Is WiFi direct the same as Airplay or compatible

Pooh Bear

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I want to use Wi Fi direct to play music from a Android Tablet through wireless speakers but dont want to use any apples.

I know there are some Wi Fi direct speakers but a salesman at John L said that Airplay was the same thing and I cound link an Android to Airplay

Speakers with Wi Fi direct. I thought he was wrong but am I wrong?

cheers.gif

Pooh Bear

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Thanks muchly for the replies. I don't want to use airplay, I want to use WiFi direct but there are not many good quality WiFi direct speakers around. I was wondering if I could use WiFi direct to transmit to an airplay speaker. That is what the John Lewis chap said I could do but I thought he was wrong. For example can I use WiFi direct to play music through a B&W A7. I would like to play music away from a network where the two componants (tablet and speakers) can be linked as they are with bluetooth but with a longer range that WiFi direct would give me.

Many thanks again and :cheers:

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Well hes right and he's wrong.

Wifi-direct is not the same as Airplay. But there are plenty of android apps that do support Airplay, and will do what you want.

Personally I'd go for speakers that support Airplay, Wi-FI direct and DLNA. That way you cant go wrong.

Pooh Bear

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm Confused. :rofl:

Bigboss, I do want to use WiFi direct because it gives a better range than Bluetooth but does not require a network just peer to peer (as does Bluetooth).

Another Joe, yes I agree that would be the best option (to use a speaker that does them all) BUT if I could use an Aiplay speaker that would give me a better choice as WiFi direct speakers are not common YET. Besides the "expert" at John Lewis said I could use Airlplay speakers with WiFi direct set on the Tablet (which I believed was wrong but he wodn't have it). I dont want to use airplay to connect to the speaker so an app to use airplay is not relevant.

I also believe that what Bigboss said about using WiFi direct "is not possible" but I thought I would check with the Knowledgeable people on this forum to confirm my suspicions.

:cheers: again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts