Is this a good price for X Dem Cyrus Kit?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

Please can you tell me if I've got a good deal. I have just deposited on the following:

Cyrus Pre XVS, DAC X, CD XT, DAB 8.0, PSX-R X3 & Chord Chameleon Silver plus 2 for £2850.

Now I need to get the power amps and speakers, I posted before saying that I can get a good deal on some Sonus Faber Concerto Domus for £999, or should I wait and get the mono x and drive some Pro ac D25/D28'S?

A

Anonymous

Dac XP is better than DAC X plus Pre.

Also the CDXT isn't necessary if you have a laptop you're willing to use.

A

Anonymous

Eddie,

I dont have a laptop. Dac XP is £1795 x demo, DAC X & cd xt works out at £995, Financially does this make sense?

matthewpiano

stew31:Eddie,

I dont have a laptop. Dac XP is £1795 x demo, DAC X & cd xt works out at £995, Financially does this make sense?

I'd stick with what you have already deposited on. With regards to the laptop thing, I think they work nicely as an additional source but I wouldn't want to be without a CD player.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The Mono X's will drive the Proacs and the SF's far better
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

stew31: Cyrus Pre XVS, DAC X, CD XT, DAB 8.0, PSX-R X3 & Chord Chameleon Silver plus 2 for £2850.

The prices are okay but could be lower considering that both the PreXVS and CDXT are no longer current models (which are the Pre VS2 and CD XTSE).

And if I were buying into Cyrus now, I would be very tempted to ditch the PreXVS and DACX for the integrated 8XPd which is on its way, it is meant to be state of the art but no one knows whether its on board DAC is as good as the DACX, probably not but the pre-section should be better than the PreXVS.... and this saves on "box count" and you need one less PSX-R, using only 2 to power the 8XPd and the CDXT..... just a thought! But you seem to be in a hurry to buy so may not be able to wait for the new models to be reviewed and hit the shops
emotion-1.gif

PS. You can still use the 8XPd to biamp if you wish using the pre-outs to connect to the power amp.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
http://www.moorgateacoustics.co.uk/index.php?product_id=2049120&option=Prod_detail&image_id=628720

just a thought Cyrus Pre vs2 with X-power for £1k - they will also do a deal on a PSX-R as part of that deal can't rem exct figure on those and take the DAC X & cd xt for £995 do you want the DAB or is that just part of the deal you've been offered - start with that for a £2.2k system and then add other bits as you go - another X-power more PSX-R as you go

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Paul at moorgates also gets used show stock and great deals on reprosesed cyrus kit.Dealers don't get any better imo top guy to deal with.

A

Anonymous

John,

I have been dealing with Paul today by e-mail. I dont mind if the kit has been superseeded I just want the best sounding kit. Can you answer the following or anyone for that matter:

Is the Pre Xvs at £1000, better then the Pre vs2 at £700?

Is the CDXT at £750 & DAC X at £1250 better than the 8SE at £1200?

I know I will end up with more boxes than going down the DAC XP route but it's all about cost for quality for me

Cheers

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
The vs2 preamp is better than the pre xvs imo.Ive not done a back to back but that's what most think on cyrusunofficial.I own a vs2 with psxr and it is a better preamp than my pre x was.The best cyrus preamp is the one in the dac xp.Cyrus do a upgrade from pre xvs to vs2 for £300.

A

Anonymous

the PreVS2 is considered to be the smoother sounding of the two.

Never heard the 8SE but I certainly wouldn't be paying those prices for the DAC X, CDXT or the Pre Xvs for that matter.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
The new se players are very good indeed but id say the dac x with cd xt would be the better performer of the 2.Also the dac x has 6 inputs so if you have more sources like dab tuner and dvd or laptop and want to stream music through the hifi etc it will also boost them to a new level.If you have the funds go for a dac xp if possible as then you have the best preamp and dac with 6 inputs.All depends on your budget and future upgrade plans really but buying a dac xp now if you can would save you money later on.Ive done a back to back with the cdxt and cdxtse into dac xp and the new se transport was so much better i sent my cd8 x off for cdxtse upgrade.If you want a more simple system the 8se does sound fantastic but you do get what you pay for im afraid.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
I run my cyrus dab8 through my dac x and it sounds very good indeed.The freeview should sound even better as it has higher bit rate than dab.Nearly everything digital today will have a digital out and the sound will get a boost with a dac x.

manicm

Eddie Pound:

Dac XP is better than DAC X plus Pre.

Also the CDXT isn't necessary if you have a laptop you're willing to use.

Not true, they have the exact same DACs; according to Cyrus DAC X + Pre module = DAC XP

A

Anonymous

Well, the DAC-XP is a fully balanced design, therefore DAX-XP > DAC-X+Pre.

The DACs are exactly the same though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts