It arrived and then it died...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Macspur said:
plastic penguin said:
matthewpiano said:
My experience is that, in general the more expensive CD players aren't worth the price difference. At the more expensive end (to me), I've owned Arcam CD17, Roksan Kandy K2, Rega Apollo, Rega Apollo-R, and Denon DCD1500ae. The Denon was certainly the best of those and the only one I would buy again. The rest, I wouldn't swap the Denon DCD720ae for. At it's widely available price of £170 it combines a reliable transport, good overall build, and excellent sound. The only slight negative is that the transport can be slightly noisy if the CD player is on a glass shelf, but a rubber mat to isolate it sorts that out cheaply and effectively. I've also heard plenty of transport noise from more expensive machines.

My experience has been the opposite: The Rotel RCD 975 and Arcam CD73T were very good devices, although the the drawers could sound a little noisy.

In most areas the Nain CD5i, which has the quirky manual drawer, and the more traditional Electrocompaniet is noticeably better in terms of SQ and operation. The only downside to the Electro is the commands are a bit dimwitted. In terms of reliability and consistancy, the more expensive machines are better.

Much the same as the Exposure CD2010S and Arcam 192. The budget machines are impressive but I wouldn't go back to one now.

Agreed.

What's wrong with the Electro's commands PP?

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

Nothing major. When you press 'open' or 'close' it doesn't straight away. On my Arcam it was immediate, but on the Electro you have hold down the button for a second or two. It sort of thinks about it for a couple of seconds.

Ah I see... the EMC1UP is a manual top loader

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
MajorFubar said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
As for cheap DVD players from supermarkets playing everything, that, I believe, is mainly because they don't design and build within guidelines.
Sadly the customer isn't consoled by the fact that the reason his new Aston Martin DB9 won't drive on most of his local roads is because the tarmac wasn't laid to spec, when he can see his neighbour's Austin Maxi will go just about anywhere.
Most small companies like staying the right side of the law.

This is clearly territory I'm not qualified to comment on, other than to note that your implication that every other CD player the world over which can play CDs that a Cyrus cannot, can only do so because its designers or manufacturers broke the law, is a bit bizarre.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts