Is this a good pairing (amp+speakers)?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Nope, as I told you the Cantons were gone, but they were probably the best choice. So I decided for basic but new speakers. I know they're not the same quality level, but I couldn't buy 3/400€ speakers. I got the Monitor supreme 202 for 159€ (have you heard anything about them btw?).

I've looked around a bit for those cables but I can't find them in Italian stores (maybe I'll have a better look at home). Would this be a terrible choice?

Is it ok to look for 2,5mm^2? Bigger diameter=better signal (materials being equal)? Is there any problem in buying "naked" cables (such as interference, dust, etc?).

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't mind cables from a spool, but some of them are fake. When you scrape the copper wire, you will see the copper is only plated on aluminium or steel wire, which is not good.

I recommended Tasker because you can buy it online. Also here.

Feel free to use bare wire, you don't need banana plugs. Bare wire is the best connection. And yes, the thicker the cable, the better it passes the signal (the bass especially) and the amplifier will have better control over the speakers.

2.5mm is minimum. 4mm is great, 6mm is best but you will have to use banana or spade plugs because it wont fit bare in the terminals. Because your speakers are not big, 2.5mm or 4mm is sufficient.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I would get the 4mm cable without banana plugs. Just use the bare wire directly in the terminals. :) Give it a bit of a twist with your fingers so the copper strands don't spread around and cause a short circuit.

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Ok I set it up!

I like it. You were probably right about the speakers, a more expensive one could have been worth it (maybe in next years *good* )

I see I can't turn up the volume too much (even though the sensibility is 93 db), because I can hear the sound clipping. I thought they could have been louder.

How do I know when I should turn down the volume? Is it normal that if I pass my hand over the amp I can feel some warm air? Do I risk to definitivelybreak the amp?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
In the higher frequency music will sound hardened and harsh if the amplifier is clipping. Also you may notice popping sounds from the woofers. That is a sign you need to turn it down.

If you want louder, good option is to sit closer to the system and maybe get the speakers closer to the walls for more bass.

They are small speakers and the amp is not very powerful, so keep your expectations moderate. Small is small, regardless how expensive it is. No one starts big immediately, you will upgrade in time, no worries. ;)

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Ahahah yeah I know, let's hope so!

I've got a lot of questions though but I don't want to keep you busy for the rest of your life *pardon*

Anyway, you can even stop answering, I won't be offendend *biggrin* if I connect my iPod to the 3,5mm jack it sounds ok, but instead if I connect my samsung s4 mini the sound is terrible, regardless of the file quality. How can it be so bad?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm glad to help anyway I can or just even have a chat.

Try the Samsung without having it turned up with the volume 100%. Use it at 60-80% and turn your amp a bit louder to compensate. Also turn off any EQ effects and play files pure.

Does it sound OK with earphones?

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Thank you, then

It doesn't sound good with my Sennheisers, but definitely not that bad (I can hear some "scratches" even at low volume). I already tried your solutions, but didn't help much.

Wait, I just tried again! I think it's because of the player I was using yesterday. Now I compared to the default android music app and it's definitely better. How can it be so?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
There is probably some sound enhancement embedded in the player software that maybe help with earbuds but will sound terrible on your amp. Maybe it's just bad software. *unknw*

Glad it's sorted out with the new player.
thumbs_up.gif

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Hey! I'm here again *help*

I just noticed sort of white noise in my left speaker. It happens only when some music is playing. I'll try to explain:
if the amp is on but nothing's playing, no white noise;
if a silent track is playing (e.g. the beginning of a track), no white noise;
if a track with highs is playing (bass prevents me from hearing it I guess), I can hear white noise.

I tried to use multiple tracks, but the same occurs. I tried to select the "mono" option on my ipod, I tried two different sources, but didn't work.

Do you think it is a cable, amp or speaker problem?

I first noticed it after I moved the speaker, but just very little. What can it be? How can I tell the cause?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts