Isolation blobs... recommendable?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone. The shelf on which my amplifier and CD player rest is prone to excessive vibrations at higher volumes, and I am concerned for the performance of the CD player due to this. I don't want to replace the shelf for aesthetic and book-storage reasons, so have considered Isolation feet for the two components. Could anyone kindly suggest any effective isolation feet for them? This would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks! zimble01

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Oh yes, know just the thing! The BrightStar IsoNodes cost just £15 for four and will isolate your CD player and amplifier. We've just recommended them in our Awards 07 issue as "the biggest improvement you can make for this kind of money".

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Can these bright star isonodes be used between the top of the speaker stands and the speakers.
Any replies thanks.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
CD player, Why not? Every time vibrations get through to the spinning CD there is a probability that a miss read may occur thus invoking the error correction mechanism to "guess" what the erroneous data should have been.

The more error correction the poorer the sound. Seems perfectly reasonable to isolate the CD player.

Have you tried Squash balls cut in two?

A

Anonymous

Hello...

It seems an interesting discussion ensued while I was away. Thank you, Mr. Clough - I shall definitely have a look at the Isonodes. The only problem is that I'll probably have to order them over the Internet. Hmmm.

Thanks!
zimble01

A

Anonymous

If you go to your nearest hifi shop, sevenoaks ect they may be able to order them in for you, thats what im going to do anyway.

A

Anonymous

Like someone else suggested further up, just get some squash balls and cut them in half with a sharp knife. That's all the isonodes really are!!

A

Anonymous

ILL MEET YOU IN THE SPORTS SHOP, THEN GO FOR A GAME OF SQUASH BEFORE WE CUT THEM UP.

A

Anonymous

Hi All, The isonodes work under the speakers, as they squash down to a very thin size. Not sure of the science, but it works with my BR2's..... Shoot me down in flames as I'm not a tech junky and will never confess to be one.

Also, if you need to get them for any other components in your stereo system, go onto the internet, type in isonodes. There is the original company in america that do them, I got free shipping and a set of 8 small ones, cost me less than £15. In this country, they would have cost about £35.

Cheers....

A

Anonymous

SEDUCT 10N
I TAKE IT YOU USE THE SMALL ONES UNDER YOUR SPEAKERS, DO THEY SOUND BRIGHT OR WARM I WONDER IF THE LARGER ONES WOULD BE BETTER.

A

Anonymous

Hello again --

One more thing: When I say "prone to excessive vibration", I do not mean mild, undetectable vibrations, but rather those that can easily be felt by placing one's hand on the cabinet. In other words, bad vibrations! I am not certain whether even the IsoNodes will dampen these, but please do share your experience.

Many thanks as ever.
zimble01

A

Anonymous

In terms of vibration I could feel it on the hi-fi cabinet, on the cd player shelf and on the player itself.

I bought 4 large Isonodes and placed them under the feet of the CD player. I also placed some foam rubber under the shelf runner / support.

The cabinet still vibrates the same but the shelf vibrates slightly less and the cd player hardly vibrates at all.

The Isonodes definitely made a difference and there is a subtle (not massive) improvement in the details heard in the music.

Certainly worth £15.

A

Anonymous

Hello again.

Heystak: thank you for your information -- this is what I was hoping to hear.

Also (and this is completely over-budget so just out of interest), has anyone had experience of the Gingko Audio Cloud 10 dampening platform? I stumbled upon it while researching IsoNodes and it looked rather interesting. As I mentioned, it's completely out of my price range for a tweak, so I am asking out of interest if anyone has heard it.

zimble01

A

Anonymous

Can't help with the Cloud 10 stuff but my neighbour uses the Isonodes and also puts a 5kilogram weight on top of the cd player to reduce vibration further.

This makes sense but I'm not sure of the long term impact of doing this on the cd chassis

A

Anonymous

Hello.
Does anyone know wich is the absolute best things to use.The soft isolation blobs your all talking about ie isonodes, foculpods ect, or the harder type cones wood, metal ect. These are two complete opposites so whats the ultimate best, and recommendations please.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="zimble01"]Hello again --

One more thing: When I say "prone to excessive vibration", I do not mean mild, undetectable vibrations, but rather those that can easily be felt by placing one's hand on the cabinet. In other words, bad vibrations! I am not certain whether even the IsoNodes will dampen these, but please do share your experience.

Many thanks as ever.
zimble01[/quote]

To be honest it sounds like you are more in need of a decent hi-fi stand/rack if the vibrations are that bad! when i say decent i dont mean spending mega bucks - 150 quid will get you a top notch rack! However, if you just want to settle with isolation supports then as an alternative to the Isonodes you could also try Flatfeet (search on ebay) - i have now bought some 8 different sets of these and am extremely pleased with the results! I use them under my cd player and amp coupled with Tesco Finest £10 granite chopping boards (which also look amazing) i have created top-class isolation platforms for very little money! I also have them under my speakers which really has helped to tighten up the bass! The Flatfeet are available in two different sizes: the £5 smaller ones (which come in a pack of 4) are designed to support 1kg - 2.2kg each (4-8.8kg total mass) while the £12 larger ones (which also come in a pack of 4) designed to support 2.2kg - 4.5kg each (9-18kg total mass).
Hope this helps

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Dougie 2"]
Hello.
Does anyone know wich is the absolute best things to use.The soft isolation blobs your all talking about ie isonodes, foculpods ect, or the harder type cones wood, metal ect. These are two complete opposites so whats the ultimate best, and recommendations please.
[/quote]

what is "best" is very subjective... in reference to your question about using hard/soft supports i actually use both to great effect. i use the soft "blobs" under granite slabs and then the soft "blobs" again on top of the granite (with the component on top). its what works for me...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts