Is this a good pairing (amp+speakers)?

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Hello, I have some questions for my new setup.

I'd like to pair the amp ONKYO A 9030 with speakers DENON SC-M39

Is this a good choice, in your opinion? Are the speakers compatible? Are they good enough compared to the amp?

My final setup would be PC/iPod/Fiio M3+Onkyo+Denon, is this enough or I would need something else?

gasolin

Rodolfo Assereto said:
Hello, I have some questions for my new setup.

I'd like to pair the amp ONKYO A 9030 with speakers DENON SC-M39

Is this a good choice, in your opinion? Are the speakers compatible? Are they good enough compared to the amp?

My final setup would be PC/iPod/Fiio M3+Onkyo+Denon, is this enough or I would need something else?

Extremly low sensitivity (83) so you won't even play half decent loud compared to dali zensor 3,boston a26,Q acoustics 2020i https://www.alzashop.com/denon-sc-m39-black-d364528.htm#popis

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for replying.

Well, what you say is true, but I managed to find the Denon for 80€, while the cheapest speaker you mentioned costs 270€.

Would it be that terrible, in the end? Which parameters should Iook at?

EDIT: so I understand the amp is "too good" for the speakers, am I right? It's not a balanced match...

EDIT 2: I would use them in my room, so I don't need so much power actually. Just some noise :)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The Onkyo may struggle with those speakers to get them loud and without distortion. It's not a 4 ohms capable amp and the Denons are low efficiency and 6 ohms nominal. If you can get a more powerfull amp, get it. If not, take it easy on the Onkyo, make sure it is well ventilated with air on top (don't put components on top of it). And if you play loud and sound is a bit harsh and rough, that's the amplifier clipping, time to turn the volume down. And don't use the loudness button or the tone controls turned to the max.

Later you can add an active subwoofer because the Onkyo has a sub-out. This will help the amp run the Denons much easier since the difficult low frequencies will go to the subwoofer and its amplifier.

*wink*

gasolin

Vladimir said:
The Onkyo may struggle with those speakers to get them loud and without distortion. It's not a 4 ohms capable amp and the Denons are low efficiency and 6 ohms nominal. If you can get a more powerfull amp, get it. If not, take it easy on the Onkyo, make sure it is well ventilated with air on top (don't put components on top of it). And if you play loud and sound is a bit harsh and rough, that's the amplifier clipping, time to turn the volume down. And don't use the loudness button or the tone controls turned to the max.

Later you can add an active subwoofer because the Onkyo has a sub-out. This will help the amp run the Denons much easier since the difficult low frequencies will go to the subwoofer and its amplifier.

*wink*

only if the amp has a high pass filter for denons or else the bass from the denons will be the same (max spl before distortion)

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Ok, thank you Vladimir.

But I just don't understand where I should look at to see if a match is possible or not.

I literally know nothing about audio, and I'm trying to guess. So the spakers have a low efficiency, and the power of the amp is not enough to reach a decent noise? I understood the opposite from what gasolin said.

I think bot the amp and the speakers are a good deal for their price. Which one should I change then? Vladimir you said I should change the amp, but what specs should I look for?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Low efficiency (measured in dB) means the speaker needs more amplifier power to go as loud as a more efficient speaker. Just like car aerodynamics, some go faster because they are more aerodynamic.

Low impedance (measured in ohms) means the speaker will draw more power to go as loud as a higher impedance speaker. Just like car weight, some weigh more and need a bigger engine to run them to the same speed as a lighter car.

You know that race cars are both very aerodynamic and very light in order to go fast. Same with hi-fi. If the speakers are difficult to run (low efficiency and low impedance) you need a bigger amp.

The Denons are 83dB efficient (average is 87dB - 88dB) and 6 ohms nominal (8 ohms is high impedance, 4 ohms is low, 2 ohms is an amp killer). If you had 90dB and 8 ohms speakers, the Onkyo would run them with ease. If you have a 300W amplifier in 4 ohms, it will run the denons with ease. So you need to go either easy speakers or powerfull amp.

But if you add a subwoofer, that has its own amplifier and would help the Onkyo push the Denons loud with less problems. Teamwork.

gasolin

Vladimir said:
Low efficiency (measured in dB) means the speaker needs more amplifier power to go as loud as a more efficient speaker. Just like car aerodynamics, some go faster because they are more aerodynamic.

Low impedance (measured in ohms) means the speaker will draw more power to go as loud as a higher impedance speaker. Just like car weight, some weigh more and need a bigger engine to run them to the same speed as a lighter car.

You know that race cars are both very aerodynamic and very light in order to go fast. Same with hi-fi. If the speakers are difficult to run (low efficiency and low impedance) you need a bigger amp.

The Denons are 83dB efficient (average is 87dB - 88dB) and 6 ohms nominal (8 ohms is high impedance, 4 ohms is low, 2 ohms is an amp killer). If you had 90dB and 8 ohms speakers, the Onkyo would run them with ease. If you have a 300W amplifier in 4 ohms, it will run the denons with ease. So you need to go either easy speakers or powerfull amp.

But if you add a subwoofer, that has its own amplifier and would help the Onkyo push the Denons loud with less problems. Teamwork.

Only if the amp has a high pass filter so the denon's don't play bass under 80-125hz

Adding a subwoofer will only make the bass louder and deep the denon's wil still distort at the same spl if the bas is not cut under 80-125hz

If you play alot of edm get some other spakers with more omph like boston a 25, Moniotor audio bx2 or some older B&W 600 minimum 6½inch woofer

gasolin

whathifi say 130 watt it's only 65 watt pr channel not 130watt.

I have 45 rms and 89db, with the denon speakers you would need 6 db more power, 180watt and both combination would be equally loud, my system i okay loud

if you want to play loud get something like dali zensor 1-3 lektor 3, boston a25-26, monitor audio bx2, Q acoustics 2020i/3020

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
Vladimir said:

*wink*

only if the amp has a high pass filter for denons or else the bass from the denons will be the same (max spl before distortion)

Yup. A sub with a HP filter.

@Rodolfo - Gasolin gave you good speaker suggestions. You will have to spend more on a sub, bigger amp or get easier speakers to run.

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
EDIT: oh, i just saw the discussion had proceeded while I was looking for other speakers *clapping*

Vladimir said:

Ok, that was very, very helpful.

Anyway, I found some used speakers in my city. Would you give me your opinion?

http://www.subito.it/audio-video/diffusori-infinity-reference-20-savona-135594578.htm specs: 100W max 6 Ohm 90Db Sens 50Hz - 25KHz +-2.5dB 9kg 46 x 27 x 25cm They're 90db sensibility but just 6 Ohms impedance. Will they work?

Alternatively: http://www.subito.it/audio-video/diffusori-stereo-grundig-genova-144328020.htm 8 Ohm, nominal Power: 120-180W, freq respose: 33-220000, crossover: 950-3800

Vladimir said:

I wasn't planning to add any, because it would cost too much. I understand the concept of "teamwork", but what about the problem gasolin talked about? Should I choose a particular subwoofer?

I have found some other (new) speakers on Amazon, looking for 8 Ohm impendance and/or 90db sensibility. Can I list them and ask you some advice?

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site

gasolin

Rodolfo Assereto said:
They look awesome, but I'm scared to buy some used speakers that I can't try (they're in Rome, while I'm in Genoa). Thus, I'm afraid the seller won't ship the item.

EDIT: I just managed to find the Zensor 3 http://www.subito.it/audio-video/diffusori-acustici-dali-zensor-3-milano-145886933.htm?last=1, but they're too costly for me

And the Q acoustics 2010i http://www.subito.it/audio-video/q-acoustics-2010i-sondrio-146399360.htm?last=1, which I could afford.

You should look at the Q acoustics 2020i not the 2010i the woofer is to small for something loud and because of the cabinet being a closed,sealed type (bass) you should go for the 2020i many 4" woofer can only play loud or okay bass, most of them can't do both

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'd get those B&Ws. They are nice, the price is great, and also they are not difficult to drive (88dB, 8 ohms).
thumbs_up.gif

Vladimir said:

*wink*

Or car crash? (Wonder where I got that phrase from?). *blum3*

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
What???

You lot know those Denons are usually paired with the midi Denon systems right?

The Onkyo will drive those speakers more than fine..

It's upto you if you drive them too hard. But as far as controlling those speakers and driving them loud you have no need to worry.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
What???

You lot know those Denons are usually paired with the midi Denon systems right?

The Onkyo will drive those speakers more than fine..

It's upto you if you drive them too hard. But as far as controlling those speakers and driving them loud you have no need to worry.

Let's be realistic. He will drive them too hard at some point, if not most of the time, and probably not realize it.

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Let's be realistic. He will drive them too hard at some point, if not most of the time, and probably not realize it.

Yes, that's very likely to happen, indeed *pardon*

I was just wandering why they are so cheap. I asked the guy if I can listen to them, but I'm afraid I won't be able to understand if they're worth it. I have never had a nice system. Just cheap home cinema.

So, I expect the overall to sound much better than my alternatives, right? Which are All-in-one bluetooth system 2.0 Pioneer-X-PM32-Sistema-Bluetooth

and bluetooth active speakers Edifier-Studio-R2730DB

and even Denon D-M39DAB which is the Denon speakers I had found at the beginning + a Denon amp.

Cause since all of them are new (with warranty) and cost more or less the same as my choice, would be valid alternatives, in case of similar sound (furthermore the first two have the bluetooth features I'd really miss in my present choice).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts