Question It had to happen..... the dreaded cable question.

i've had Audioquest FLX speaker cable for a good few years now. Probably as long as i've had the Focal speakers. five+ years. and i have zero problem with it at all.
its just got to that time when i'm possibly overthinking things, and wondering if i should try another cable. namely the QED XT40i with QED Airloc metal banana plugs. for a 2.5m pair, it would be around £100. or i could just buy 5m of cable for £55 and use my own plugs.
this would most likely be the last time i bought cables (for the speakers at least) i already have qed interconnects for the amp and cd.
can't make my mind up whether its gonna be worth it or not. or should i leave well alone?

its just got to that time when i'm possibly overthinking things, and wondering if i should try another cable.

this would most likely be the last time i bought cables (for the speakers at least)

can't make my mind up whether its gonna be worth it or not. or should i leave well alone?

or also consider basic 500 strand speaker cables. Fwiw, these are the most expensive speaker cables we use (@ £3.42/m) which we've regularly used with all manners of amplification and loudspeakers over fourteen years. 500 strand speaker cables are simple, effective, they rock (currently in use between a Parasound Halo JC5 and Acoustic Energy AE509's) and are worth every penny and then some.

D

Deleted member 188516

i've had Audioquest FLX speaker cable for a good few years now. Probably as long as i've had the Focal speakers. five+ years. and i have zero problem with it at all.
its just got to that time when i'm possibly overthinking things, and wondering if i should try another cable. namely the QED XT40i with QED Airloc metal banana plugs. for a 2.5m pair, it would be around £100. or i could just buy 5m of cable for £55 and use my own plugs.
this would most likely be the last time i bought cables (for the speakers at least) i already have qed interconnects for the amp and cd.

the ready made qed cable uses plugs that are "cold welded" (i think) so i'm guessing not the same as attaching the plugs yourself.

is the qed cable one of the silver coated products ?

D

Deleted member 108165

I bought a 3m pair of Airloc terminated QED XT40's for the new amp a few months ago as I liked the jacket colour, nothing more. I swapped out some Van Damme Blue 2.5mm... zero difference in sound!

I guess some on here would say that my system isn't revealing enough for me to notice a difference :)

My suggestion would be to keep what you have and spend the money on more music instead.

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears
D

Deleted member 188516

I bought a 3m pair of Airloc terminated QED XT40's for the new amp a few months ago as I liked the jacket colour, nothing more. I swapped out some Van Damme Blue 2.5mm... zero difference in sound!

I guess some on here would say that my system isn't revealing enough for me to notice a difference :)

My suggestion would be to keep what you have and spend the money on more music instead.

your system sure is "revealing enough" but the cables compared are maybe too similar in design, hence, basically the same thing.

Realising I just had a cable itch I needed to scratch, I opted for the “free” swap of my QED interconnects from the CD player and put in an Atlas cable I’d had for years. I’d used it with Arcam and Leema amps, and various CD players, Arcam, Moon, Rega, and had pretty much forgot I had it. So I’ve stuck it between the 14’s for a bit of a change.
To be fair, my audio education has come a long way since I first bought it, so I have a better understanding of what I’m listening for. So, this should keep me satisfied for a while.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 188516

Realising I just had a cable bug I needed to scratch, I opted for the “free” swap of my QED interconnects from the CD player and put in an Atlas cable I’d had for years. I’d used it with Arcam and Leema amps, and various CD players, Arcam, Moon, Rega, and had pretty much forgot I had it. So I’ve stuck it between the 14’s for a bit of a change.
To be fair, my audio education has come a long way since I first bought it, so I have a better understanding of what I’m listening for. So, this should keep me satisfied for a while.

may i ask did you hear any difference ?!

Subtle differences. But non the less, yes.
a darker background, gives a sense of everything being that little cleaner with a deeper depth to the soundstage. Surprised me as the last time I used them I was probably in a different house, with a completely different setup.

D

Deleted member 188516

a darker background, gives a sense of everything being that little cleaner with a deeper depth to the soundstage. Surprised me as the last time I used them I was probably in a different house, with a completely different setup.

cables can (which i have found) give subtle differences that can push a system towards a sound you prefer more.

i've put on some heavy music, to give it a workout. Slipknot is quite difficult as it has a lot of background percussion, a lot of which tends to get lost.
and Soulfly, heavy again, which has percussion, world music, effects etc that again can get lost, but both have sounded fab.

The trick will be to swap back in a few days and see if you still perceive them as different.

I got poor effects with QED cables, went to chord and liked those and then have a loom of Audioquest cables which I love. Meant I could sell ridiculous chord company cables for stupid prices. Crazy to buy them.

at least you had a go with other cables, and give yourself a chance to see if there were any differences/preferences.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts