Is there a TV/DVD player combo that can read DVD-ROM discs?

brucebantam

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Does anybody know of a make of television with a built-in DVD player which can read DVD-ROM discs, please? I am wanting to find a simple system for my mother-in-law, who is a 90 year old lady and therefore very limited in technical know-how. She wants to be able to view CDs or DVDs which have been made on a computer, and contain folders of JPEG images, family snapshots in fact.

So long as the DVD/CD player can open the folders and display the JPEGs, and you can run a sort of slideshow using the remote, that would be perfect.

The TV needs to have built-in freeview, but doesn't have to be HD ready.

Can anybody help? :help:

Thank you

Bruce :wave:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
brucebantam said:
She wants to be able to view CDs or DVDs which have been made on a computer

Who's making them on computer then? Or do you mean photos shot on film and with a CD when developed? You wouldn't get a DVD from the developing shop.... If someone else is putting the files on CD from a computer, they could put on a USB stick. Or why not use a panasonic digital camera and a panny TV and use an SD card?

brucebantam

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Me. I can output the images to any media. I have the computer and I understand the procedures. Yes, I could put them on a memory stick - I have several. I can burn CDs and DVDs, no problem there. Some of the (more recent) photos were taken on a digital camera, downloaded to a computer, and burnt to CD. Some are older prints which I've scanned and turned into JPEGs, then burnt to CD. I can view them at home on my 27" computer monitor any time.

The problem is it won't be me operating the the TV/combo. I won't be there. It is my sister-in-law who wants to be able to show the family photos to her Mum on her Mum's TV in a convenient and easy way, as and when new ones get taken. She doesn't have a computer, neither does her Mum, and neither have any desire to ever buy one. Hence the need for a TV with a DVD/CD player which can display files burnt to a DVD-ROM, or CD-ROM. They don't want to buy a seperate DVD player. We have a DVD player connected to our TV, and it can easily read the CDs and DVDs that I burn, and display the pictures (JPEGs) as a slide show - no problem. We tend not to use the TV for this as it is easier to simply use the 27" iMac.

Surely someone must manufacture a a TV/DVD combo which can read DVD/CD-ROMs? The problem I am having is whenever I look at the technical specifications of TV/DVD combos they give no information whatsoever as to whether that model can read DVD/CD-ROMs. Yet if you look for a dedicated DVD player it always gives you a long detailed list of the file formats it can read.

Why don't TV/DVD combos do the same? Hence, what I thought was a simple and straightforward enquiry on this forum. It seems I have asked an impossible question.

Bruce :wall:

brucebantam

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
In the end I managed to find one myself after a lot of searching. Linsar combi (not combo as I kept calling them) TVs do the job, so long as you are careful to format the CD/DVD correctly. That is a matter of experimentation I have discovered thanks to a helpful chap at Linsar technical support. It seems to work fine for most people, but not for others. I've had this problem before with my stand alone Phillips DVD player, and managed to solve it so I'm sure this won't be a problem.

This model has a superb easy-to-use remote control with large buttons, ideal for my 90 year old mother-in-law.

http://www.johnlewis.com/231313279/Product.aspx

Thanks for your help BenLaw.

Bruce :dance:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Bruce,

I'm glad you found a solution to your problem :) Sorry I couldn't be more helpful, and I didn't mean to make things more difficult, just looking for alternatives as I didn't know the answer to your problem :oops:

Cheers,
Ben

TRENDING THREADS