Is this true about a built-in dac? (cheap reciver)

gasolin

Is this true? (take from a danish forum and tranlated with the help of google translate)

In most cheape reciever's you can not avoid the built-in DAC - whether you use the digital or analog inputs.

Even if you send a digital signal to the reciever, you can not avoid its built-in DAC,it will process the signal.

If you send an analog signal to the reciever to its built-in DAC it also convert the signal to a digital ditto for treatment within the reciever.

Whether you have a good sound card that can send a good signal to the reciever, you can not avoid that this signal will be converted back and forth by the recievers built-in DAC.

The sound is not better than the treatment that recieverens built-in DAC can achieve.

I have this reciver without a dab http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=Systems&SubId=MiniMicro&ProductId=DRAF109DAB

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't trust Google translate.

THis is illogical. They would need an analogue to digital converter to convert the analogue input to digital and then have the onboard DAC convert it to analogue again. ICould they be getting confused with other processing such as surround and other sound modes in an AV receiver?

Also, either proof of how dodgy Google translate can be or how little idea the person making the statement has, why would you say you can't avoid the DAC even if you send a digital signal? The whole point of sending a digital signal is for the DAC receiving that signal to process it, i.e. the onboard DAC in this case.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I think I know what you/they mean.

Some receivers, like my DBS930 do indeed feed analogue signals coming through the RCA's, through the onboard DSP with varying degree of processing depending on user settings. Only the phono stage and 5.1 inputs are excluded.

I happen to like the onboard DAC's on the sony so whether I use 5.1 (direct) or use the internal DAC's by way of optical for example, the results are very good to my ears hence why I use the receiver rather than any of my stereo amplifiers at present.

I can't talk about other receivers as I am not into HC.

regards

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
gasolin said:
Is this true? (take from a danish forum and tranlated with the help of google translate)

In most cheape reciever's you can not avoid the built-in DAC - whether you use the digital or analog inputs.

Even if you send a digital signal to the reciever, you can not avoid its built-in DAC,it will process the signal.

If you send an analog signal to the reciever to its built-in DAC it also convert the signal to a digital ditto for treatment within the reciever.

Whether you have a good sound card that can send a good signal to the reciever, you can not avoid that this signal will be converted back and forth by the recievers built-in DAC.

The sound is not better than the treatment that recieverens built-in DAC can achieve.

I have this reciver without a dab http://www.denon.co.uk/uk/Product/Pages/Product-Detail.aspx?Catid=Systems&SubId=MiniMicro&ProductId=DRAF109DAB

Are you sure this is the case for all recievers or your just making a generalisation..?..

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
As a passing interest. In the receiver fed digital thru hdmi or digi coax etc., does the dac convert to analogue before amplification and then ptocessed in analogue or is all processing done digitally and amplified before conversion. Or inded other routes? And what about with analogue inputs such as phono? Mmmm. Back to school I guess

jiggyjoe

Aug 21, 2010
Visit site
I think most modern recievers have a Analog direct mode that bypasses the dacs and onboard dsp, but your speakers will be driven full range as all the size and room correction options are performed in dsp.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
As a passing interest. In the receiver fed digital thru hdmi or digi coax etc., does the dac convert to analogue before amplification and then ptocessed in analogue or is all processing done digitally and amplified before conversion. Or inded other routes? And what about with analogue inputs such as phono? Mmmm. Back to school I guess

I think that the digital input is processed first, then converted into an analogue signal by the DAC before finally being amplified last.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Purely conjecture, but I also think the statement applies to AV receivers rather than 2 channel receivers like the OP has.

TRENDING THREADS