Is this forum pointless?

HDNumpty

Jan 17, 2008
Visit site
Is there any point posting to it?
smiley-sealed.gif

U

unknown

ask a question, result ? many answers that contradict each other.........

give an opinion, result ? abuse from the likes of you lot........

(i'll be bored of it soon, on the ground that i have a life)

T

the record spot

Re: your first question - of course you'll get different answers that often contradict each other. They're opinion based, not benchmarked and standardised to ensure consistency or a one size fits all outcome. Of course there'll be differences!

matthewpiano

Like any online community this forum goes through phases, and at present I think this one is having a difficult time. It will come back out of it again, probably with an influx of new people.

No offence intended, but if you find it pointless why post?

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
No, it's my favourite (and I subscribe to several, not all hifi-related) - generally good-tempered, often wise, but always bonkers: are there forums for gardening implements? Oh dear, there probably are.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
When you look at it, aren't most things we do in life pointless? I mean, if I stopped producing and implementing technical designs for my company's clients, would anything really change in the world (let alone the universe). Bit of a depressing thought really.

On the other hand, if you get enjoyment from something, it's definintely not pointless from your perspective. If you don't, then it's probably something you should stop doing (unless you have to in order to feed, clothe and shelter yourself / your family etc.).

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Given the inane and often offensive pointless posts to this forum recently is there any point in reading this forum anymore?

Chris
Well i got a lot of help when buying my Naim kit and suggestions on speakers, especially from Plastic Penguin who doesnt really like the Naim sound but didnt call me a numpty for liking it myself. When i asked about streaming i asked some dumb questions and got very well explained answers especially from drummerman, proffessor hat and overdose around an apple airport express. Proffessorhat told me something that was contradicted by the knowledgable chap in the apple shop about his own product. apple man was wrong, the proffessor was right. I suppose it only falls to argument if the answers are subjective. I for one am grateful for the help that i have been given on here.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
It would probably help if the rules were applied...

1. Members must not post libellous, racist, aggressive or otherwise insulting or abusive remarks about any individual, company or organisation.

2. Members must not use swear words, or offensive phrases or terminology in their posts, user names or signatures.

D

Deleted member 2457

It seems to be the hifi section that causes all the problems, perhaps that needs sorting out. The home cinema section runs fine and is definitely worth following.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I think this forum just reflects the different characters in real life , the way people post is just an extension of their true personality ( whether they realise it or not . :) )

So this forum is no more pointless than life itself and I quite enjoy life and the forum . :)

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I've just got a bit fed up recently with people slagging each other off. There is still some interesting stuff posted but you have to wade through a lot of effluent to get to it.

Chris

nara

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Pointless? No, but...

I think that more people need to look up the definition of the word 'forum'.

Posters should be able to present opposing points of view without being insulted or disrespected. Arguments should be robust without the need to resort to childish name-calling.

An understanding of irony and a thick skin are essential. Pouters and dummy-chuckers should be studiously ignored.

Pigs might fly.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
It has got pretty full on recently, particularly that cable thread. Mostly I do find that it has posts from helpful users though.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
I will respect those who respect themsleves. But would not agree with the know it all, all the time regular users on here.. It seems to be the same people giving the same old opinion of old out dated views. We stock in our ways thats why the world is in a mess. Nothing is absolute.

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Covenanter said:
Given the inane and often offensive pointless posts to this forum recently is there any point in reading this forum anymore?

As a newbie two things struck me:

- a lot of disrputive posts from people with a high number of posts

- a very low level of interest in how hi-fi works

A high level of disruptive posts from high volume posters seems to be the inevitable end for unmoderated audiophile forums. It will be interesting to see how things develop and if the moderators start sin-binning a few of those posters. Is the growth fairly recent?

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have had a lot of people on this and other forums, headphones, turntables ,ect.

But as others have said, you have to take advice from people who know what they are talking about, probably about 20% of members.

Steer away from the "know it all brigade" and those who opine on almost every thread to get their count up.

So sort the wheat from the chaff ( and we have a lot of chaff).............

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
hg said:
Covenanter said:

As a newbie two things struck me:

- a lot of disrputive posts from people with a high number of posts

- a very low level of interest in how hi-fi works

A high level of disruptive posts from high volume posters seems to be the inevitable end for unmoderated audiophile forums. It will be interesting to see how things develop and if the moderators start sin-binning a few of those posters. Is the growth fairly recent?

One of the challenges for the magazine is that many of the profilic posters and those with a low level of interest (and maybe low level of understanding) of how hifi works share a common view with the reviewing style of the magazine. You don't want to go and shoot your supporters....

TRENDING THREADS