that itunes will now know the link to the files and re-establish it.

John Duncan

idc:
JohnDuncan:pwiles1968:I will give that a go, after all what is the worst that can happen. Yup consolidate library will simply copy all music into the same place - which is whatever you have your iTunes Music Folder location set to.

I am assuming that by doing that itunes will now know the link to the files and re-establish it.

It depends on where iTunes thinks the files are, and whether the files are actually there. Using an external hard drive, it depends on whether you have a mapped drive or the drive makes itself known to the PC by using a name instead. For example, you attach your USB drive and then map it as "e:" or something, or it attaches itself in Explorer as "My Book", as my external drive does. Take a look in your iTunes Library.XML file and see where it thinks files are stored...

I'd try to give some examples if I didn't have three kids pawing me and screaming at me and each other....back shortly.

idc

I understand that JD. I had all of my itunes music files on 'My Book' and then moved some onto the laptop in My Music - itunes when I was trying to solve the crackling problem. If I plug in the My Book I need to tell itunes to look there instead for music.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I have all my iTunes files on an external drive. To use a different drive to your internal HD, go to iTunes Preferences/Advanced and set the location in the dialogue box. To make sure additional items are also 'seen', check the box 'Copy files to iTunes Media file when adding to library'.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts