Apple lossless to Android

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I have just recieved my new HTC One and put some music onto it forgetting that about half of my itunes library is apple lossless files. Could anybody recommend a converter which I could use to convert the files and to make them smaller - down to something like a 256kbps itunes file would be good.

I have looked at apps from the play store which will play apple lossless on the phone, but I'd rather do the conversion first and then have a seperate folder of tracks for the HTC sync manager to sync from.

Thanks for your help

Edit -- Just realised I could probably do this on itunes itself, is there an easy way to export them all out of itunes at the same time? Or at least keep them all in a single playlist on itunes without having them appear with everything else?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Hello Roym90, you could do it in iTunes but tbh iTunes isn't exactly the slickest way to do it. For a start it's not easy to tell iTunes to put the converted MP3s in a different location to your main library, though it can be done. Then for an extra degree of 'faff' it adds the converted files to your library, whether you want it to or not. I put a tutorial in the PC Audio section about using iTunes for bulk transcoding which I had hoped the mods might have made into a 'sticky' because this topic seems to be asked regularly, but they didn't. It is there if you search for it.

However tbh I wouldn't use iTunes for the reasons I have already explained.You didn't say if your computer is a PC or a Mac, but if it's a Mac I can highly recommend a piece of software called XLD, which is free to download. It will do all you need much slicker than iTunes.

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks MajorFubar,

I am on a Mac so I'll have a look at the XLD software. I'd been trying to think of ways using itunes but everything seems to end up with duplicate files everywhere!

minusnine

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I've been after a similar solution, but with XLD couldn't find a way to tell it to put the files in artist/album folders. If this is important to you, there are some applescripts available as 'donationware' from dougscripts.com that run in itunes. The one I'm using is ConvExp to Folder Album, and so far it's doing its job well. It uses itunes' conversion settings to convert the files, then exports them to a folder of your choice and removes the newly converted file from itunes (leaving the original file in place, obviously).

It baulked at doing my whole library (5000+ tracks) in one go, but I'm processing them in batches and it's going OK. You may or may not want the automatic filing option, but this was what was missing for me from itunes and XLD, so this script solves my problem and may be useful to you. I've no connection to dougscripts.com, I found the site through a thread on the apple support forums.

Andy

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what you mean about XLD not putting your music into artists folders: when I used it, it did. But if your extra add-on works for you, then that's great.

minusnine

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Heh, well there you go. I couldn't get XLD to do that for some reason. I guess the solution I found is there for anyone who shares my ability with software!

roym90

Apr 5, 2011
Visit site
I gave XLD a go last night and it worked well, but everything went wrong when I tried syncing using the HTC Sync Manager, in the end I ended up losing itunes files and had to restore itunes from time machine!

Instead I am using Rocket Player to play the apple lossless files and iSyncr to transfer my itunes. Means some tracks will use much more space but I can just make a playlist on itunes and then select the playlist on iSyncr.

Thanks for the suggestions though

Chr1s_J

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I use EZ CD Audio Convertor.

http://www.poikosoft.com/

I can't remember what it cost me, but, it can't have been much and it's been well worth it in my opinion. It's quick, painless and offers no end of file type and compression options.

I use it to convert ALAC files to 320kbps MP3's for playback on my HTC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts