Is the Panasonic TH37PX80 the new model?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Dixons on line are advertising a Panasonic TH37PX80 plasma for £799. Is this the new model relacing the TH37PX70?

If it is the new model how come they selling before March 1st?

Matt_B

Oct 29, 2007
Visit site
it is the new model, probably bit shipping just yet regardless of if it says "in stock"

John Lewis plus others have next week as when stock arrives

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the '8' models are (unsurprisingly) the 2008 new sets - if retailers aren't keeping the embargo, I don't know why we should. Watch this space for the full story tomorrow....

What I can tell you ahead of that is (as with the '7' sets), all 'Z' models are Full HD, and 'X' models are HD Ready, with TH models being plasma and TX models being LCD.

There are 8, 80, 81, 85 and 800-series sets, with all new sets between 32-50in: the 26- and 65in sets from the current, '7' range live on for now.

LCD models are 32- and 37in only - including Full HD in both sizes.

Plasma models are 37-, 42, 46- (new screen size) and 50in - Full HD from 42in upwards.

Full tech details - inc rough timeline - to follow...

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much Clare, I will pop back tomorrow.

I agree with you that if the retailers are not going to bother waiting till March, why should you!

A

Anonymous

A full HD 32" tv, that's interesting. As a 21-year-old lad, it may not be a suprise that I like to have the occasional dabble with video games - or at least I did before I sold my xbox 360. Now that I have a bit more money to throw around again, I might buy another xbox 360, or a PS3 maybe.

Another thing, unfortunately I still suffer from the indignity of living at home with the parents, and so I reside in a fairly small bedroom.

Anyway, the relevance of all this is that I often sit quite close to my tv screen - currently a 26" Sony HD-Ready (720p) LCD tv which I am pretty happy with, especially when displaying content from my upscaling DVD player which has impressed me with it's ability to transform standard-def interlaced rubbish into a decent cinematic-looking, proggressive, high-definition image. Also, when I had my xbox 360, the high-def pictures were really sharp with bright, vivid colours. The only time that the tv's performance doesn't impress me is with it's onboard Freeview tuner - I actually prefer the analogue tuner because the analogue interference masks some of the horrid digital aretefacts!

To the point, I tend to sit close to my tv. For this reason, unlike many others (who will probably bombard this forum with messages shouting about the pointlessness of a 32" tv with a 1080p resolution), I am definitely interested, and looking forward to seeing in action, such a tv - ie a 32" tv with that glorious full HD resolution of 1080p!

And that is all I really have to say. While many of you will rant and rave about the stupidity of such a small tv having a resolution of 1080p, I will be quietly anticipating the arrival of a modestly sized but uncompromisingly specified top-notch telly! Roll on March, or whenever I will be able to get my grubby mitts on this tv of wonders...

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Don't these new Panasonics look nice!

Competitive prices being banded about too. Knew I had bought too early!! Wonder if I can get another - 'yes dear, we'd be reducing our carbon footprint if we bought this one...' - anyone falling for it??

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

Purchased the 37PX70 5 days ago. It arrived today....... I was holding back because I loved the new silver lined style of the new LCD range, I assumed this style would never come to the 37" plasma, as Panasonics website didn't mention it. How wrong was I!!!! I would be interested to know if there is a noticeable improvement when comparing the PX80 side by side with the PX70. I know it mentions the 100Hz rate and the 15000:1 contrast ratio. I keep telling myself the only desirable thing i have lost out on is the new style, as I will only be using the tv for SD broadcast.

If anyone is interested dabs.com and shop.bt.com are selling the new TH-37PX80 for £665, I believe this is the cheapest you will find it at the moment.

A

Anonymous

I have to say, I'm quite relieved by the announcement of the TH37PX80, as my 70 model has started clicking.

I bought the TH37PX70 in early december, and have to say the picture quality for films is excellent. There are fizzing pixels around moving on screen objects when watching sports like football and rugby (esp. low quality broadcast) but I can live with that.

Anyway, the screen has started clicking. Regularly (once every 10 minutes, at times). Its almost like the kind of double click noise you get when you switch the TV on. I have been wary of ringing the store thinking the 37" Plasmas have been discontinued, with Panasonic only supporting LCD at that screen size.

Now, if the set has to be replaced, at least I know they wont try to palm the LCD model off on me
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Just looking at the specs on John Lewis for the TH37PX80. The sound will be 'V-Audio with Bass Boost' Can anyone tell me what this actually might mean and how it my differ from my own TH37PX70.

Thank you

C

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
This from our News story, posted this morning:

"All Viera sets claim to be have been given a sonic boost via
Panasonic's V Audio upgrade, despite boasting 40 percent slimmer
speakers. The 800 series sets featuring an additional V Audio Surround
bass module."

Read the full News story here.

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
I am yet to hear a Flat Panel TV of either Plasma or LCD that has provided a sound that I could live with as my main source of sound hence going down the seperates route, so I would be very suprised if Panasonic can manage to change that as Slim speakers tend to deliver a slim lightweight sound.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
They claim to have done something very clever with rubber drivers.... Very hard to tell the veracity of this claim in the short demo we had at the launch: obviously we'll give them a much tougher work out in our test rooms!

But yes, don't throw away the separates just yet!

A

Anonymous

i saw the SD and HD picture on a TH37PX80 today.. i must say its pretty impressive for the prices... looks nicer too

A

Anonymous

Clare / Editor,

Help! I was all set to buy the Panasonic TH37PX70 from all the great reviews for the product and see that the new models are now out! Can you give me some guidance on the following points please?

1) I assume from the spec (not seen yet) of the new TH37PX80 that the performance will be at least as good as the old model? The reason I was going for the old model was its reviews from professionals as being class leading.

2) What's the advantage of being Full HD vs HD ready (which the old model and new model is)? I know you need a box to receive a HD pictures if HD ready.

3) Are we better of going for the new 37in LCD instead of the plasma as I think it's full HD and better pixel spec than the 37in plasma's? The only reason we weren't going for this was because a couple of reviews said the blacks won't be as good as the Plasma 37in.

By the way, we watch most things in SD at present.

Thanks for any help.

Andy

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi Andy,

So difficult to tell from specs (and the quick glances we've had - at previews, and today when I was out spying in shops!) how the '8' series Panas shape up, not just against the older sets but more importantly against all the other new flatscreens about to pour onto the market. We'll know more very shortly, once we've had more in to spend quality time.

The advantage of a set being Full HD is that you'll be able to enjoy Blu-ray discs and other 1080p high-definition video content (from your computer or camcorder) at the native resolution, without it being downscaled (which is what an HD Ready set will do).

The disadvantage of a higher-resolution, Full HD TV is that is has to upscale SD content even more than an HD Ready TV, which can become very noticeable with poorer-quality broadcasts and/or DVDs.

To be honest, on a 37in set (and sometimes even 42in) a superb HD Ready set can outperform a poor Full HD set with whatever you throw at it, so I wouldn't worry unduly about resolution: especially as you're sticking with SD for now.

I'd look for 1080p/24fps compatibility to make sure your new set can deal with the new formats as/when/if you want to buy into them in the future, but other than that be confident that any set you buy does the things well YOU want it to do.

And yes, although LCDs are getting better with black levels, plasmas still rule the roost in this area.

So, in short - don't get too hung up with specs, and if you don't have to buy this minute, i'd wait a month or so to see just how well the 2008 sets shape up in serious testing. Just because Panasonic had a cracking 2007 line-up it doesn't mean it'll be TV top dog this year.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts