Is this a good pairing (amp+speakers)?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
You can use the line-out on your PC, you don't need a DAC. But if you want one, the Behringer UCA 202 will do the trick.

For your portable player you also don't need a DAC. Just get a 3.5mm -> 2 x RCA cable and take signal from the headphone output and directly to your amp inputs.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Rodolfo Assereto said:
Yea but I don't trust my ears (that's pretty nonsense I know). And also the Cantons are more than 1h away from my house.

I will let you know. Thanks for helping. Is there any way I can repay for your time?

Yes. Come back and let us know how you like the new equipment once you have everything set up.
thumbs_up.gif

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
Ahahah yea the Onkyo is quite heavy, I didn't expect it to be so big. I though I could bring it packaged on my motorbike but had to take the car instead.

Well, the B&W guy is totally absent. I'm finally considering the Canton GLE 436, that looks like a deal for 100€. You said the Onkyo will drive them, right?

I also found these Mercury Tannoy (looking at the pcitures on google search they should be M1 or M2). Are they better than the Canton?

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Rodolfo Assereto said:
Ahahah yea the Onkyo is quite heavy, I didn't expect it to be so big. I though I could bring it packaged on my motorbike but had to take the car instead.

Well, the B&W guy is totally absent. I'm finally considering the Canton GLE 436, that looks like a deal for 100€. You said the Onkyo will drive them, right?

I also found these Mercury Tannoy (looking at the pcitures on google search they should be M1 or M2). Are they better than the Canton?

I would go for the Cantons.
thumbs_up.gif

Get some decent speaker cable too. Tasker or this Hama. I use Tasker.

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
If I buy them, I'll keep them (unless they're really horrible), because I have non basis for comparison. The reviews on amazon.it are really good, and they are affordable.

I'll wait some more for something to pop out near my city, or on ebay. If nothing comes, I'll go for them.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Rodolfo Assereto said:
Meanwhile, can I ask you something more about the subwoofer? You told me I could split the frequencies between the speakers and a sub. But I guess the amp must be able to recognise a sub is playing too so not to send low frequencies to the tweeters, right?

Not the amplifier, the subwoofer will have the option to split the lower frequency from the rest.

You take the signal from the Onkyo amp to the subwoofer high pass filter. It will divide the frequency, send low frequency to the subwoofer inside, and then from a second pair of terminals on the back you connect wires to the small speakers which will get the rest of the frequency.

Before you buy a powered subwoofer, you must make sure it has this feature (high pass filter).

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
No idea why, I'm being censored for spam.

I can't write the original message (there are no link, so I don't know what the filter saw)

EDIT: I'll try again here: "All right, got it. Will I gain something in terms of quality?

I randomly saw this. I was thinking - maybe - I can bu xyz y cheaper speakers if I pair them with a sub..."

EDIT 2: Oh god is this because I cannot say buy?

EDIT 3: I just said it so it's not. Well I don't know why my message was filtered. Anyway...

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Rodolfo Assereto said:
No idea why, I'm being censored for spam.

I can't write the original message (there are no link, so I don't know what the filter saw)

EDIT: I'll try again here: "All right, got it. Will I gain something in terms of quality?

I randomly saw this. I was thinking - maybe - I can bu xyz y cheaper speakers if I pair them with a sub..."

EDIT 2: Oh god is this because I cannot say buy?

EDIT 3: I just said it so it's not. Well I don't know why my message was filtered. Anyway...

Subwoffer can contribute to cleaner presentation of the main speakers if their design had issues with bass extension and distortion at higher SPL. These improvements are usually subtle, not extreme.

You are already buying cheap speakers. If you go any cheaper, you might as well just bang music on a piece of cardboard.

Dec 28, 2015
Visit site
All right, I got the Magnats. Which cables would you suggest? I'd like a decent one, since I may keep the same in case of upgrading.

Also, do you have any suggestions about the connection? For example, I just read the right and left cable should be the same lenght, but you shouldn't roll the cable - and I'll have some problems since one of the speakers is very close to the amp while the other is much further. Or anything else? (any advice is welcome)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I do recommend same length of cable per channel, not because it harms the amp or changes the sound (it doesn't), but because in the future you may want a setup with equal distances from the amp and you wont have to buy more wire.

From choices of wire I recommend Tasker TSK1016, it is Italian made and very good quality.

resize_image.php

How do you like the speakers? I thought you were getting Cantons, not Magnats? If you are not sure how you like the sound don't worry, you can always resell them and get something else. I've changed many many speakers. *wacko*

*bye*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts