Is this receiver any good

rockerman66

Sep 13, 2015
Visit site
Hi all I have been offered a teac ag-790 receiver for £40. At the moment I'm using a Yamaha 396 amp but it's keeps cutting out on me so time to look round for replacement. I like the idea of a receiver as I have no space for a separate tuner. The speakers I'm using are Wharfedale Diamond 220 Bookshelf speakers. Could I have your views please

I'm not familiar with the Teac receiver, but I see that Richer Sounds sold it, and it retailed at £149 towards the end. I'm guessing it is maybe around five to eight years old.

The spec looks good on paper, but a review on Amazon cautions against using 6 or 4 ohm speakers. Your 220s dip to 4.1 ohms according to Wharfedale, though they are nominally 8 ohms. (As you may know, this figure isn't a fixed value in any speaker, more a mean figure). Therefore at louder levels they might cause the Teac to break sweat or shut down. That might even be the issue with your Yamaha, but I've not checked that out.

Frankly, unless £40 is a week's food for you, I can't see how you can go wrong at £40, bearing in mind the proviso above.

insider9

I'd agree with the fact you can't really make a big loss on such purchase. Why don't you give it a go and let us know what you think? :)

I would say though my current stereo amp Sony STR-DB930 (technically it is an AV amp) sounds great and can be used for stereo, would cost you similarly. I actually sold much higher regarded and more expensive gear and kept the Sony. I can highly recommend it.

Also, on paper it has better specs than the Teac your refering to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts